FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4430 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 9 of 33
20 January 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi fellow team 鶴 member!!

Nice to see someone this much goal-oriented. I tend to try following goals, but most of
the time end up giving up before the end and starting new goals. Which doesn't mean I
don't get some results, just not as much as I could get. So following someone not giving
up like you will be helpful!

Oh and thanks a lot for the link about comics, I looked at it for 5-10minutes and could
not take off my smile of my face the whole time! This is going to be very useful!

Anyway, good luck for this year!
1 person has voted this message useful

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4312 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 33
20 January 2013 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
So following someone not giving up like you will be helpful!

Oh and thanks a lot for the link about comics, I looked at it for 5-10minutes and could
not take off my smile of my face the whole time! This is going to be very useful!

Anyway, good luck for this year!

Thanks for the kind words... now I have pressure to not give up (which for me is really
good!). Yeah, the comics are cool. I am trying to hold off on reading them just yet, or I
know me... I'll spend more time trying to understand them then I will trying to learn the
language. Not that it is time wasted, just not my main two goals. Good luck to you, I
know you can stick to your goals!

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4846 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 11 of 33
22 January 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
你好同伴。
billyshears66 wrote:
6     Listen to Podcasts daily. I have a very hard time listening and picking out
things... I would like concentrate on this area.

You might want to try LingQ as it has transcripts as well, so you could read up on the not understood words. Maybe you could do some Assimil-like stuff with it, I don't know.
billyshears66 wrote:
9     Narrow down all my study material to 3-4 favorites by January 31st 2013.
[...]
2     Side tracked. Falling down the Youtube rat-hole. I can spend all my free time
watching other people learn languages. Time would be better spent on me learning.

Maybe you should stick to learning from a book for the most part. It would probably decrease the amount of distraction, since you can't use the Internet at that time.
It's better to use materials that are only "half-good" than having to search for other materials all day long. I mean your current materials seem like you can learn a lot from them if you go through them.

Edited by Takato on 22 January 2013 at 1:56am

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4312 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 12 of 33
22 January 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
You might want to try LingQ as it has transcripts as well, so you could read up on the not understood words. Maybe you could do some Assimil-like stuff with it, I don't know.

I tried LingQ briefly, but wished they had the Pinyin. Plus, the cost detoured me.

Takato wrote:

Maybe you should stick to learning from a book for the most part. It would probably decrease the amount of distraction, since you can't use the Internet at that time.
It's better to use materials that are only "half-good" than having to search for other materials all day long. I mean your current materials seem like you can learn a lot from them if you go
through them.

This might be a good idea for me. Thanks!

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 13 of 33
25 January 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Another option is to simply turn off/disconnect from the internet while you study if you aren't using online resources, or setting aside a certain amount of time (for example, "no matter what i'm doing at 4:00, i'll stop browsing the internet and dedicate my time completely to study/whatever it is you want to do").

Also, i found a link online about Audacity's Truncate Silence effect:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Truncate_Silence

All you've gotta do is load your mp3 and click the effect. Export the mp3 and you're good to go! If you want to do multiple files, you can then use Ctrl+R to repeat the last effect you used when you drag/drop in the next track.

For reading online, i definitely recommend using a pop-up dictionary like Perapera. It's super convenient.

Vegemighty
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4286 days ago

45 posts - 67 votes 

Message 14 of 33
26 January 2013 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Perapera changed my life. I'm on weibo, for example, roll over a word I don't know. If I think its useful, I press S and its saved for later, then I load them into the anki deck at the end of the day.

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4312 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 15 of 33
27 January 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Vegemighty wrote:
Perapera changed my life. I'm on weibo, for example, roll over a word
I don't know. If I think its useful, I press S and its saved for later, then I load them
into the anki deck at the end of the day.

Thanks for the tip! I'll will check that out. I have Perapera for Chrome, but haven't
really played with it. I like the "saved for later" aspect.

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4312 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 16 of 33
27 January 2013 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Saturday update: (posted on Sunday morning... got behind due to recording my intro for January's Challenge. I was also going to record my
weekly updates on Thursdays, but decided to stick with Saturdays as it is easier to get time to do this.

- Characters known: 199
- 0 hours talking with natives (going to be hardest thing for me)
- Up to date on Anki deck
- Up to date on memrise.com
- Found reading material. I'll be putting this goal aside for now, as I want to learn more characters before I try to read.
- Pimsleur: Haven't moved on here. Still on lesson 22. I tried this lesson one more time. I also went back and did lesson 21 again, just to
see if that would help.
- Podcasts: I've listened on my work commute (40 minutes each way).
- Assimil: Read through intro and started that lesson. Want to go through it a second time. I am also going to set a goal to do a lesson a day
with this. It might be the same lesson over and over, if need be. This will help me get away from the computer for studying, and help with
sidetrackedness (My made up word).      
- Total study time this week:8 (short of my goal of 10).

I also decided to start tracking my time and breaking them down by area. I want to see how I spend my time, and decide if I should change
that. One thing I noticed when I made my recording was that I speak way worse than I thought I did (when I hear it only in my own head). I
know I love learning characters, but I'm not sure if I use that as a crutch to avoid speaking more.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version