CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5103 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 10
03 February 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Hello

I am currently finishing my passive wave of Assimil l'espagnol (today is lesson 91). I seem to have difficulties doing the active wave especially since lesson 30 and more. Some of those lessons are easier than others but overall, I really struggle on different aspects like vocabulary (don't remember the word) and preposition. Strangely enough, verb tense isn't that bad.

Maybe I don't approach the lessons in a good manner. Therefore, I will explain how I proceed. I always revise the last 6 lessons I did (passive and active). I only read the translation and try to formulate the correct sentences in Spanish. I do the same thing for the lesson of the day. I might repeat a lesson that I have difficulties a couple of time. As you might expect, at the end of a week, I can reproduce the lesson's sentences in a better way than the first time but I do feel a lot of the time, I just memorize it...

So, anyone had a similar problem or do you have any advices to help improve my active wave learning ?
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 10
03 February 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I would just chill out and not worry. There's no need to get everything right. Concentrate on what you are learning, rather than worrying about what your not.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4508 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 10
03 February 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't get everything right either. Don't worry, not scoring 100% is normal. The trick
is believing that the 80% you are getting right means there's a cog functioning in your
brain.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5366 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 10
03 February 2013 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
In Assimil terms you are now beginning to actively study the language - not test whether
you did it right in the passive wave. The more Assimil I do, the more I think of the
passive wave as a 'silent' period, where you are just getting a sense of the sound and
structure of the language. The real study begins in the active wave.

Its not a test - its where you begin your study of the language properly. Expect to go
over things again and again....
13 persons have voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5103 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 5 of 10
04 February 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
All really good points. Thank you guys.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4690 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 10
04 February 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
I had the same problems with Assimil Spanish. I'm currently on Lesson 70 of the Active
wave, and there's no way I could've done it using the 'official' method. There is too
much new vocabulary that they only use once, and too many idiomatic expressions that
don't translate well.

I review the dialogues, but focus more on the exercises, repeating them until I get them
right. Sometimes I do it aloud, sometimes written. This is much more manageable!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5182 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 10
04 February 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
There is too much new vocabulary that they only use once, and too many idiomatic expressions that don't translate well.

Exactly. It's not reasonable to expect that you'd remember "matches" weeks later after it came up in one lesson!

I now read the active wave lesson once over first, then I translate it, and I go over any small detail I may have forgotten. It's still active, it's still reinforcing, I'm still learning...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Nuuskamuikkunen
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4117 days ago

21 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, Polish, English

Message 8 of 10
05 February 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
There are two Assimils: the material and the method.

I personally adore Assimil the material: near 100 short, often very funny dialogues, presented progressively, plus the transcription and notes.

I love the Assimil method much less. I prefer a more traditional (?) approach being active from the start. For example I'd study one lesson (or more) today, ending it by translating from source to target language; tomorrow I'd once again try to translate from source to target, then review the whole lesson, and on with the next one(s).

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version