Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 41 of 115
29 January 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
To be honest counting the amount of words to find out "how little do I need to learn to
get by" sounds extremely minimalist to me. Language learning for the lazy. I don't count
my words really and I don't care. If I want to learn French I'll just use more French.
And for the people that think I don't speak language x because I cannot read Proust;
that's fine, I bet half of France has not read Proust either. I don't give a flying
dingo's kidney what people consider fluent or how many words I need to know. I can talk
to people in French and they understand me, and that's all *I* need to know.

I'll drink to this. I basically agree that counting words is a waste of time. You learn what you need. The only reason we are discussing this is because there is a challenge out there to explain complex subjects with the 1000 most common words in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4743 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 42 of 115
29 January 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

That question out of the way, I'm glad that this poster picked up the the point of grammar about pronominal verbs in French. It resembles Spanish somewhat but is very different in certain respects. What happens is that most learners of French don't get beyond the very basics of the system and feel that to speak better French they must learn more words. In fact, if they understood the pronominal verb system better, they could get more bang out of the same verbs.

I try to pick up on recurring patterns in the languages I am learning in order to get a better return on investment.

In French, as you said, verb pronominals are a big part, and if you get those down, it facilitates your hearing understanding immensely and opens up other areas. I would also say learning some key adverbial and noun phrases (French like those a lot than other languages instead of pure adverbs or specific words i.e "d'un air..., coup de..."), helps a lot. In German, it's the idiomatic uses of the major separable verbs and getting familiar with how some of the inseparable prefixes like "er", "be", and "ver" can nuance the verb (it confuses so many of us at first, sometimes still does, "raten vs erraten"... !!). In Portuguese, understanding the preterite/imperfect usage. And getting comfotable with the personal infinitive and when to use it is a HUGE boost to understanding. There are three specific situations where it is almost always used, and knowing it not only makes communicating easier, unlike Spanish where you have no choice, it allows you to avoid the subjunctive all together.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 43 of 115
29 January 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

I try to pick up on recurring patterns in the languages I am learning in order to get a better return on investment.

In French, as you said, verb pronominals are a big part, and if you get those down, it facilitates your hearing understanding immensely and opens up other areas. I would also say learning some key adverbial and noun phrases (French like those a lot than other languages instead of pure adverbs or specific words i.e "d'un air..., coup de..."), helps a lot. In German, it's the idiomatic uses of the major separable verbs and getting familiar with how some of the inseparable prefixes like "er", "be", and "ver" can nuance the verb (it confuses so many of us at first, sometimes still does, "raten vs erraten"... !!). In Portuguese, understanding the preterite/imperfect usage. And getting comfotable with the personal infinitive and when to use it is a HUGE boost to understanding. There are three specific situations where it is almost always used, and knowing it not only makes communicating easier, unlike Spanish where you have no choice, it allows you to avoid the subjunctive all together.

I agree totally. Now let's take this to a higher level and imagine that instead of learning more words we are learning grammatical or lexical constructs that allow us to communicate meaning.

Obvious things would be prefixes, suffixes and maybe infixes where applicable. But also verbal forms as this poster has pointed out. I think for example that the heart of French and Spanish is the verb systems with their many complexities that are tricky to master.

I suspect that since verb morphology is much less rich in English, there will be a greater need for more words. And this is the reason for such emphasis on learning more words in the English-speaking world. It's just an idea. It may not hold water.

But the key idea here is that at some point we have to think horizontally, i.e. in terms of morpho-syntax and not so much in terms of accumulating more words.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 44 of 115
29 January 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
tarvos wrote:
To be honest counting the amount of words to find out
"how little do I need to learn to
get by" sounds extremely minimalist to me. Language learning for the lazy. I don't
count
my words really and I don't care. If I want to learn French I'll just use more French.
And for the people that think I don't speak language x because I cannot read Proust;
that's fine, I bet half of France has not read Proust either. I don't give a flying
dingo's kidney what people consider fluent or how many words I need to know. I can talk
to people in French and they understand me, and that's all *I* need to know.

I'll drink to this. I basically agree that counting words is a waste of time. You
learn what you need. The only reason we are discussing this is because there is a
challenge out there to explain complex subjects with the 1000 most common words
in English.

I'd rather do it in German or Dutch, then I can just build like I want to ;)

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5463 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 45 of 115
29 January 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I keep hearing people talk about how many words you need for each level of language ability, but to be honest don't pay much attention to the numbers.

Yesterday, though, I bought a new book of German vocabulary. It contains a whopping 15,000 words which it states is the vocabulary needed for B1.

I have seen many books overselling the level they can take you to, but surely this book is underselling itself.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 46 of 115
29 January 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I keep hearing people talk about how many words you need for each level of language ability, but to be honest don't pay much attention to the numbers.

Yesterday, though, I bought a new book of German vocabulary. It contains a whopping 15,000 words which it states is the vocabulary needed for B1.

I have seen many books overselling the level they can take you to, but surely this book is underselling itself.

Just to be sure I understand what underselling means, @splog, what do you mean?

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5139 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 47 of 115
29 January 2013 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

With 15,000 words you'd be way beyond B1. If the book did teach that many words, it would be understating what level you'd be able to reach with it.

Regarding the subject of the thread, vocabulary and syntax are the heart of a language. Pretending you can do by ignoring or downplaying either is the surest way of never reaching any proficiency in it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 48 of 115
29 January 2013 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
s_allard wrote:

With 15,000 words you'd be way beyond B1. If the book did teach that many words, it would be understating what level you'd be able to reach with it.

Regarding the subject of the thread, vocabulary and syntax are the heart of a language. Pretending you can do by ignoring or downplaying either is the surest way of never reaching any proficiency in it.

Thanks @juan for the clarification. I'm a bit surprised that a book should state that you need 15,000 words for B1. What do you need for C1, let alone C2?

And let me reiterate that the original subject of the thread is a challenge to explain complex subjects with the 1000 most common words in English.

But to come back to this question of how many words are needed for the CEFR levels, I should point out that there is no official fixed levels, just as there are no fixed grammar criteria, i.e. must know the future subjunctive for Spanish C2. Similarly there are no criteria for pronunciation.

The whole idea of the CEFR model is based on the can do principle and not how much you know. You could certainly speak at the C2 level with 2000 active words in French, Spanish or English. Of course, you need more passive words and maybe many more to pass a test where you may be confronted with a wide range of material. So, in a sense you could say that a passive vocabulary of 15,000 words would equip you to deal with any possible text for a certain exam.

I don't want to get into an argument over how many words one really needs for test purposes. I would certainly learn as many as I can. But the interesting thing about the challenge in the OP is the idea of communicating complicated subjects with simple words. In that sense, could one speak at a C1 level with a relatively limited vocabulary because one is able to use the given words so well? This is what is intriguing.

By the same token, can we assume that the person who has learned 15,000 words of German can speak at the B1 level?

Edited by s_allard on 29 January 2013 at 10:23pm

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version