Joined 4924 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Estonian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 36
09 January 2013 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Tere,

A brief post to get my TAC 2013 Estonian log started.

I have been learning Estonian slowly ever since my first visit to Tallinn in 2006 and have signed up for TAC as I feel that I really need to concentrate on studies this year to move to a good conversational level.

I have just returned from two weeks in Tallinn and got some very good listening/speaking practice with my friends there. As usual when I return, my head is full of Estonian and I intend to keep it alive this time ready for my next trip in late April.

I will give some background on the sources I use and my study methods in my next post.

Tiktok

Edited by Tiktok on 09 January 2013 at 9:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 36
10 January 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Tere tulemast! Tore näha, et siin on ka logi eesti keeli (eesti keeles) või eesti keelest.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 3 of 36
10 January 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi Tiktok

Just out of interest, what was it about the Estonian language that drew you in over other languages from countries you've visited?

I very much enjoy following logs of people who study less studied languages and Estonian definitely falls into that category for me.

Good luck!

Edited by hribecek on 10 January 2013 at 9:28pm

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6028 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 4 of 36
10 January 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I will definitely read your log! I've only made a short trip to Estonia several years ago but I would really like to return
soon. It's an interesting country with a fascinating history. And a really cool language!

//aloysius

Tiktok
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 4924 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 36
10 January 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Hi Tiktok

Just out of interest, what was it about the Estonian language that drew you in over other languages from countries you've visited?

I very much enjoy following logs of people who study less studied languages and Estonian definitely falls into that category for me.

Good luck!

Hello :)

There is no short way to answer your question so allow me to ramble a little :

I have played around with language learning several times in the past and never really got anywhere, partly because I didn't know how to actually learn and partly through lack of motivation to learn.

My first visit to Estonia back in 2006 was driven by quite random circumstances. In late 2005 I was writing a computer game and on the game's forum I got a message from a gamer who wanted to take part in a beta test we were running. I started chatting with him on the forum and eventually we were talking about where we both came from (me from the UK and him from Estonia). I have to admit that I needed to get an atlas out at that point to find out exactly where Estonia was and after reading quite a bit of history discovered what sounded like a really interesting place.

During early 2006, gamer guy introduced me to a few more gaming friends of his from Estonia on chat and it ended with me being sufficiently interested in Estonia to book a trip there in July 2006 to stay with my new 'friends' for two weeks. As an aside, most people I knew here in the UK were expecting me to never be seen again - gadding off across Europe to meet people I had only ever talked to via text and phone.

I have been to several countries in Europe during my time but I can honestly say that in Estonia I felt like a person without a language. My hosts spoke perfect English to me but hearing a local language that sounded like singing (for want of a better decription) when I was amongst a larger group and seeing weird words everywhere that I had no idea of the meaning felt really strange. I think my interest in Estonian was formed right there on my first visit because of it's unique sound and very foreign (to me) nature, unlike say German, Dutch or Danish (which always sounds to me like English that I haven't quite heard properly).

Anyway, during that first visit I picked up an Estonian textbook (the classic Estonian Textbook by Juhan Tuldava) and, having fallen in love with the country itself, promised myself that I would try and learn something of the language before I travelled back there again.

That was 2006 and the start of a long period of mostly reading and vocabulary building to the detriment of listening and speaking practice. Fast forward to 2013 when I have just returned from my 14th trip, my textbook is looking decidedly poorly and my bookshelf has a nice selection of Estonian language fiction which I can now mostly read without any trouble. I also started listening and speaking exercises during 2012 and this has really moved on my Estonian to the point that I can have some conversations as long as the counterparty is willing to slow it down a little.

Overall, I think the extreme difference of the Estonian language from anything else I had ever heard (both in sound and structure) coupled with my love for the country has driven my learning so far. I have also learned how to learn a language while doing so and am already looking for another challenge but that can wait for now until I improve my skills in Estonian.

I hope that answers your question :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tiktok
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 4924 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 36
15 January 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Estonian

Reading - Good - I can read Estonian news articles and literature with relative ease and have a vocabulary of around 5000-6000 words.

Writing - I can write in Estonian but have trouble with the direct object case system - this is one of my goals for improvement this year.

Listening - Listening in Estonian is my weakest skill due to not starting early enough. I can understand spoken Estonian as long as the speaker speaks clearly and uses simple sentences. I find I cannot think quickly enough to follow more complex sentences. When listening to groups speaking, I can usually follow the general direction of the conversation but not the detail. A definite goal for improvement this year.

Speaking - I can speak Estonian with a little thought and can get by in Tallinn when I am shopping for example. I am told that I have a very good Estonian accent although I do not do a very good job of pronouncing ä and a distinctly. Another definite goal for improvement this year.

My sources

Estonian Textbook - Juhan Tuldava
Excellent textbook with grammar notes, examples, reading passages and exercises as well as a good vocabulary. The book progresses through the Estonian grammar system gradually introducing more topics and reinforcing learning with plenty of original reading passages and exercises.

My copy of this textbook from 2006 is now extremely worn as I study parts of it nearly every day - these days mostly as reminders of particular grammar points.

The book has just been reprinted and is (or was on Jan 3rd) available from Rahva Raamat bookstore in Tallinn (in the Viru centre) or from their website.

Postimees and Õhtuleht - print editions
Postimees and Õhtuleht are Estonian newspapers wwhich I have a fair collection of now after many visits and the occasional parcel from friends. If you travel on an Estonian Air flight there are generally free copies of both paper at the boarding ramp - I always come back from my travels with 2 new copies of each.

Postimees and Delphi websites
Postimees website and Delphi are both packed with Estonian news stories ranging from international politics and finance to lost cats and accidents. Always something new to read and both have well written accessible articles.

TV3 and ETV
TV3 has a large range of streamable Estonian TV series. I have been watching Elu Keset Linna (Life in the city centre) - an Estonian soap and Kättemaksukontor (Revenge Office) - an amusing crime drama show.

ETV has live streaming of Estonian TV programs from ETV1 and ETV2 as well as several radio stations. Not all programs are available outside Estonia but there is usually something to watch at most hours of the day.

Nõmme Raadio
Nõmme Raadio has a media bank with around 30 audio books for streaming or download. I obtained a full version of George Orwell's 1984 from here and did some L-R study as well as playing it whilst out walking.

Estonian literature
I have acquired and read quite a few Estonian books during my many visits.

I have read Kevade (Spring) by Oscar Luts, Punane Elavhõbe (Red Mercury) by Andres Anvelt, Rehepaap by Andrus Kivirähk (I have the audiobook and print versions) and Mees, kes teadis uusisõnu (The man who spoke snakish) also by Andrus Kivirähk (I have the audiobook and print versions).

Following my Christmas visit, I now have three more books to read - Suvi (Oskar Luts), Puhastus (Sofi Oksanen) and Mina olin siin (Sass Henno).

Eesti Keele Struktuur
Estonian language structure by Martin Ehala - a high school/college Estonian language grammar which was recommended by several Estonians. I finally managed to find a copy of this during my Christmas visit at the excellent Bookmoth (Raamatukoi) store in Tallinn (their e-shop centre on Laki 12, 10621 Tallinn). My new grammar study material for the coming year.

Whilst on the subject of Bookmoth (Raamatukoi), if you are in Tallinn you should visit their huge second hand bookstore near the Tourist Information office just off Town Hall Square - a huge choice of Estonian language books of all kinds from literature to reference, arts to textbooks.

Edited by Tiktok on 15 January 2013 at 11:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 7 of 36
16 January 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks for answering my question, it was a nice story. I always love language learning stories.

You said that you've been to Estonia 14 times, is that always for about 2 weeks? If so, I guess you still speak to your friends in English, if you say your speaking is still quite weak?

Would you like to move there?

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4347 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 8 of 36
16 January 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
I'm always delighted to see people learning Finnic languages! Thanks for the thorough list of resources: finding the right materials is always a struggle. The free audio books, especially, should come in handy somewhere down the road.

Study hard!

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version