Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 18
21 January 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
One thing you soon discover when you visit Brazil is that once you are away from the tourist zone in Rio, there is very little English spoken. Most of the people arriving from overseas in the next two years for the World Cup and the Olympics won't be speakers of Portuguese. This came in on my twitter feed today from @riogringa who writes a blog called "Adventures of a Gringa".

Adventures of a Gringa wrote:
You've probably read about how different cities in Brazil are preparing for the World Cup by offering English courses to certain groups, from taxi drivers in Rio to prostitutes in Belo Horizonte. With a year and a half left before the mega-event, some are scrambling to teach foreign languages--especially English--in preparation for the expected flood of foreigners in the next few years. There's also growing consciousness about the fact that the lack of English speakers in Brazil means the country is losing money, not only in tourism but business, too.

Unfortunately, a lot of the focus on expanding the pool of foreign-language speakers has to do with Brazil's upcoming mega-events. A very amusing report from Correio Braziliense, for example, found few English and Spanish speakers in Brasilia, where a McDonald's employee pointed a Spaniard to a bathroom after he asked for a vaso (cup, in Spanish)

Adventures of a Gringa- Brazil's English Language Challenge Lots of links embedded in the story to follow.

Edited by iguanamon on 21 January 2013 at 4:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4478 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 2 of 18
21 January 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I don't know why Brazilians don't care about the English language.

If we compare Brazil and Argentina the situation is drastic:

http://www.ef.com/epi/south-america/

''Weak public education hampers English proficiency

However, the poor quality of public schools across Latin America combined with unequal access to education provides a more convincing explanation for the region’s weakness in English. When Brazil administered tests to 2.3 million Grade 4 students (10 years old) in 2007, it found that 52% of students nationwide had low or very low levels of reading ability in Portuguese, the country’s main language. An enormous variation between regions was also found: 32% of children in the capital region, Brasilia, had low reading skills versus 74% in the lowest-scoring region. Across all regions, low levels of parental education and student ethnicity had strong impacts on reading skills. These results are in line with the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s PISA study in 2009, which found that across Latin America 48% of 15-year-olds cannot perform rudimentary tasks in reading and comprehension necessary to participate in society, while among low-income students that figure rose to 62%. Clearly, if literacy skills are lacking, English will fall by the wayside.

Understanding higher proficiency

Argentina is the only country in Latin America with moderate English proficiency. Literacy rates in the country are higher than average for the region (97% compared to 89.9%) and average years of schooling (15.1 years) are also well above the regional average (13.1 years). Argentina has had high rates of primary and secondary school enrollment since the 1970’s, when most of its neighbors still educated less than half of children through 6th grade (12 years old). However, Argentina’s economic instability has hampered its development and prevented investment in education from rising over time. In addition, unusually high repeat levels in both primary and secondary school as well as high levels of dropouts in secondary school prevent Argentina from attaining the levels of English found in comparably wealthy countries in Eastern Europe.''

If you can read Portuguese...deu no jornal:
http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/geral,brasileiros-falam-i ngles-de-qualidade-muito-baixa-diz-pesquisa,950188,0.htm

Edited by Medulin on 21 January 2013 at 5:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4525 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 3 of 18
21 January 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
It's true, I grew up studying in a private school (the best ones in the country) and even nowadays, most of my friends from that time don't speak English.
I only do because my mom enrolled me in an English school by the age of 13, and I could develop my abilities far better than my friends. I also always loved languages, so that must be a plus.

We do have English at school for 11 or 12 years usually, but as I said in other topics, it sucks. They mostly keep teaching us the verb "to be", verbs in the past and some basic vocabulary. I can't even imagine how is it in public school, that are much worse than the private ones.

On the other hand, I go to a public university (the best ones in the country), and most of my friends here speak decent to fluent English.

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5039 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 18
21 January 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
I can't even imagine how is it in public school, that are much worse than the private ones.

On the other hand, I go to a public university (the best ones in the country), and most of my friends here speak decent to fluent English.

Well, in public schools we "learn" English for 6~7 years. It's basically the verb "to be" on the first 4 years and a little more for the rest. I studied in a good (well, a lot better than most) public school and most of my friends can't speak English, even though we got to the phrasal verbs.

Public universities are waaaay different. Most of the people I know speak at least decent English, and some are very proficient. It's a very small percentage of the population, though.

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4555 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 5 of 18
21 January 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
In matters of interest about the language, I can share the experience I had in my school (a good private one): In my last year, the class held about 65 students and judging by their behavior in classes I can say less than 10, if much, were actually interested in learning any English. There are several reasons for this, but as a whole, I don't see much encouragement regarding the importance of learning languages going on, nor the avaibility of resources to students willing to do so.

Acut
Tetraglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4510 days ago

53 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 18
22 January 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
What I usually see is a lot of Brazilian students stuck at the Beginner/Intermediary level. If they study English, usually it is with a heavy influence of Grammar/Translation (particularly in schools), which is tragic - no fluency is achieved, vocabulary is minimal, pronunciation suffers a lot from L1 interference. I was lucky to take English classes besides my regular classes and what I see is that people usually stick to "well, this is good enough. Being merely understood is the goal".

I once read in a forum of Brazilian who study English as a second language that Brazilian students, however friendly they are, typically show a much higher resistance to accept the new language's "logic" and a much lower desire to learn (despite the ubiquitous importance of English) compared to their peers. It seemed to be an opinion widely held by those who taught English in more than one country on that forum. I remember that thread went bad quite quickly, with Brazilians defending themselves from that criticism. I never had an ESL class with students from other countries, so I exempt myself from comparisons, but in my English and Spanish classes I did see a lot of apathy toward perfection.

So, it seems to be a combination of a) poor educational system *for a foreign language* (specifically based on grammar translation, or audio-linguistic methods which don't focus on the student's needs) b) Overall apathy toward learning another language or perfectioning it. However, I believe some of those problems happen, mutatis mutandis, with other countries/languages. I remember, when I was an exchange student in the U.S., how my friends described their Spanish classes in school. Maybe, after all, it's not a Brazilian problem, but a generalized one, of which English learning in Brazil is simply a facet.

You may see some of the results
here (again, anecdotal, limited evidence, but I don't know any studies on this topic).

It seems to me, though, that the newer, middle class generations are far better. I am a sophomore in a good college - a public one, like Fabriciocarraro - and most of my friends know English fairly well (at least, on it's written form. Pronunciation is a trouble). Many are even working on their second foreign language.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4478 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 7 of 18
22 January 2013 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
Maybe the educational system should ''embrace'' some material pupils might love, like pop music, or sitcoms (with the original sound)...

If students have virtually no contact with English, they will not be particularly interested in learning it (like in my case: I learned German for 8 years, since it was obligatory, but I had no contact with German speaking people/countries/culture, so it was a difficult subject for me in elementary school and high school. I had good grades, but I didn't become fluent...because the focus was on grammar, translations, and not on speaking or understanding the language).

Edited by Medulin on 22 January 2013 at 4:38am

Sarah Reed
Diglot
United States
Joined 4154 days ago

5 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: French, EnglishB1

Message 8 of 18
22 January 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Brazil is a huge country that does not have a lot of contact with foreigners.
As someone said, there are foreign tourists in Rio and in main touristic spots, but this is not the main reality in the country. I think the lack of interest comes from the fact that most Brazilians never really had contact with foreigners, so they don't feel they will really use English in their daily life (which is true). In Europe and United States, people are more used to interact with foreigners, so it is natural they will be more interested to learn new languages.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version