Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6321 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 10 of 22
14 December 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
The DLI produced an 10-volume audiolingual course in Persian: Persian basic course, published in 1966, that takes the student up to a level 3 proficiency (same as their French and Spanish courses):

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordD etails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue _0=ED185847&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED185847

I am drooling over the thought of this course. I don't know where to find it. The book for another course produced by the DLI, which seems much shorter (12 units, 397 pages), published in 1963, seems easier to get hold of. Don't know if it's any use without the audio though.

It seems older materials are slowly being digitalised for public access. Don't know if and when this course will be done:

Microfiche to Megabytes
Help ERIC expand online access to nearly 340,000 documents indexed 1966–1992, now available only on microfiche.

Please, if anyone knows how I could get access to this course, I would be very happy indeed. I don't live in the States, so public libraries are out. Has anyone tried 'Contemporary Spoken Persian' from audioforum?

Edited by DavidW on 14 December 2007 at 12:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6939 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 11 of 22
16 December 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
The Persian course sold by Spoken Language Services was in fact originally produced at FSI. Whether or not this was the entire FSI Spoken Persian course I don't know, but the only original FSI copy I've seen had the exact same number of lessons as the book sold by SLS. FSI also produced at least one Persian reader, which was quite useful in that it contained parallel texts in handwriting, typewritten Persian, and transliteration, along with the vocabulary in each style, so as to facilitate reading handwriting.

Note: the SLS Spoken Persian course is definitely not the same as the one now being sold by AudioForum.

Edited by daristani on 16 December 2007 at 11:34am

3 persons have voted this message useful

platynota
United States
Joined 5263 days ago

14 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian, French, Arabic (Levantine), Portuguese

Message 12 of 22
12 December 2009 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
DavidW wrote:

Please, if anyone knows how I could get access to this course, I would be very happy indeed. I don't live in the States, so public libraries are out. Has anyone tried 'Contemporary Spoken Persian' from audioforum?

"Contemporary Spoken Persian" from audioforum is a pretty useful item, and probably is more "contemporary" than FSI/Spoken Persian: http://pro.spidergraphics.com/spo/spo_start.taf?_function=li st&catID=33&_UserReference=4B0F2CF3FAF4C1D64B230273

But comparing the two, audioforum's Contemp Persian being 225 + 225 for Vols 1 and 2 probably still has less content than FSI's/SLS' Spoken Persian for 120 for the book and cassettes. I only have the FSI text, but if those cassettes cover most of the text and drills, the package is a reallllll bargain in comparison. I like "Contemp Persian" vol 1, and I've definitely benefited from it, but it's too short with much too little content for the money (not worth it), some of the text and audio are mismatched (or missing) when following along, especially during revision exams, and the recordings are flooded with errors (from shoddy quality, but not unintelligible and myriad of other poor editing details).

Vol 2 of Contemp Persian is just a cheap piece of paper (more of a brochure than anything) with a plastic ring binding; that plus the cds for 225 dollars is ridiculous. I've not studied with Vol 2 yet, so I don't know how effective it is, but from the basis of Vol 1, I'm sure the content and audio is not in league with the price.

If the FSI/SLS spoken Persian is anything like its ol' FSI Hebrew course, then it's well worth the 120.
4 persons have voted this message useful

platynota
United States
Joined 5263 days ago

14 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian, French, Arabic (Levantine), Portuguese

Message 13 of 22
12 December 2009 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
In case you've not seen this, you should download the DLI Persian course. Vol 2-8 audio is available below, plus army advanced phrases (which is downloadable from the first link). You can get the documents for them below, too.

Farsi Vol 2 - Vol 8 - and Army Phrases (audio only):
http://www.4shared.com/file/129168455/9f9f5001/farsivol1.htm l
http://www.4shared.com/file/129177357/11dd1e4e/farsivol2-4.h tml
http://www.4shared.com/file/129183914/ec1d0fa0/farsivol5-6.h tml
http://www.4shared.com/file/129191847/9ec82153/farsivol7-8.h tml

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ <--- search for "Basic Persian Course" to find the vols 1-8.

And the link to other DLI courses:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=16633&PN=0&TPN=1
4 persons have voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5606 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 14 of 22
12 December 2009 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
braveb wrote:

I find the languages offered by FSI sort of strange. Why offer uncommon languages such as Amharic, Twi, Youruba, Igbo, and ignore Persian?

Very bizarre.

I of course can't say for sure, but I would guess this is partially because the US hasn't had diplomatic relations with Iran for over 25 years. As FSI almost exclusively trains diplomats, the lack of relations with the only major country where Persian is spoken probably seriously depleted the resources available for maintenance of a good curriculum. Persian is spoken in several other countries, but until recently, neither were very important to the US. The languages you listed are all linguas franca in African countries that are of strategic importance to the US.

For what it's worth, DLI probably has excellent Persian resources for exactly the same reason FSI does not.
5 persons have voted this message useful

geirtbr
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6452 days ago

83 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 22
17 June 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Platynota: What is the differences betweeen FSI spoken persian and the defence language institute material
(provided you have looked at them both)?
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6024 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 22
17 June 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
geirtbr wrote:
Platynota: What is the differences betweeen FSI spoken persian and the defence language
institute material
(provided you have looked at them both)?

The " FSI / SLS " Persian is more of your traditional FSI style course. A dialog with the words slowly repeated, a
few drills at the end of each chapter etc. There are only 12 Chapters in the FSI course and , I believe, only 5
hours or so of audio.

The DLI course is much more comprehensive and clearly oriented towards the military. There was
no audio produced for the first 8 units, so if you are starting from scratch you are best to have some material
under your belt before you tackle DLI. The introduction promises to get you to a spoken " level 3 " ability when
used as part of an intensive classroom course. I think one could get pretty close to this, even with self study.

The bad news about DLI is that the Farsi is written in microscopic Persian script. I had a really hard time reading
it for whatever reason.

I agree that Contemporary Spoken Persian is not worth the money. It is essentially "Teach Yourself Persian" with
a little more audio and no cute cartoons!

IU has some great links here as well

http://www.indiana.edu/~celtie/persian.html

Edited by liddytime on 17 June 2010 at 12:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version