United States
Joined 5178 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin, German

Message 41 of 42
03 April 2013 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Update 6 (26/03-01/04)

(The chart should say week 13, but I'm too lazy to change it at the moment)
Thoughts:

My focus languages went well. The others, not so much, but they're getting better.

Japanese

I'm doing really well with reading, but it has mostly been reading of the visual novel, which is easier and more interesting. Harry Potter is quite uninspiring at present.

Russian

I am seriously addicted to Одна Ночь Любви. Also, I've now learned all the vocabulary words in Penguin up to chapter 22. The verbs are still the hardest--they still mostly look the same and I mix them up frequently, but they're definitely getting easier.

German

I did another lesson in the textbook, and then decided that the book was too elementary and skimmed through the rest (about half) in 20 minutes, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything important. This week I will start doing Assimil again and make flashcards.

Spanish

El Temor de un Hombre Sabio isn't as gripping as the first book and thus is easier to put down, but I can still read for half an hour straight without difficulty.

French

I watched the news all but one day this week and I think my listening comprehension is progressing well. Again, I need to pick up the literature book, even if just every other day.

Arabic

Finished Assimil lesson 12, hahah. I finally caught up with the flashcards, though. I'm up to 50 words, 10% of my goal. I'd better work faster.

Edited by Rhadryn on 09 April 2013 at 11:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Rhadryn
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5178 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin, German

Message 42 of 42
09 April 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Update 7 (02/04-08/04)

Thoughts:

A productive week, especially considering how much I travelled. Also, as of yesterday there are 10 years remaining in my long-term language fluency goals.

Japanese

The visual novel is coming along more fluidly, but I think I only read Harry Potter once this week, and fairly briefly.

Russian

I started practicing word declension and conjugation again this week. It's painful, but absolutely necessary I think. Одна Ночь Любви is almost intolerably addictive. I've learned a lot more Russian words and I'm thinking in Russian a bit more. There's one word I learned today and no matter how many times I practice saying it, I trip over my tongue: распространённый (widespread, common).

German

I only did German every other day, but it was so difficult. I keep trying to use Russian instead, which doesn't happen with any of my other languages. Although this is probably due to being out of practice and not putting enough time into it, I've decided to shelve German for the present. I'll pick it up again sometime when I'm feeling especially motivated.

Spanish

No problems.

French

I was very consistent with watching the news, and I read some from the literature textbook as well. I'm enjoying the poetry of Alfred de Musset, but nothing has really stood out yet.

Arabic

Now finished with Assimil lesson 15. It's a lot of fun, and I think now that I don't have German pressure I'll be much more consistent with Arabic.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version