Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 25 of 42
22 January 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
I've been missing for a couple of weeks and I'm still trying to catch up with everything again (and hopefully for the last time). Since you already commented how you make your charts (might need something similar for a web project) I'll just remind you that I'm still here and I'll be glad to help with all things Spanish if necessary. Otherwise, congrats on a greatly paced study!
1 person has voted this message useful

Rhadryn
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5178 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin, German

Message 26 of 42
24 January 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Update 3 (15/1-21/1)

Thoughts:

Yikes, only three weeks in and I'm already late on updates? I've been distracted since Sunday and it has really affected my study time--I've only barely finished my routine studying. Hopefully the distraction will have been mitigated by tomorrow. Still, this week I racked up 42 hours of study time, woo!

Japanese

I actually spent 15 hours this week on Japanese, finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and took a break for two days by trying to read 銀河鉄道の夜. I've wanted to read this for at least the past two years (inspired by a movie, 文学少女). I made it halfway and decided the story was too weird and/or I wasn't understanding enough to enjoy it.

Reluctantly I dove into the fourth Harry Potter book. "Why reluctant?", you might ask if you're not a Harry Potter fan. This book has almost twice the number of words as the third (which took me nearly three months to complete). Taking six months to read a single book in my target language is far from ideal.

I did learn an amazing word in the first chapter though: 朽ちる (くちる), which means to rot in obscurity. How cool is that? The specificity of the word, I mean, not actually doing it.

Russian

I wrote a self-introduction on Lang-8! I'll post it here soon. Otherwise nothing new: studying with learnrussian.rt, vocab from various sources, and practicing word formation.

German

Finished Assimil completely and got tired of doing the course on that website. I played the game Das Geheimnis der Himmelsscheibe, and finished it. A nice interlude, but it only lasted 3 days. I'm not sure what to do next.

Spanish

Easily the most fun and doesn't really feel like studying. I'm not convinced that it's the most effective way to study, but it's certainly low-stress.

French

Now reading about and from Lamartine. He's a little too much like Wordsworth for my taste, seeming to revel in the details for their own sake, but I do like his rhythm and sounds. Of the ones I've read so far, "Le Lac" is my favorite of his poems.

Arabic

Finished with Unit 6, and only three letters left of the alphabet! The book should last another two weeks though. I'm getting better at distinguishing the emphatic letters, but there are so many sounds now that I'm getting many confused occasionally. I think I just need more practice though.

Rhadryn
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5178 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 

Message 27 of 42
24 January 2013 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Jaseur: Wow, that's quite a compliment! And that sounds really nice, to have lots of choice in Japanese reading. I would love to read the Lies of Locke Lamora, and I'll try to see if I can pick up the Amulet of Samarkand somehow.

Thanks Mr Warper for your encouragement and offer to help! I don't intend to be producing any Spanish this year or doing any hardcore studying, but it's nice to have the option!

The chart with the graphs and calculations should be available here. I left all my data in there to give an example, but it should be pretty easy to adjust and delete. Also, I'm not sure how it will behave in Excel, because although it's an .xls document I have only used OpenOffice to look at it. If there are any problems or questions, feel free to ask!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 28 of 42
25 January 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
I love how when you're distracted you still manage to get in over 42 hours in one week. I have virtually nothing else I have to do, but when I'm distracted or stressed, I get almost nothing done. Sometimes I don't even get an hour a day, let alone 6.

I wasn't able to see your chart at all, but it could be for a variety of reasons, including my bad internet connection or my own stupidity.

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 29 of 42
25 January 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Again, amazing charts. You have so much time to study and you put it to such good use! Keep up the good work fellow MIR-nik!

Rhadryn
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5178 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 

Message 30 of 42
27 January 2013 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement, Brun Ugle and Toffeeliz! One thing that really helps with getting things done when I'm distracted is having a bunch of different activities that I know I'm supposed to do every day. So even if I'm not in the frame of mind to do one thing, I'll do something else and come back to it later. I use the website https://chains.cc/ to keep list and record progress.

Here's my Russian introduction:

Здравствуйте! Меня зовут Джошуа. Мне двадцать четыре года. Сейчас я живу в США, в Северном Каролине. Я—преподаватель английского языка, но терерь у меня нет работы. Мне нравятся изучать иностранные языкы и играть на музыкальних инструментах. Когда-нибудь я напишу ещё раз. До свидания!

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4126 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 31 of 42
27 January 2013 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Good work with all the studying! Your idea of bite-sized is a super-size meal for me!

В Северной Каролине - Carolina is feminine, so you need to put them both in feminine prepositional.
Но я не работаю сейчас - Yours is good too, but comes across as sad, like you were fired or lost your job, whereas this would be more like a temporary break (semester break, a lull in student registrations, or even just a holiday)
Нравится - you need the singular here, not the plural.

Very impressive work, all those languages. I'm juggling two and giving myself headaches. My third language goal (French) has fallen to the wayside, although I don't really need to work on my French as it's basically my second native language, I just don't ever use it anymore.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 32 of 42
27 January 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
You seem to be doing an absolutely amazing job, and I do not know how you do it, studying so many
languages at the same time. I am working mainly on Russian and Greek and that is hard enough. Oh. And I
love your graphs too :-)

Are you planning on participating in the 6wc? I would love for team Mir to have a strong group. Last February
team Sputnik simply ruled the competition. You would not have to participate with Russian, but since you are
a beginner that might be a good choice.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version