5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 163
02 April 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
Ach so. Nein, ich kannte diesen Unterschied nicht. Danke schön für die Erklärung, Fasulye. Dein rein fiktives Beispiel für "Wanderlust" kommt mir merkwürdigerweise irgendwie bekannt vor.

Natuerlich ist das fiktiv, was ich ueber die Wanderlust geschrieben habe, jedoch habe ich das, was ich geschrieben habe, an die Wirklichkeit angeknuepft. Recht viele Leute in diesem Forum haben mit Wanderlust zu kaempfen, es gibt ganze Threads darueber. Manche Leute schreiben auch ueber ihre Wanderlust in ihren Logs.

Ich selber bin voellig immun gegen Wanderlust und mir macht auch Dabbling keinen Spass.

Warum macht mir das keinen Spass?

Weil ich dann in allen Sprachen immer nur Anfaengerin waere! Gerade die fortgeschritteneren Levels meiner Sprachen finde ich aber interessant. Das Anfaengerstadium einer Sprache ist fuer mich nur der Einstieg, durch den ich mich hindurcharbeiten muss. Den richtigen "Adrenalin - Kick" bekomme ich, wenn ich eine Sprache besser beherrsche. Wenn ich totale Anfaengerin bin, kann ich zum Beispiel nicht korrespondieren oder skypen.   

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 April 2013 at 5:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4950 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 26 of 163
05 April 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I've started reading children's books in Danish. I found several online involving talking cartoon dogs and dinosaurs and was able to print them out for free. While looking for more, I came across the Danish audio for some Edgar Allan Poe stories, also free. Since I couldn't find the text for "The Tell-Tale Heart" in Danish, I printed out the English version and followed along in that while I listened to the Danish audio. I was surprised at how well it worked. Is this what people call L-R?

All this made me remember the three books I ordered last year when I was trying to learn Norwegian. They're bilingual versions of three of Henrik Ibsen's plays, with German on the right side and Norwegian ostensibly on the left. When I started reading, though, I found the "Norwegian" text contained words that I couldn't find in any of my Norwegian dictionaries, but which popped up in Danish text on the Internet. I came to the conclusion that this had to be some kind of archaic, Danish-mongrelized Norwegian that I had no business learning and put the books aside.

Last night I went back and looked at these books again and realized, after confirming my suspicions on the Internet, that the supposedly Norwegian text in all three is, in fact, Danish! It turns out Ibsen wrote his plays in Danish and all three of these books are the original manuscripts. What a Danish-German language learning bonanza! It's much easier to have one book with both languages side-by-side (and properly aligned with each other) than it is to try to juggle two books, one in one language and one in the other.
1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4950 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 27 of 163
16 April 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
I ran across a Danish website called "Go' Morgen Danmark" that's sort of a "Good Morning, America"-type show, only it's set in Copenhagen and everybody speaks Danish. I'd been searching for a long time for an online source of spoken Danish and I was really excited to find that this site had tons of videos about various themes. Then, after a couple of days the videos quit playing and a message came up telling me I needed to buy some kind of add-on. Figures. I'm not going to do it for two reasons: I don't trust the application and I feel like I'm being coerced.

Luckily, my enthusiasm was buoyed by another discovery. While cruising around the Internet, I ran across a blog by an American who'd lived in Denmark for five years and was describing her experience learning the language. She recommended Copenhagencast, a course consisting of Danish audio and pdf files, so I checked it out and downloaded the whole thing last night. I think it's going to be very helpful.

I had been trying to avoid using Anki for Danish, but I really don't think I can afford to. I know the over 7,300 Anki cards I made for German were indispensable for my progressing to C level, so I bit the bullet and finally upgraded my neglected Anki so I could also install it on my iPhone. Now I guess it's time to start making Danish cards. I wonder if there are any good ready-made decks anyone can recommend.

I'm at lesson 18 of Assimil Dänisch ohne Mühe and I've made practice recordings with pauses for all these lessons using Audacity. I'm in the process of doing the same for a Danish course for German-speakers called "Av, min arm", whose audio sounds a lot more like the rapid, slurred Danish I encountered on "Go' Morgen Danmark". Some time back I discovered a series of over 40 short videos about Danish history before, during and after WWII. They're in Danish and, to my incredibly good fortune, they also have Danish subtitles. I downloaded all of them and I'm sure glad I did because I noticed the other day that they've since been removed from YouTube. I've also been watching Borgen, also wirh Danish subtitles.

Edited by AlOlaf on 16 April 2013 at 5:13pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5649 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 163
16 April 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Laerebogen "Av, min arm" kender jeg ikke, jeg har kun set titlen pâ "www.sprachwelt.de". Jeg har 4 laereböger og öveböger dansk:

- Einstieg Dänisch A1
- Dänisch Neu A1/A2
- Vi snakkes ved A1/A2
- Dansk for dig A1/A2

Assimil Dänisch har jeg ikke köbt ind.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 April 2013 at 8:04pm

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4950 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 29 of 163
16 April 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Bruger du Anki?

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5649 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 163
16 April 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Nej, jeg har aldrig brugt Anki, fordi jeg buger for meget min PC. Jeg kan bedre laere mine vokabler i toget eller i byen uden min PC.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 April 2013 at 8:27pm

Tilia
Diglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4278 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 31 of 163
17 April 2013 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
I have never watched much "Go' morgen Danmark", but if you like it maybe you should try "Aftenshowet" from DR(Danmarks Radio)I think it is somewhat similar. All of DR's own programs are available on their website (www.dr.dk), but I'm not sure if all of it can be watched outside Denmark. I had heard that it couldn't, but then I have also heard that some people can. But maybe you already use dr.dk, since you watch Borgen?
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4950 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 32 of 163
17 April 2013 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
I tried it and, although I couldn't watch the video, I can listen to the radio programming, which will be a big help to me, since I'm trying to attune my ear to spoken Danish. Thanks so much!

Edit: The videos on "Go' morgen Danmark" are playing for me again! Maybe it was just a temporary glitch.

Edited by AlOlaf on 17 April 2013 at 2:09am

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version