Diglot
Canada
Joined 4223 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 57 of 60
16 November 2014 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
I'm finding it incredibly difficult to make time for languages! especially when it comes to racking up numbers
for the super challenge. If I'm lucky I have time for tv three nights a week, so I have been watching 30 vies
quite a bit, but I'll often only get through two episodes each night which is just over one "movie" a week.
Definitely not going to cut it! Last night I had a marathon and watched 6 episodes and it was kind of
overwhelming, so I won't be doing that again unless I'm home sick all day or something. And I haven't
watched an episode of Isabel in ages.

As for reading, I have a ton of french classics (and by that I mean Moliere and Ionesco and Hugo) but when I
tried to pick one up the other day it was exceptionally dry. I forced myself through 35 pages and then decided
I was wasting my time. I do want my reading to also be a way to learn about the culture, not just practice the
language/entertain myself, which is why I was interested in classics in the first place. Maybe I'll switch to
modern classics now! I just looked up a few Spanish ones at my new local library and it actually looks quite
promising, so maybe i'll be able to pick one or two up in the next few days. And I've discovered that I can
read on the bus without getting carsick - it feels great to win back one hour of my day!

I can't wait for winter break.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4223 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 58 of 60
20 December 2014 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Winter break is here <3333

Although I have one last exam tomorrow. But i've been relaxing a lot. I finally caught up on 30vies, just in time
for the season to end until january! I watched the last episode this afternoon and almost had a break down. I
didn't realize how attached I was to certain characters until they said they were leaving. That puts me at 19
french movies for the super challenge. I would love to make that 25 (first star!) by the end of the year but i'm
not sure what I'll watch, or how much time I'll have once I'm home visiting for christmas. My Spanish movies
are seriously falling behind but now that I'm caught up with 30 vies I can watch those four episodes each
week plus hopefully at least one movie in Spanish.

As for those books, I read the first (french) one! It was a good length to get me back in the groove, and quite
engaging (Beatrice et Virgile by Yann Martel, author of Life of Pi, if anyone cares). I've just started a FAT 816
page book in Spanish and i think i may have bit off more than i can chew. I read quite quickly in English but
only about half the speed in Spanish, so my 50 page dent took me over an hour. If I can power through though
I'm sure I'll see a lot of improvement. I'm sure the last 100 pages will go much faster than the first 100. Then I
have one more french book to round it off.

So - tentative goals for the end of the year: finish the mammoth Spanish book, watch another 6 movies in
french. Sounds doable... although I have less than two weeks! Where has the year gone.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4223 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 59 of 60
21 February 2015 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
School is insane and busy, but I'm still making sure to spend my free time in my languages. I'm watching 30
vies episodes as they come out and working my way through the Spanish series "Velvet" on Netflix whenever I
have a free evening. I've noticed a lot of improvement in my Spanish listening comprehension, thanks to
watching TV and my immersive Spanish prof, which is very encouraging. However, it's now pointing me to
tackle the next area for improvement: output. In particular speaking. I'll be spending a month in Peru in May
and I seriously need to get comfortable speaking in Spanish, or else I'll waste the first two weeks like I did
during my exchange in Quebec. Fortunately, I've just discovered that there is an output challenge being
started here on HTLAL, complementary to the super challenge! It sounds perfect for me. I don't check the
forum much nowadays (as you can tell by my scarce log posts) but whenever I do it gets me all fired up again
=) Now I'm so ready to finish my last Spanish library book (currently La ciudad de las bestias) and then start
outputting!

On that note - the super challenge is going well. The end of this month marks the half way point and I'm a little
under half way to my goals (100 books in each and 50 movies in each), but I think that's ok because I have the
summer to catch up. School is way more intense than I imagined, so summer is definitely going to be major
language time!

It's a shame that my dabbling in Latin and Finnish has petered out, but I will pick it up again one day I'm sure!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4223 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 60 of 60
12 April 2015 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Leaving for Peru in two weeks! I still have a couple final exams to go and I have yet to do anything for the
output challenge... but I'm going to try to do lots next week as a confidence booster for my trip =) There's just
so much to finish up for school, plus planning for my trip, and then whenever I have down time I spend it with
my family rather than on Spanish, especially now that i've finished Velvet. I can't wait until the second season
comes to Netflix!

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version