Weekly Update:

10min - PodCasts
3hr 15min - Memrise
1hr - Pimsleur
20min - Anki
15min - TV
10min - Music

Total: 5hr 10min

Short of my goal of 10 hours by 4hrs 50mins.

This is partly due to no smart phone, which I use mostly. I'm slowly finding work
arounds... but not liking it. Hopefully I will be able to order and install my new
screen soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5997 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 26 of 33
16 February 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
I like the idea of keeping track of time. I've never been able to do it because I tend to start studying unexpectedly without thinking about the time, but I do think it's a great idea to know how many hours you've worked with the language in a week.

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4313 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 33
22 February 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Weekly Update as of Feb 21st:

0 - PodCasts
1hr 25min - Memrise
2hr 30min - Pimsleur
1hr 23min - Anki
0 - TV
15min - Music

Total: 5hr 33min

Short of my goal of 10 hours by 4hrs 27mins. Slightly better than last week, but this
seems to be about average. Once again, phone screen still broke... :(

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4313 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 28 of 33
14 March 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
OK, I repaired my screen :)

But I've completely determined that tracking my time minute by minute is not for me. I
thought it was, and that goal setting in that regards would work. The reason it doesn't
work is that I found when I don't reach my goal, it gets me down. And after a couple of
weeks of not reaching my goal, I started to feel like "what's the point?" So I
basically got sidetracked with every little thing I could and was making excuses to
stay away from Chinese. I think it lost its "fun" appeal. And that is the whole reason
I'm learning it in the first place. So I decided to go away from the time tracking and
stick to doing what I enjoy. I'll have to re-look at my goals and decide how best to
approach them.

As for the February challenge, I was doing OK with it... but when my mood changed
towards avoidance, I stopped practicing my song. I was doing pretty good... was able to
play it on my guitar and sing along a little. But, I dropped the ball there.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4477 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 29 of 33
14 March 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
With regards to your comments on feeling down when not reaching your goal, there is a simple and very effective (many people can confirm that): set reachable goals. If you know you have 4 hours available every day, give yourself enough to be busy for 2 hours. Not more. If you're in the mood, you'll find yourself continuing. And if you have some last minute change, then reaching those 2 hours still won't be that difficult.

Also, try to do your study first thing in the morning: less chance that something comes in the middle of your plans.

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4313 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 30 of 33
26 March 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Thanks vermillon. Good advice on the reachable goals part. As far as the morning, I wish
that was a free time for me, but it isn't. My only real free time is at night... and I'm
usually too tired by then.

I don't know what it is lately, but the last couple of weeks have been a bust on Mandarin
studying for me. I don't know what it is. It all started when work came out with a new
policy which basically says I'll have to be there 30 more minutes each day, but no extra
pay. I love my free time with the family, and now it is cut shorter. So I've been upset
about that, and now I find it hard to get into the Chinese. I'm hoping to push myself
with this month's team challenge.

Sorry, just ranting. Feel better some.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6178 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 33
26 March 2013 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
I am in a pretty similar situation as you. I have a demanding job and two young children. I learned a long time ago not to be too strict with targets and goals and instead to just squeeze in what I can when I feel up to (usually a half hour in the car or a half hour at night). Whenever I tried to do too much I felt terrible. Sure, I am nowhere near conversational after several years but I also no longer feel stressed about my progress and I enjoy my studies more because I do it when I want to instead of when I have to. If I take a month off so be it. I go back when I am ready and I usually feel fresher for it. There are plenty of other things in life to worry about besides language learning.

Anyways, those are my two cents...

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4313 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 

Message 32 of 33
26 March 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks newyorkeric