41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 41
11 June 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Hi!
I collected some of my favourite links here, not all of them still work though. Try out Ymmärrä suomea, it's a good bridge between the coursebooks and native materials.
Also, check out the various podcasts made by YLE - at first you can try easy news (selkouutiset) and then something on a topic that interests you.

For me it's also been important to see the informal language in writing - the book "Kato hei" as well as forums provide that. When you've seen the forms in writing you're less surprised to encounter them in real life :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4131 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Finnish

Message 26 of 41
12 June 2013 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Boomerang! And welcome to the exciting world of Finnish study.

The Linguaphone that I was using also starts off with Salon perhe. It was extremely clear and had a lot of good vocabulary. I stopped using it because of time and personal interest.

Most Finnish movies have English subtitles, but many also have Finnish subtitles.

Along with Serpent's recommendation for the yle podcasts here is the link if you want to read the news in easy Finnish and listen to it at the same time:
http://www.yle.fi/selkouutiset/index.php?id=1334

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 12:12pm

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4490 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Urdu
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 27 of 41
12 June 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for the advice. I really appreciate it. Vanamo, please let us all know about your progress in Finnish. As for me, I just don't only want to acquire basic Finnish skills to satisfy the basic needs of life. I want to move all the way up to native proficiency. I understand very well that's its a very hard language. But I have 7 years to learn the language. Hopefully with a lot of hard work I may achieve my goal.

Additionally, I was following a thread where these 4 people partook in an accelerated Finnish challenge and went from 0 to A2 in just 1 month devoting 35 hours total study time. If their level after 1 month was A2, I think I may reach C1 or maybe even C2 in 7 years. Their story proved to be an inspiration for me.

@Serpent... I was following a thread in which you mentioned that you've been studying Finnish for 6 years and that you achieved basic fluency in 2 years. Now basic fluency is a B2 right? Or a B1? And may I ask what did you use to improve your speaking skills. Meaning how did you practice the speaking?

Once again, thank you for the advice.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 41
12 June 2013 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
I practised speaking in Finland and I did a lot of shadowing.
BTW by now it's been nearly 8 years :)

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4490 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 

Message 29 of 41
12 June 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
@ Serpent.... I wanted to ask you how you found Assimil's Finnish course. I have reached lesson 4. Will it be beneficial to me if I were to see it through to the very end? My strategy is to play the dialogues repeatedly till I understand everything. During this, I am learning vocab from Finnish school.

Also, have you tried the Linguaphone course? If yes, how would you rate it?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 30 of 41
12 June 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Nope, I've not done Linguaphone. And I used Assimil only for shadowing, at a point where I could write and think fluently but struggled to speak.
But Assimil is going to get MUCH more enjoyable very soon. The first few lessons are in a somewhat unnatural tempo so better don't dwell too much on them. (are you going to do it properly and start the "active" wave later? They should be very easy by the time you get to that)
The lessons also become more and more fun as they continue. Assimil is known for its hilariousness.
I know someone who learned Polish to a high level (and he does NOT speak another Slavic language), and he said Assimil was a good foundation and took him to B1 alongside other resources, so I highly recommend it.

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4131 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Finnish

Message 31 of 41
13 June 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
@Boomerang, you sound very motivated and 7 years should be more than enough time to reach your goals with the right amount of work. As you progress try to find things outside of coarse books that you enjoy in order to keep yourself motivated and exposure yourself to more natural usage.

As for my Finnish progress, I'm mostly just doing a lot of listening to podcasts, reading the news, and doing some light reading of children's books when I can.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 11:12am

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4490 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 

Message 32 of 41
13 June 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Ok thanks for the feedback. I will go through the entire Assimil course now. I have used other Assimil courses so I am aware of all the humor that they present in their lessons. My technique will not be doing the active phase after the 50th lesson. I will listen to the dialogues over and over again and shadow repeatedly. With this my listening will improve. I am doing the same thing with linguaphon. Plus i got a hold of Kato hei... for spoken Finnish. And I will listen to that audio repeatedly as well.

The thing with reading is that.... once your eyes get affixed to the words, a person kinda starts depending on the written word in order to remember it (whether it is for writing or speaking) But if you listen repeatedly, you ears get attuned to the words as they are spoken, and hence, a person starts depending on what he/she heard. This is how we all acquired our mother tongue. As small children we learnt writing at school but could speak fluently before learning how to write. But as babies... we have at most 2 years to hear the language before we start speaking. When we do, its mostly at a very low level.... but the difference is that we can understand what is being said to us irrespective if we can speak upto the same level or not. This is basically the method I am using to learn Finnish. Any feedback would be appreciated.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version