United States
Joined 4691 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 9 of 21
11 January 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
A cool language resource:

I started using the Chrome browser recently, and downloaded the Google Dictionary
extension. It is a very fast, fully-integrated pop-up dictionary that works on any
webpage you visit in Chrome. The only thing is it does not support Persian or Arabic
yet, but it does support a lot of European languages, Korean, Russian and Chinese.

I would recommend it to those of you studying other languages. It makes reading on the
web far easier and works better than any secondary pop-up dictionary I've ever used.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6953 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 10 of 21
11 January 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Hendrek, to answer your question on books in script that represent the informal speech patterns, Routledge's Colloquial Persian, by Abdi Rafiee, is written in this way. Another French-based book, Manuel de Persan, by Christophe Balay and Hossein Esmaili, also uses the colloquial forms, both in transliteration and in the Persian alphabet.

ADDENDUM: Another book that uses primarily the colloquial form is the Living Language Farsi book. It teaches both the standard and the colloquial forms, but looking at the dialogues in it, these mostly seem to be in the more informal form.

Edited by daristani on 29 January 2013 at 6:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4691 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 

Message 11 of 21
24 January 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
daristani, thanks so much for the help (and previous help you've provided)!

Log:

My Persian studies suffered a bit last week. I only made it through a few more Assimil
lessons, and my Anki piled up a bit. But, I did finish listening through the Chai and
Conversation podcasts several times. I've also been turning on the radio periodically
to get some extensive listening in.

I posted in the team thread about TransOver being able to show pop-up definitions of
Persian words. I have tried reading through The Little Prince a little with this, but
still have a good bit of difficulty. I found my Italian version, so I'm trying to read
a paragraph in L2 (Italian) to get the meaning, then in L3 (Persian) with the pop-up to
try to pick up on things more easily. However, as I mentioned, there still is no
pronunciation indicated in the pop-up which is very limiting. I'm worried that I might
learn the wrong pronunciation on words.

Does anyone out there know of any quick-reference dictionaries for Persian that
indicate pronunciation? Ideally something that does not involve going to other
websites each time I find an unknown word.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any good online HTML texts that have pronunciation
markers included?

To me, this is like a giant wall standing in between me and Persian. I have to find
some way to scale it, as reading is the way that I learn vocabulary best. Then LR once
I have enough vocabulary to follow the gist of a longer text.

In other news, I have recently experimented with verbling.com, but it doesn't yet
support Persian (I don't understand stuff like this, as all it seems is needed is an
option to click on "Persian" as a language, then wait to see if anyone matches, as in
literally just add a string to a list). However, I signed up with Italian to get some
speaking practice in. The idea is great, as it's a chat-roulette style site for
languages. You get paired with someone who speaks your L2* and then you speak 5
minutes in L2 and 5 minutes in L1, etc, etc. A timer lets you know that it's time to
switch, so I literally found myself having to switch mid-sentence, which was
interesting. The website is still in Beta mode and needs improvements to video and
audio feeds, but should be a speaking-practice game changer once improved.

*in theory one is paired with a native L2 speaker, though for my three successful
connections, once I was paired with a guy from Turkey, once with someone from Tunisia,
and once with someone from Italy. So, 2 out of 3 didn't actually speak Italian. I
wonder if people haven't gotten smart and checked that they speak all the languages
available to increase their chances of being matched with an English speaker...

Anyway, hopefully I'll make more progress this week compared to last.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4677 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean

Message 12 of 21
25 January 2013 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Persian seems like the perfect language for listening-reading. The problem is finding audiobooks... I remember one resource I posted on the team thread (a day in...) had audio files, but I suppose it might be difficult to read if it's rather literary...

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4691 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 

Message 13 of 21
25 January 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Druckfehler, yes, I think LR will be very helpful to me eventually for learning to read
and pronounce correctly at the same time. However, it is very difficult to find
materials.

I do have that link and have looked at it. I might just have to slog through it as it
is perhaps the answer to everything that I am looking for at the moment. Perhaps
learning 90% of that particular text and listening and reading it would be a good way
to prep for LRing other texts and reading The Little Prince more quickly.

Now for something mostly unrelated, I have posted some links to internet language
resources, or ways to find more information on Iran or Persian or other things in the
team thread. Go check it out and let me know if anyone finds anything to be useful!

daristani
United States
Joined 6953 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 14 of 21
25 January 2013 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
I don't know whether or not it would be useful to you or not, but this site has a sort of course in Persian with audio, Arabic script (vowels marked), and transliteration that you can follow along with online:

http://www.persian-language.org/learning-list.html

There are four "books" of 16 lessons each; you start with the top one (کتاب اول), with the first lesson being on the top right , and go down to lesson two just below, etc.. I haven't worked with it, but it seems like a way to get a bit of practice in pronunciation, matching the sounds with the written vocabulary, etc.

ADDENDUM: Further to the above website, it seems that there are four volumes of a textbook that can be downloaded from the associated site, which accompany the videos.
The book is:

Doctor Ahmad Saffarmoqaddam -- Teaching Persian Language and Culture to Non-Persian Speakers

title: ( آموزش زبان و فرهنگ ايران به غير فارسي زبانان (آزوفا)

author: آقاي دكتر احمد صفارمقدم

The books can only be downloaded in sections, though, making it a very tedious process. Accordingly, I downloaded them and have uploaded them as follows for those interested:

volume one: http://mirrorstack.com/pk207jnfzng6

volume two: http://mirrorstack.com/w53dkthw4l9a

volume three: http://mirrorstack.com/6ts6sfh2f08m

volumne four: http://mirrorstack.com/03d4g09g868y

They're all rather large files, but are very readable, and I think that, along with the videos, they provide a fairly comprehensive introduction to Persian, as well as plenty of practice materials for those using other books.

Edited by daristani on 27 January 2013 at 7:56pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4677 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean

Message 15 of 21
02 February 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Wow, these books look really good! Thank you so much for pointing out the resource and for uploading them, daristani!

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4691 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 

Message 16 of 21
06 February 2013 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Daristani, thanks again for the help with stuff! I tried downloading what you linked and
it says that it's no longer available. I just now saw the stuff, and maybe the posting
has since expired? I'll try finding it on the linked site.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version