Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5470 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 63
20 January 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Если мы идйем в Петер мы будаюм напмищиете Вы. Если Вы в Москва будете тоже!

Thanks for the corrections and the compliment. I've been at it for nearly three months
now. I've learnt so much just from reading your answer.
1 person has voted this message useful

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 10 of 63
20 January 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Если мы едем в Питер, обязательно напишем вам. (идём would be walking to St. Petersburg, and that seems a tad ambitious :D. You can't have a prefixed verb with будем so here you would use the form напишем , as a one-time future plan, with a focus on result. The verb to write takes the dative case, when referring to the person you are writing to.)
В Москве. (You need prepositional here, as you are talking about where something or someone is).

I will definitely let you know if I'm in Moscow. I've only been there once.

Today's progress
I'm currently reviewing Colloquial Russian 2, chapter 3. I haven't seen any new words, but I need to review this because it's verbs of motion, my weakest point. I understand them perfectly in conversation, but producing them correctly is a work in progress. I tend to confuse myself by overthinking everything. As usual, I need to just listen to my instinct, as I've developed a good ear for what's right and what's not.

I had a 20 minute conversation today with my student's mother, all in Russian. She told me that my Russian is quite good. I don't quite agree. I know I made several mistakes, but she didn't seem to mind and there were no problems in understanding each other.

Goals for the week (January 20-26)
Finnish:
-TY Finnish: Units 3, 4
-FSI Units 1,2
-A few podcasts, learn fruits and vegetables

Russian:
-Get to unit 5 in Colloquial Russian
-Work through some of the Russian text book
-Start a book, ie: download an e-book and start reading.

French:
-Find and finish a novel.
-More grammar from the student workbook I have, trying to refresh all the grammar rules I have forgotten since high school.
2 persons have voted this message useful

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 11 of 63
24 January 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Just a short update. I ended up spending a lot more time on the editing/proofreading than expected, so my studying was pushed aside. The proofreading pays, while my studying doesn't (at least not yet).

As for my studying:
-I have started reading a John Grisham book in Russian, am 56 pages in so far. I'll write a short synopsis tomorrow.
-I discovered memrise and have spent many hours on there. I now know most colours in Finnish, and am going through a "3rd year Russian" course, although I've only encountered 2 new words in there so far. I'm also doing a course titled "4th year Russian: Russia Today" which has quite a few new words for me.
-I need to work on my numbers in Finnish. I was doing TY Finnish, and am at unit 3, where they introduce time. I understood the concept and was happily going to say the time, when I realized that I cannot count higher than 6. Doh! So that's my focus at the moment. That's actually a bit embarrassing, but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. And while I can tell you colours, what I do, where I live, and some other things, I apparently cannot count higher than 6.

Hopefully I will have some good news to report on Sunday when I next update. I think that will be my schedule, twice weekly updates, a short one mid-week, to check myself and see what I've done, and then a bigger one on the week-end to recap the previous week, as well as set goals for the upcoming week.

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5470 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 63
25 January 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Glad you're managing to get some studying done. I know how frustrating it can be when you're job takes up all your time and then you're too tired to study! Keep it up!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 13 of 63
25 January 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
One thing that I don't like in TY Finnish is that many of the exercises simply ask for a translation of a Finnish sentence or question to English (e.g. "A Finn asks you Anteeksi, mitä kello on? What is he asking?"). For the amount of material taught, the opportunities to practice using the book just don't measure up. If you want some extra practice in basic Finnish take a look at this site meant for new immigrants to Finland. There's even a handout with exercises about telling the time or talking about dates, among other topics.

There's no audio but it's useful supplementary material for practicing reading and writing.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 14 of 63
27 January 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
So my week wasn't as productive as I would have liked, but I did accomplish a fair bit.

Finnish:
-Not nearly as much as I would have liked, but around 75 words on memrise. My numbers are still iffy between 6-10. I've got the others mostly figured out though.

Russian:
-Reading "Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer" by John Grisham. It's a young adult novel, and I'm quite enjoying it so far. I'm at page 106.
-finished chapter 5 in Colloquial Russian.
-Had another 30 minute conversation with the student's mother about language learning, textbooks, and the joys of Finnish.

French:
-Other than a long conversation with the French teacher on Monday, I accomplished nothing.

Not very impressive, but then again, I tend to set rather higher goals, especially since I've seen what other people have done. :(

I went to the book market yesterday and got a bunch of books, so now I am quite motivated to read through them all ASAP. Most are of the teen variety, but I think it will help me build up so that I am less frustrated when I move on to "real books".

The books I bought are:
- Карлсон, который живёт на крыше
-Внеклассное чтение, 5 класс
-Внеклассное чтение, 6 класс
-Чебурашка, крокодил Гена, Шапокляк и все-все-все
-Битва начинается
-Брида (Пауло Коэльо)
-Валькирии (Пауло Коэльо)
-Все 7 книг серии Гарри Поттер

Admittedly, 4 of them are definitely kids books, possibly early teens. The Cheburashka book is because I have an obsession with Cheburashka. I have a large collection of stuffed versions, so I figured I'd add a literary version as well. Karlson is a classic, so I could keep it for my future children. The two books for school reading I figure might be useful as they appear to be short stories. I'll look and see if I can find essay topics that they ask them to write about, and I will try my hand at that.

Tomorrow night I'll post a synopsis of the Grisham book so far. I've got it written down, but I don't have the energy to type it all tonight. My Russian typing is still quite slow.

Before I go, let's see a few realistic goals for this week:

Russian
-Another 100 pages in the book, although ideally finish it (316 pages total, so 210 to go)
-Up to Chapter 7 in Colloquial Russian
-The "book report" on the Grisham book
-One essay of my choosing, which I will then post here
-At least 75-100 words on memrise

Finnish:
-FSI 1, plus workbook activities
-Another 25-50 words on memrise
-Get the numbers down properly
-Units 3 and 4 from TY Finnish

French:
-Do something, anything really.

Chung: Thanks, I will check those out. I do find it annoying to not really have anything useful practise-wise in there, but I'm hoping that the other materials will help me out.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 15 of 63
28 January 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Today's progress: Up to page 182 of the book. I'm optimistic that I'll finish it tomorrow. Then hopefully by Wednesday I'll write up a critique. I don't think I'll continue the "play by play" like I did for the first part.

As mentioned previously, here is the synopsis/recap of the book, up to page 100 or so.

Книга о тринадцатилетнем мальчике. Его зовут Теодор Бун. Его родители обе юристы. Отец специализирует в недвижимости, и Тео думает, что это очень скучный вид суда. Отца зовут Вудс Бун. Сын иногда это произносит как «Вудспун», как по-английски будет ложка из дерева. Мать зовут Марселла, она работает в семейном виде суда, то есть с разводами и так далее. Она бывает в суде, и можно догадаться, только смотря на её одежду. Старший Бун редко кидает свой офис, почти все дела по телефону, клиентам даже не надо заходить в офис.
История начинает с обычными делами – завтрак и дорога в школу. На завтрак он всегда ест хлопья с молоком, и, если правильно поняла, его собака (Судья) тоже.
В городе (Страттенберг) начинается судебный процесс в убийстве Майри Даффи. Обвиняемый – мужчина, Питер Даффи. Жертва – его жена. Нет свидетелей, и нет доказательства.
В первый день процесса, Тео и студенты его класса ездят и смотрят. Все думают, что Даффи виновен. Тео тоже так думает, но не голосовал, так как знает, что в Америке есть презумпция невиновности. И это самое главное право. Штат должен доказывать без сомнения, что обвиняемый виновен.
Они слушали вступительную речь обоих сторон. В три часа, делали перерыв, и восьмиклассники вернулись в школу. После школы Тео побежал обратно, чтобы смотреть дальше. Тео очень интересуется судом, и он хочет стать юристом. У него даже есть свой кабинет в офисе его родителей. Он даёт советы друзьям и школьникам.
Первым свидетелем была сестра жертвы. Она нашла тело её сестры. Они должны были встретиться на обед, но когда сестра не пришла и не звонила, она разволновалась. После двух часов звонков без ответа, она ездила к сестре и нашла тело.

Number of words: 269

Edited by milesaway on 28 January 2013 at 8:16pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 16 of 63
28 January 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
milesaway wrote:

На завтрак он всегда ест хлопья с молоком, и если правильно поняла его собака (Судья)
тоже.

Получилось, что собака правильно поняла. На завтрак он всегда ест хлопья с молоком, и,
если я правильно поняла, его собака тоже (или его собака - тоже).

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version