Diglot
Australia
Joined 5354 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 1 of 94
16 February 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
So I'm finally getting round to starting my new log. I've been terribly busy with uni and getting used to the daily
rhythms once more, but now on this peaceful weekend I've appreciatively been afforded some time.

It seems I've come full circle with Dutch, it now being at the zenith of my language interests once more. After
meeting many a wonderful Dutch person in the last few months it was always so lovely to be able to speak a few
words with them, as it was to enjoy their sheer joy of life and gezelligheid, that it seems to have
reinvigorated and inspired me to commit anew to working towards fluency.

It was over 3 years ago that I began trying to improve my Dutch, but after 7 months or so of study my love for
Spanish wrestled her out of the way, and I had no choice but to heed to that want to learn the language of Castile
and the Americas. But now, after some 2 years of studying Castilian, I feel as though it's finally safe for me to
shift my main focus onto a different language, as as long as I keep reading, listening and producing, I should be
able to maintain my current level. Thus, this year I'll be focusing on my Dutch, putting emphasis on reading and
vocab acquisition (native input), and writing and speaking as much as I can.

Dutch: current level: I'd probably say I'm around an A2/B1, with my strengths being written and spoken
comprehension, and am hoping that by the end of the year that I'll be up around a strong B2 in all areas. I'll be
focusing a lot on grammar using Dutch: A Comprehensive Grammar by Bruce Donaldson and also
Dutch Grammar, which is from my experience an excellent free resource.
I'll also be listening to plenty of podcasts, doing an abundance of anki, writing when the impulse to do so hits me
and speaking to mum during her weekly update/how is everything; trying to change our predominant language
of Dutchlish to more or less solid Twents Dutch.

Spanish: I will of course keep practising and using my Spanish. Whilst I was away I picked up a bunch of
good books I'm keen to get into and also made a few Bolivian friends, so hopefully I'll be able to practice some
speaking/writing with them. I'll also keep doing my anki, writing the occasional scribble/rant/thought and
listening to podcasts. My goal this year is simply to maintain my level, and build upon the speaking confidence I
gained whilst travelling in South America.

Dus, voorwaarts en steeds vooruit!

Edited by Vos on 17 February 2013 at 10:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 94
16 February 2013 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Volgens mij is "Van kleine beginnen" geen Nederlands, wat bedoel je ermee? Ik zou als titel van je log voorstellen: "Opnieuw beginnen". Which means "Starting a again after a longer pause". Ik zou je aanraden om de titel te verbeteren! :)

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 February 2013 at 9:32am

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5354 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 3 of 94
16 February 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Hahaha nou, dank je wel Fasulye. Wat ik wilde zeggen was iets zoals 'from small beginnings', het leekt eenvoudig
genoeg, maar het is duidelijk niet goed uitgedrukt. Weet je (of iemand anders) van een betere manier om die uit te
drukken?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 94
16 February 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
"Klein beginnen", maar dat dekt de lading niet helemaal.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5354 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 5 of 94
16 February 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, mijn eerste uitdaging. Misschien zou ik moeten beginnen denken aan een nieuwe titel dan? Maar werkt het
niet in een grammaticale zin? En waarom 'klein' beginnen als het over het meervoud gaat? Best verwarrend.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 94
16 February 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Omdat beginnen hier het werkwoord is, en klein een bijwoord.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5354 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 7 of 94
17 February 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Maar is beginnen niet het meervoud van begin? Ik heb het werkwood niet bedoeld toen ik dat geschreven heb.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5893 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 8 of 94
17 February 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your languages this year Vos.
I hope the allure of Polish has remained and that the old bison will return!
Powodzenia!

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version