United States
Joined 5263 days ago

14 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian, French, Arabic (Levantine), Portuguese

Message 17 of 22
18 June 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
geirtbr wrote:
Platynota: What is the differences betweeen FSI spoken persian and the defence language institute material
(provided you have looked at them both)?

Refer to what liddytime wrote. To add, the Fsi/Sls Oboloensky Persain course has a nice description on the pitches one makes when speaking, whether it's asking a question or making a comment. There are clear differences between how English speakers stress words and syllables vs. Tehrani, Iranians do, and Fsi/Sls can help you out with that starting from the first lesson with diagrams and numbers indicating the rise and fall of the stress. Besides, there are the basic sentences, variation drills, grammar notes, notes on consonants and vowels, etc.

If you're not an novice of Farsi at the higher level, I'd suggest going through maybe 24 lessons or so of easypersian dot com, and pay attention to how the author writes the words in the "hand-written" form because that'll help you out later on. By that time, you'll be ready for DLI. With it, you'll get basic sentences, variations, grammar notes, vocab lists, and a very special section of hand-written (shekaste) Farsi!!! It's written in a pretty nice handwriting, so it'll be a good start to shekaste.

About Contemporary Spoken Persian, it is 100 percent colloquial Farsi, so you're not going to learn the literary version of Farsi that you would with "Teach Yourself" series. That's why I chose to study with it because I so vitally need that. DLI will teach you colloquial and some literary and Fsi/Sls focuses more so on colloquial, but there's the literary counterpart written as well.

4 persons have voted this message useful

geirtbr
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6452 days ago

83 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 22
19 June 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your reply.

The DLI course seems to go to a much more advanced stage than the other audio courses. This is good, because
finding material (especially audio-material) for advanced levels are often very hard. However, based on previous
encounters with DLI russian, I have a scepticism in relation to DLI courses teaching an overly military vocabulary
and forms of speaking, is this so with the DLI course? - And how much time do you usually use on a lesson - are
the tapes built up in such a way that you can listen to them on their own and repeat things, or are they mostly
meaningful in conjunction with the books?

1 person has voted this message useful

platynota
United States
Joined 5263 days ago

14 posts - 30 votes
Studies: Spanish, Persian, French, Arabic (Levantine), Portuguese

Message 19 of 22
20 June 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I recommend simply downloading them to try out for yourself. Go to post 13, and you'll see the links provided that'll take you to the audio course download links and to the documents per course on eric.ed.gov since they weren't included with the audio .rar package.

Although the first lesson of vol 2 involves being at a military school, you'll learn vocabulary that is universal, in universal situations. You can spend upwards of several hours per lesson if you wish--from listening to the audio to drilling yourself to writing out exercises to practicing Farsi handwriting.

The audio is mp3, so with an audio player on your computer, you can start and stop however you like.

The Fsi/Sls Persian is available for download at www.uz-translations.net
3 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6024 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 20 of 22
07 March 2011 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
geirtbr wrote:

The DLI course seems to go to a much more advanced stage than the other audio courses. This is good, because
finding material (especially audio-material) for advanced levels are often very hard. However, based on previous
encounters with DLI russian, I have a scepticism in relation to DLI courses teaching an overly military vocabulary
and forms of speaking, is this so with the DLI course? - And how much time do you usually use on a lesson - are
the tapes built up in such a way that you can listen to them on their own and repeat things, or are they mostly
The DLI course seems to go to a much more advanced stage than the other audio courses
If you go through any basic Persian course you will be ready for DLI!

However, based on previous
and forms of speaking, is this so with the DLI course?

Yeah, you do get an overabundance of military terms - but in my experience it really helps with understanding
the news broadcasts!!
And how much time do you usually use on a lesson - are

I spend about a week per unit - 20-30 minutes a day -

You do need the books, but they are all available online for free!

Go for it!!

Snazzy
United States
Joined 4733 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: German, Norwegian, Japanese, Persian

Message 21 of 22
11 June 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to work my way through the DLI course that was posted. I'm starting at volume two because that's where the audio begins. I've been studying for a few months and I consider myself at level one right now. What's the best way to do go through each DLI lesson?

Thanks!

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6321 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 22 of 22
11 June 2011 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
You can take out the spaces in the 'drills' using audacity (They aren't really drills in the normal FSI sense, more like long lists of example sentances), and use them as listening comprehension. You could also repeat after the speaker. If you can get your brain to process the sentances at a fast rate, that's a good start.

Some of military vocab actually isn't so specialed. Like, the translation of 'water canteen' (qomqome? I forget now..) is actually quite a common word in Persian. Not an everyday word for most people, but you hear it from time to time.

Edited by DavidW on 11 June 2011 at 10:55pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version