Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 17 of 63
28 January 2013 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Хаха! Ой. Извиняюсь. Спасибо большое.
Смотря на тетрадку, я там правильно написала, но видимо забыла запятую.

Edited by milesaway on 28 January 2013 at 8:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

alexheaton
United Kingdom
Joined 4242 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 63
29 January 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Hi, I've just come across your log and I thought I'd say good luck with your studies! I too am doing both Finnish and Russian at the moment, but for me it's the Russian that I'm starting from nothing, using Memrise and TY too. I look forward to reading more of your updates and hope that I can eventually understand some of the Russian! :D

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 19 of 63
07 February 2013 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
I did not have time to write an update on the week-end, as I was busy with hockey and well, life.

Let's see, I have finished that John Grisham book. I will post the second half of the recap/review. I think I finished that on the 31st. I have read 2 short stories in Russian (from the 5th grade reading book, too easy, but I used them as a vocab activity and I will write a "critique" of them).
I have also started the book Валькирии and am about 80 pages in.

As for Finnish, I'm stuck and frustrated on chapter 3 of TY Finnish. I'm debating either skipping it and coming back, or doing something else for a while. I don't know what it is, but I seem to have some sort of mental block with it.
I haven't been completely neglecting Finnish though, as I've done some more new words on memrise.
Big news for me: I've got the numbers figured out! (except where they change, that will come with time though)

I also watched 2 films in Finnish, with English subtitles. I understood about 2% of it, mostly pronouns, names, a few verbs I know, numbers, and swears.

Some quick goals for February:
-watch 5 films in Finnish (with subtitles), these could also be podcasts, but films are more fun (for me)
-Read 1000 pages in Russian.
-Read about 500 pages in French.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 20 of 63
09 March 2013 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
February is long gone, and I never got around to writing a proper wrap-up or February. Oh well. Things got a bit hectic at the end of the month, so my focus was not on languages. That's not to say that I didn't accomplish anything, just not as much as I had hoped.

I watched 2 more films in Finnish. I read about 400 pages in Russian and another 400 in French (Voyage au centre de la Terre).
The main problem with Russian was that I chose a book that I didn't enjoy and it made it a chore to read it.

As for March, so far I've read about 50 pages in Russian (finished the fantasy novel for teens) and about 100 in French (currently reading Vingt mille lieues sous les mers)

I won't set any concrete goals for March, other than finishing the book in French, and starting (hopefully finishing) another one in Russian. March is going to be crazy again, as I'm trying to plan my wedding, but given how strict some countries are with giving visas, this is proving to be rather challenging.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 21 of 63
24 March 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
A short update. I bought a few more books in Russian. I didn't particularly like some of the books I had, so I decided to get some new ones, for more motivation. They were cheap, so I'm not too concerned.

I've read around 400 pages of my French book. Started a book in Russian, read about 25 pages, but couldn't get into it. Tried some short stories, but they were also boring.

I have watched half of a film in Finnish, and plan to watch 2 more this week.

I will buckle down with Finnish, because it appears that I will be spending some time in Helsinki in August, while I do a visa run. I have to spend a month in Canada to renew my passport and get the supporting documents for my Russian visa, then get the actual visa. It's cheaper and quicker in Finland.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 22 of 63
17 May 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't find my password, but I got my old computer to work long enough to write this update. I still need to remember my password though. :(

I'm currently reading a mystery novel in Russian. I've watched several films in Finnish.

Also done are 2 books in French. I enjoyed them, but I need to find a different format because my ebook does not display the accented letters.

I went to Finland last week-end for the World Hockey Championships. I had a mini-conversation with the border guard on the train (5 sentences or so, really tiny) so I was quite happy to have spoken Finnish to a Finn, and have him understand.
Also bought a bunch of books while there. Mostly used books, so those are on the list of things to work through.

Off to see a film this week-end, either Legenda 17, or Iron Man 3. In Russian of course, since there aren't any other options here.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 23 of 63
17 May 2013 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
If the password is saved in your internet browser you can look it up there. For Firefox, it's under Tools - Options - Security. For other browsers, it must be someplace similar. If you can't find it try googling it.

And good luck with your studies! I can totally relate to your problems with TYF, I had similar ones and eventually I abandoned the book. It's not bad, it just seems somehow difficult.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4121 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 24 of 63
08 December 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
It only took a few months, but I got my password back. Yay!

A short recap of 2013: not as productive as I would have hoped.

I read a few books in Russian. Watched several films in Russian. I also had many
conversations in Russian, but I have not made as much progress as I would have liked.

As for Finnish, I made some progress, albeit very limited.

So what's happening now?

My work has taken over my life. I work 7 days a week, about 50-60 hours a week. I'm now
one of the assistant directors at the school, so it's not all lost.

I spent 8 days in Finland in August while I got a new visa. I spoke a tiny bit of
Finnish there, mostly asking people if they spoke English and some basic things.

I'm studying a bit of Icelandic at the moment as I'll be going there in February for my
wedding. I don't think this will be a long-term project, more likely temporary to learn
a few things before I go there.

My goals for 2014: I'd like to take one of the TRKI exams for Russian, possibly C1. One
of my co-workers took the B2 exam recently, and I've been told by the staff (and the
co-worker) that my Russian is better than hers. I might just go for B2 though. We shall
see.

Continue with my Finnish studies. I've got Pimsleur Finnish now, so that should help in
speaking. I remember that Pimsleur Russian helped me at first, at least in getting my
brain to react quicker. I've also got some Finnish books, Suomen Mestari 1, and
Assimil. So I think 2014 is the year I'll be able to actually say things to people in
Finnish.

I'm trying to decide what other language to take up this year. I'm leaning towards
Spanish, but Italian and German are also possible. Czech piques my interest, because I
might be spending a month there next summer while doing a training course for my work.
We shall see. They all have their pros and cons. I regularly see the Italian and German
teachers at school, so I could get some practice there. Spanish is relatively close to
French, so that would be easier. Czech bears some similarity to Russian, so I imagine
that would also make things a bit easier.

I'll post a recap in Russian later. I got frustrated while writing one earlier and gave
up. I haven't written anything in Russian in many months.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version