24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
daristani
United States
Joined 6945 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 9 of 24
23 February 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Tanizaki, did you get any response to your e-mail? It seems to me that the FSI site has been down longer this time than the last time, and I hope nothing has happened to VagabondPilgrim. Although I've never met him, he deserves great thanks for all his efforts to keep the site up and going (as did his predecessor, gdfellows).

I'd like to note for the record that both of these guys managed the sites at their own expense, and neither ever tried to "monetize" them with ads, membership, etc., or even set up a voluntary donation system.

I'm hoping that the site will be back up soon, but given the uncertainties, I do agree with the suggestion that it might be time to begin thinking about a possible backup or alternative system to keep the materials available.

Looking in my computer, I've got the following courses with audio: Amharic, Brazilian Portuguese FAST, French Basic, Greek, Hungarian, and Serbo-Croatian (vol. 1), which I'd be happy to share with anyone while the site is still down, and to contribute to any backup site. If anyone needs any of these, just PM me and provide an e-mail address and I'll be happy to provide them promptly.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 10 of 24
23 February 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
juscott wrote:
Looks like the site is still down. Does anybody have the first audio
units for the either the Programmatic Brazilian
Portuguese course...or for the Spanish to Brazilian Portuguese course?

I'm pretty sure I have both somewhere. Give me 24 hours to confirm I still have them and
send me a PM.

Edit: found them quicker than I thought (my files are really disorganized). Yes, I have
them. If anyone is interested, I also have Spanish (both), German, Bulgarian, Serbo-Croat
(I'd like to learn at least a little of a Slavic language, just out of sheer curiosity,
but I've never had time), Greek (but it's not very good IMO) and I think maybe Yoruba
(don't ask), though I'm not certain about that last one.

Edited by Random review on 23 February 2013 at 10:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6957 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 11 of 24
24 February 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
scribd also has some of the texts including some not on Internet Archive (e.g. Polish FAST, Vietnamese Familiarization and Conversational Finnish Textbook and Workbook)

Tanizaki
Triglot
United States
Joined 4601 days ago

21 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese

Message 12 of 24
24 February 2013 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
Tanizaki, did you get any response to your e-mail? It seems to me that the FSI site has been down longer this time than the last time, and I hope nothing has happened to VagabondPilgrim. Although I've never met him, he deserves great thanks for all his efforts to keep the site up and going (as did his predecessor, gdfellows).

I'd like to note for the record that both of these guys managed the sites at their own expense, and neither ever tried to "monetize" them with ads, membership, etc., or even set up a voluntary donation system.

I'm hoping that the site will be back up soon, but given the uncertainties, I do agree with the suggestion that it might be time to begin thinking about a possible backup or alternative system to keep the materials available.

Looking in my computer, I've got the following courses with audio: Amharic, Brazilian Portuguese FAST, French Basic, Greek, Hungarian, and Serbo-Croatian (vol. 1), which I'd be happy to share with anyone while the site is still down, and to contribute to any backup site. If anyone needs any of these, just PM me and provide an e-mail address and I'll be happy to provide them promptly.

I have not received any reply. There is also a phone number on the WHOIS page for the domain. I may give that a try.

Looking at my computer, I see that I have several FSI courses. I am sure between all of the members of this site, we can set up alternative ways for future learners to access these courses. Being public domain, there is no reason they should ever disappear from the Internet. Hopefully, some enthusiast has even archived some of the more exotic languages such as Twi.

On a related note, once the FSI site had been down for a few days, I took it upon myself to download all of the DLI courses from http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/ so that if it should ever be unavailable that the courses would still be safe.

Maybe we could start a new thread of people who could pledge to upload certain courses once we decide on the best way to do so.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 13 of 24
24 February 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I downloaded some time ago : Russian, German, Korean, Chinese mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic

I can put them on my website if the situation lasts. (but it will take some time as my upload speed is not very high.

Just tell me.

Best regards

PS: maybe we can make a repository on my server: there is still plenty of space.

UPDATE: I create a repository on : FSI-DLI

Nothing fancy (will do it later), only a directory ...

If someone wants to upload some material, send to me a PM; I'll give to you an FTP login/pass on my server.

I'm uploading my material (will take some time ;) the speed is 50Kb/s :(:(

Edited by Ericounet on 24 February 2013 at 12:15pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4817 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 24
24 February 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I have already uploaded a quarter of the FSI Basic French Course on
archive.org. I shall to upload the rest of the course shortly.
It would be a shame to let all these wonderful courses disappear!

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5584 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 15 of 24
24 February 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Tanizaki wrote:
daristani wrote:
Tanizaki, did you get any response to your e-mail?
It seems to me that the FSI site has been down longer this time than the last time, and
I hope nothing has happened to VagabondPilgrim. Although I've never met him, he
deserves great thanks for all his efforts to keep the site up and going (as did his
predecessor, gdfellows).

I'd like to note for the record that both of these guys managed the sites at their own
expense, and neither ever tried to "monetize" them with ads, membership, etc., or even
set up a voluntary donation system.

I'm hoping that the site will be back up soon, but given the uncertainties, I do agree
with the suggestion that it might be time to begin thinking about a possible backup or
alternative system to keep the materials available.

Looking in my computer, I've got the following courses with audio: Amharic, Brazilian
Portuguese FAST, French Basic, Greek, Hungarian, and Serbo-Croatian (vol. 1), which I'd
be happy to share with anyone while the site is still down, and to contribute to any
backup site. If anyone needs any of these, just PM me and provide an e-mail address
and I'll be happy to provide them promptly.

I have not received any reply. There is also a phone number on the WHOIS page for the
domain. I may give that a try.

Looking at my computer, I see that I have several FSI courses. I am sure between all of
the members of this site, we can set up alternative ways for future learners to access
these courses. Being public domain, there is no reason they should ever disappear from
the Internet. Hopefully, some enthusiast has even archived some of the more exotic
languages such as Twi.

On a related note, once the FSI site had been down for a few days, I took it upon
myself to download all of the DLI courses from
http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/ so that if it should
ever be unavailable that the courses would still be safe.

Maybe we could start a new thread of people who could pledge to upload certain courses
once we decide on the best way to do so.

Brilliant, mate. Great thinking.

breakfastfox
United States
Joined 4739 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 24
24 February 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
I have most of the Spanish Basic course mp3s (From unit 3-17), but I'm missing the rest
of the units and the accompanying PDFs. Shoot me a message if you're in need of the mp3s.
While on the topic, is anyone willing/able to hook me up with the rest of the course? ;)

Edited by breakfastfox on 24 February 2013 at 9:13pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version