23 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 23
18 January 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I try not to avoid poor quality audio if it's just poor quality, not unpleasant per se (like FSI and some other language materials are).

For distorting a "good" recording, you can just have http://simplynoise.com/ open :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 23
18 January 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
What's the point? Any radio station can deliver bad sound, the problem is to find something which is crisp and clear - at least while you aren't an advanced listener.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 23
19 January 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
I've listened to audio-books while taking a walk - not in "heavy traffic", but still with a lot of background noise. I've also sped up audio using the faster setting in Windows Media Player, not to challenge my listening comprehension but mostly to "save time" (some audio courses are annoyingly slow).
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 23
19 January 2013 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
After reading about Volte's experience with it, I've also used accelerated audio, especially for LR. It kinda changes your perception of foreign audio in some way and helps with all non-fluent languages, not only the one in which you're doing it.

Iversen wrote:
What's the point? Any radio station can deliver bad sound, the problem is to find something which is crisp and clear - at least while you aren't an advanced listener.
Well, there's a point where crisp and clear is too easy while the radio is too difficult for vocabulary reasons. It's probably a good idea to get used to less-than-ideal quality from the beginner level, when you can't understand the radio.

Edited by Serpent on 19 January 2013 at 4:25am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 23
19 January 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

Serpent wrote:
Well, there's a point where crisp and clear is too easy while the radio is too difficult for vocabulary reasons. It's probably a good idea to get used to less-than-ideal quality from the beginner level, when you can't understand the radio.

I can understand the argument, but personally I prefer learning the necessary vocabulary first and try it out on wellrecorded sound first. When I listen to music I also prefer good recordings, I hate double dubbing on TV with two competing languages, and if there is background music to a film then it should never drown out the presenters' voices. Going for bad sound while you still have problems with the words is like being the esquire of a medieval knight who dons his master's attire, gets one hand tied behind his back and then rush into battle.

But this is clearly a matter of personal taste.

Edited by Iversen on 19 January 2013 at 3:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4924 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 14 of 23
19 January 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
... I hate double dubbing on TV with two competing languages, and if
there is background music to a film then it should never drown out the presenters'
voices.

This was a huge problem for me when I was studying Polish, and probably the main reason
I never found anything I wanted to watch - TV or movies - in the language. It was just
too tempting to listen for English, because it was mixed in at such a high level.

R.
==

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 23
19 January 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Going for bad sound while you still have problems with the words is like being the esquire of a medieval knight who dons his master's attire, gets one hand tied behind his back and then rush into battle.
I think there's nothing wrong with perfecting your basic vocabulary to the point that you understand it on a bad recording. If you wait too long you'll get the problem where you can understand a written text perfectly but wouldn't understand the same thing in speech - I prefer to avoid that.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 23
19 January 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
If you wait too long you'll get the problem where you can understand a written text perfectly but wouldn't understand the same thing in speech - I prefer to avoid that.

That's also basically what happens if musicians never learn anything by ear, learn the written music but never play it by ear, learn it by ear slooooowly (and never speed up). The might "know" the music but in reality they aren't "prepared" for anything. No element of spontaneity (or surprise). I'm not saying that a musician should learn difficult pieces by heart, or that language learners should listen to (or blind-shadow) sped-up audiobooks in heavy traffic, but one can't go wrong by doing something at a slightly higher level.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version