Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 49 of 60
24 January 2014 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks Stelle! I must say, your log is pretty interesting too =) I listened to two of the Gold podcasts the other day
and they were just right. The speed forced me to concentrate and kept me interested all the way through. Those ted
talks will also be useful. I just wish you could filter by more than one thing (i.e. language). I found
this, which all look
great since they're on the "most viewed" list, but they're only subtitled in Spanish, while I really want to work on
listening. Maybe i'll watch them later when i'm less focused on that. And that's good to know about Isabel - I tried
an episode a few months ago and it was too hard, but I was thinking about trying again soon.

The semester is ending so i've been studying for finals recently. I have a Spanish test tomorrow on the subjunctive
tense (and a bit of vocab and other things) and my french provincial next tuesday. I'm not worried about either.

Time for the next song of the week! Actually, I'm way overdue. But I have a few in mind so I'll try to cram two more
in before February. Today I choose "Bailar Contigo" by
Carlos Vives, the same artist as my last song. The style is very different though. My favourite part is the chorus. I only
had to look up two words in the dictionary (illusionada and afinar)! I think I'll probably continue with this song of the
week thing throughout the rest of the year (hopefully more consistently though), because then i'll end up with 50
new Spanish songs committed to memory.

Not sure what else to say... I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'm trying to decide if I want to do the February 6WC. I
think my level might be above the cut off.. I'll have to check that again. It would be exactly what I need to jump start
the year! At the end of next week i'll post again with my new goals for the upcoming month. Hasta luego!
1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 50 of 60
02 February 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Today is the first day of the 6WC! I've been doing a lot of listening - Gold podcasts, filosofia aqui y ahora,
Desaparecida, music... And not much else besides a little homework. I figured I better get this update down though
so that I can concentrate more on hardcore studying for the next few weeks! I did another song of the week a few
days ago, Sueño by Diego Torres. I really like the guitar
in this one, and the lyrics are pretty catchy too. A few new words again, but nothing spectacular (side note: learned
a word in FAYA this morning and then heard it two hours later in the first episode of Desaparecida - hooray for
synergy!).

Ok, new goals for February:

Spanish:
- log 80 hours for the 6WC
- watch half (7 episodes) of Desaparecida
- 8 more songs of the week (songs of the half-week?)
- find something to read! like a real live book
- write 8 pieces on lang-8

French:
- keep up with school work again
- watch 8 episodes of Les Parent
- read another book
- finally memorize all the words to the songs on that one CD i've had for a year

Latin:
- ten minutes a day, 5 days a week. just easing in!

Finnish:
- only resorted to if i get bored of the others and need more time for the 6WC

I did pretty well on my goals for last month, although i was one song short for Spanish. Also the book i read in
spanish was pretty short.. oh well! And the french provincial was harder than i thought, but hopefully i'll get my
results sometime this month.

I think that's all I wanted to say today. I might check in later this week, but i'll probably be studying too much. Good
luck to everyone else competing! See you in the top ten =P

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 51 of 60
02 June 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I had no idea it had been so long since my last post. I knew i was neglecting it, but i didn't think it was that bad!

I've decided that if i find my posts boring and tedious to write, other people must find them boring to read =P so,
i'm going to worry less on summarizing every little thing i do and more on the fun and interesting stuff. Which
means shorter updates, more often.

However, i will do a quick recap of what i've been up to the last few months. I actually accomplished most of my
february goals, although i didn't touch Latin or Finnish, and I didn't log as much time as i had wanted for the 6WC.
Instead of reading a Spanish book, I got really into Spanish travel blogs!! which reminded me of the importance of
enjoying your learning material. I also did watch the first half of desaparecida, but only just finished the series
recently as part of the Super Challenge. I still can't decide how i feel about the ending!

For this year's SC i've taken on a full french and a full Spanish. so far i've only read in french and watched in Spanish
(well, i started watching amelie but have yet to log it) because i'm trying to get through all the good french books at
my school library before i graduate. i'm really enjoying the challenge so far. it's pretty much the only thing i do with
my languages besides Spanish class at school.

I've got one or two more things to note but i have to go now. i guess that'll motivate me to come back and post
another short one soon!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 52 of 60
09 July 2014 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Hmm, definitely forgot what i was planning to write about last time. I did finish amelie though and enjoyed it! I also
had a few chances to use my Spanish, once eating dinner at a friends house since their other guests were from el
salvador and then again at a party, but that time it was just eavesdropping on lots of conversations. all in all pretty
simple stuff but very encouraging to know that i can understand "real" Spanish! i think my listening comprehension
has really come a long way.

I didn't get around to all the french books at my school library in time but I think i'm doing well anyways. now I'm
working on the four (Four!!!) Spanish chapter books they have at my local library, even though some are for kids or
not particularly my thing. fortunately i'll read anything.

i was away on vacation for the last 10 days and had plenty of time to read. considering how fast those numbers are
adding up i'm not too concerned about finishing the reading portion, so i allow myself lots of English reading too. in
fact, out of the 7 or 8 books i read this week, only 1 was Spanish and 1 french. oops! this week while i'm home
though i need to get on some watching. i think i'll start les parent from season one, and maybe try out fragiles en
espanol.

also, i just remembered that i've completely abandoned the people that i was casually chatting with on Skype. I'll
have to check in again and beg for forgiveness for my month or two long absence.

hasta luego!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 53 of 60
25 July 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I read all the Spanish books at my library! and my reading stats for Spanish sure shot up quickly. That motivated me
to get back on watching. I had already started Fragiles (only two episodes left now i think?) and also started Les
Parent from season one. The first two are on netflix, and i've watched 6 episodes now. I've kind of gotten into a
routine of watching one hour of languages each afternoon, either an episode of Fragiles or three of Parent.

I've got a few Spanish books on my kindle now that i'll be taking on vacation next week, which should get me to my
first star. I think my goal is to have all sections at that first star by the end of the summer... it'll really be tough for
watching though. They don't add up very fast! I might have to throw in a few marathon days to even get close.

I'm registered for a Spanish course in september. Even though i'm only in first year my placement test allows me to
start with a third year course, so i'm pretty proud of that =) hopefully it will be just enough of a challenge to keep
me motivated, but still be easy enough that it doesn't take away from my effort for the classes essential to my
program. I guess we'll see how it turns out!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 54 of 60
06 September 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
My Spanish class is AMAZING. The prof speaks Spanish 98% of the time and the first day caught me by surprise but
by day two I was back in the swing of things and i could understand it all =) So it'll be great to work more on my
listening, and continue being motivated, and practice with the other people in the class. Plus there are lots of fun
things like a latin american film festival coming up. And so far the grammar is all review for me, just a few new
words, so it doesn't compete with my other classes which are a bit overwhelming. A win-win in every way =)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3940 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 55 of 60
06 September 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Nice to hear from you Emily! I'm glad you're enjoying your class, and that it's both challenging and motivating. You
started university/college this year, right? I hope that the transition is as smooth as it can be! :)

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 56 of 60
06 October 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
It is my first year, Stelle, and so far so good! Thanks for the well wishes =)

Spanish is still going well, and I got 94% on my first quiz! I only made it to one of the nights of the film festival but I
saw a pretty good movie called 7 cajas that was made in paraguay... I think. It was a "thriller" but most of the "scary"
parts were played off as comedic or melodramatic. Overall, definitely not hollywood. After a lot of back and forth I
decided that I really liked it! I also have a few titles in mind of the nights I couldn't go that I'm hoping to find on the
internet now.

I recently started watching season 4 of the quebecois tv show 30 vies. I had previously stopped watching because
they took season 3 offline before I finished it, but I figured it had been long enough that I didn't remember the
details of the story line so i could just start at the beginning of 4. I was getting really into it until the unthinkable
happened: last night I went on to watch an episode and THEY HAD TAKEN OFF SEASON 4!!! I couldn't believe it.
Moral of the story: keep up. I'll have to start season 5 now since that's the current one, and I guess i'll never know
what happened to my favourite characters...

Reading has kind of fallen off my radar. After pages and pages of textbook material for school, I'm not as inclined to
reach for a novel. I think that's ok though considering how much reading I did in the summer. I'll save TV for school
time and books for breaks, and hopefully it'll all work out so that I can meet my super challenge goals.

On the topic of goals, I think I'll make a few for October. I kind of gave up after march... To keep things simple, let's
say 4 episodes of Isabel (my current Spanish interest) and the first 20 episodes of season 5 of 30 vies. They're only
20min and highly addicting. I have never loved a TV show so much. In fact I think I'll get started on that right now
before bed!

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version