21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
daristani
United States
Joined 6954 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 17 of 21
06 February 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Hendrek, I just checked the first link I provided (to volume one of the four-book series) and most of the links still seem to work. In any event, let me know if you have any further problems and, if need be, I can shoot you the files via e-mail.

Best regards, and good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4692 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 18 of 21
12 February 2013 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
daristani, I tried again and it still didn't work. It's probably something from my
end... but it's alright, as I've probably got too many materials as it is. I
bookmarked the place though and will go back to it once I'm further along in my skills.

I've been pretty much listening to podcasts and Assimil lessons to practice my Persian
recently. I've also been doing quite a bit of Anki inputs and reviews. I'm putting
all of the Assimil Le Persan vocabulary into a 3-way Anki deck. Even though the book
is in French, I've input them as Persian, roman transliteration, and English. There
are currently 535 unique cards (bi-directional makes 1070) and growing. I have started
labeling each card with a tag based on the lesson number. I could go back and add
these tags for older lessons if someone wants the deck for use with the Assimil book.
I'll share this work-in-progress version with anyone who is interested for now and once
I'm finished, I'll generally share it under "Assimil Persian".

I have just tried something new that I think will be helpful. Well, maybe not "new",
as I did this for Italian already, but still new for Persian. Through GLOSS or
jlu.wbtrain, I get into their reading lessons that have associated audio and use
TransOver to read through it on my own and get the meaning of the text. Then I LR it
some, then just listen or just read.

Of course, this is nothing new to anyone here in concept, but this is really tough to
do with Persian. There's a lack of transcribed materials and a lack of pop-up
dictionaries. With this combination though, I've found a way and hopefully I can get
on with learning by reading in earnest. As I've mentioned before, this is a major part
of my learning style and something that has been really difficult with Persian so far.

Between a vocabulary that's around 1000 words now, and a way to break into reading, I
think I may finally be on the right path to making some real progress. Now I just have
to keep slogging away at it without letting everything else get in the way :)

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4692 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 

Message 19 of 21
12 February 2013 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Oh, also for those who wanted to use The Little Prince as a resource but can't access or
play .ram files (or just don't want to download RealPlayer), you can find the .rm files
at the behdad,org site that is linked in the team thread's first page and use zamzar.com
to convert them to mp3 or some other useful format. It's free to use.

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4692 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 

Message 20 of 21
25 February 2013 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
سلام و علیک به هر کسی

So it's time for an update here. I have been mostly doing the same classes of things,
but I've intentionally been listening a lot more for Persian. Specifically, I've
downloaded a single podcast (BBC radio select - Persian episode) and have been
listening to the same segment repeatedly. I find I've been picking up more and more of
it each time I listen. The idea is that this gives me a chance to learn to keep up
with the audio over time.

I've also started one new thing, inspired by druckfehler: I have begun transferring all
of Assimil's Persian text into a Google document. This is serving as a review of the
vocabulary and sentences from Assimil, typing practice, and spelling practice. I have
transferred through lesson 35 now and I can already touch type a few common words
without trouble, and can think through most letters without looking too often.

The other outcome will be a condensed text (free of Assimil's formatting) that I can
read through while listening to the lessons. So it should make it a little more
convenient to accomplish some LR with known material, since I won't have to have the
book on me to do it, and I won't have to flip through the pages and try to concentrate
on the Persian amongst the transliteration and French in the book.

Overall, I've found typing to be useful... I suppose it's somewhat akin to the
scriptorium practice, though one can write by typing almost as fast as I can interpret
the meaning of the Persian sentences, so it doesn't slow me down like hand writing it
would.

The other thing is that I've hit a wall with Assimil. I have been on lesson 65 for
something like 2 weeks now. This isn't because I can't get through the lesson, it's
because I just haven't forced myself forward. One hangup is that it is all in French.
I can get the gist of the grammar explanations in French, but much is lost when it
comes to the actual translation nuances of the Persian text. The particular vocabulary
words are typically unknown too, which means that I have to go to a dictionary or
Google Translate and find the English equivalent for the French before I can even get
started on the next lesson. This has just gotten so tiresome that I've basically
stopped. By going back to the beginning and starting a typing wave, I'm hoping to
cement what I've already learned, and maybe kick myself back into it.

I really feel that the Assimil program is a very good one, full of information, so I
want to keep going back to it. For instance, now that I'm to lesson 65 in the passive
wave, I find that the texts within Mace's book are pretty transparent to me. So, I
must actually be assimilating something useful!

I mentioned last time that I've tried getting into GLOSS lessons. I did not stick to
it this week, but plan to get back to it soon. I'm still chasing that elusive cross-
over point to where I can begin reading simple native materials without it feeling like
a headache.

The key is still to find some easy way of identifying the pronunciation of a word, or
of finding a way to add short vowel markers to texts. I'm sure there is some corpus of
Persian learning texts out there with short vowels marked, I just have yet to find
them.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4678 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean

Message 21 of 21
03 April 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I've given up on Persian for now, though I hope to get back to it later. But I'll still be following your log, I hope the studying is going well! It's motivating to see how far you've gotten with Persian already!

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version