5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 163
30 October 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi Schwarzer Wolf,

I am a Skypie of AlOlaf, so I would like give you an answer to your question as well. I am a big fan of the German based Hueber courses of Danish. "Einstieg Dänisch" is an excellent textbook which I have used myself. On the audios also the vocabulary is presented, so you can listen to the vocabulary serval times and then you know it already. I would suggest you to start with this textbook.

As a second step you could also use "Vi snakkes ved" (Hueber-Verlag) or "Dansk for dig" (Klett-Verlag). The last two textbooks and workbooks are nowadays used in the Volkshochschulen (VHS) in Germany. They are both designed for classes, whereas "Einstieg Dänisch" is a self-study textbook. I self-studied also with "Vi snakkes ved", so if you leave out the partner exercises, you can use it for self-study as well.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 October 2013 at 8:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 58 of 163
30 October 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi SchwarzerWolf, first let me say that your English is flawless. I never would have suspected you weren't a native speaker. I think you should definitely move English to "speaks".

I'm glad Fasulye was able to give you imput on the Hueber course and Vi snakkes ved. I've got them both, but haven't done a lot with them. As for the other Danish courses, it's kind of hard for me to assess them properly because I don't ever use them the way you're supposed to. My main focus is on pronunciation, so the first thing I do is alter the recordings so I can repeat after them and then I go about learning grammar and vocabulary, but I don't always adhere to the structure of the course. That being said, I like Assimil's Dänisch ohne Mühe a lot. It's the only Danish course of any kind that I've actually completed (except for the second wave, which I still haven't been able to make myself do). I like that the audio is pure Danish with no music or annoying narrative and I think there's more vocabulary than with most (if not all) of my other courses.

I've worked about halfway through Lextra Sprachkurs Dänisch (the German version of Teach Yourself Danish) and I like it a lot, too. Although I haven't gotten around to Langenscheidt's Dänisch mit System yet, I worked through their Norwegian offering some time back and found it to be excellent.

In any case, I think it's important that you're able to understand the German instructions and explanations without too much trouble, otherwise it could wind up being more frustrating than fun. If you can manage it, though, it opens up a whole world of great learning materials. German courses are precise and clear because the language lends itself to precision and clarity. And Danish is a supremely cool language. I'm glad to know there's somebody else out there trying to learn it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

SchwarzerWolf
Italy
Joined 4335 days ago

20 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 59 of 163
30 October 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Hi Schwarzer Wolf,

I am a Skypie of AOlaf, so I would like give you an answer to your question as well. I am a big fan of the German based Hueber courses of Danish. "Einstieg Dänisch" is an excellent textbook which I have used myself. On the audios also the vocabulary is presented, so you can listen to the vocabulary serval times and then you know it already. I would suggest you to start with this textbook.

First of all, thank you for your help.
I downloaded the sample unit from their offical website, which is the fourth unit, and I can see it's made up of just a few sentences with a good quality audio file. I guess it's very affordable, still don't know if it's the best to start with, anyway.
I wonder if in Denmark there's a local "Hueber" with plenty of courses to choose from or courses aimed at immigrants that could be useful as well.
AlOlaf wrote:
Hi SchwarzerWolf, first let me say that your English is flawless. I never would have suspected you weren't a native speaker. I think you should definitely move English to "speaks".

Wow, thank you. But, really, I don't deserve all this. Although behind the screen it may seem I'm an advanced learner, my knowledge of this language is not as perfect as one might think, my pronunciation is awful and my grammar knowledge poor. Luckily on the internet I can pretend I know what I'm talking about :)
Quote:
It's the only Danish course of any kind that I've actually completed (except for the second wave, which I still haven't been able to make myself do). I like that the audio is pure Danish with no music or annoying narrative and I think there's more vocabulary than with most (if not all) of my other courses.

I've worked about halfway through Lextra Sprachkurs Dänisch (the German version of Teach Yourself Danish) and I like it a lot, too. Although I haven't gotten around to Langenscheidt's Dänisch mit System yet, I worked through their Norwegian offering some time back and found it to be excellent.That's a good point for Assimil.

That's a good point for Assimil. Could you briefly compare Assimil to Dänisch mit System? Langenscheidt claims you can learn around 1700 words and their method shouldn't be very different from the Assimil one.
Quote:
In any case, I think it's important that you're able to understand the German instructions and explanations without too much trouble, otherwise it could wind up being more frustrating than fun. If you can manage it, though, it opens up a whole world of great learning materials. German courses are precise and clear because the language lends itself to precision and clarity. And Danish is a supremely cool language. I'm glad to know there's somebody else out there trying to learn it.

Well, I'm a huge fan of "no more than one language at a time" so I'll keep studying German until my course is over and i feel I'm finally at advanced level. I'm just gathering information about a language that arouses my curiosity. And once again, thank you.

Edited by Fasulye on 31 October 2013 at 8:08am

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 60 of 163
31 October 2013 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
[/QUOTE]
Could you briefly compare Assimil to Dänisch mit System? Langenscheidt claims you can learn around 1700 words and their method shouldn't be very different from the Assimil one.

Assimil has the target language dialogue on the left page and the translation directly opposite on the right, with a complete glossary at the end of the book, whereas Langenscheidt puts all the translations in the back of the book and lists the new words for each chapter directly after that chapter’s dialogue.

Unique to Assimil is the inclusion of a phonetic script with the dialogues. In the case of Dänisch ohne Mühe, this script takes Danish words and creates spellings which, when pronounced using the (admirably consistent) German phonetic system, approximate the Danish pronunciation. I’ve found this script particularly useful because it shows exactly where in words the notorious Danish glottal stop (stød) occurs.

Assimil claims you can learn 2,500 words with Dänisch ohne Mühe. I don't care what you say. Your written English is damned good.

Edited by AlOlaf on 31 October 2013 at 1:53am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 61 of 163
31 October 2013 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
It's excellent that AlOlaf has experience with "Dänisch ohne Mühe" and "Dänisch mit System" because I have got neither of these two books.

For Assimil courses in general the audios are very expensive (more than 80 EUR for 4 audio CDs), so I wouldn't have the money to buy them. I have browsed through the Langenscheidt language courses in our mediothek and they didn't convince me. High prices, small letters and they don't really look modern. So I remain a fan of the resources of Hueber-Verlag and Klett-Verlag.

Fasulye

SchwarzerWolf
Italy
Joined 4335 days ago

20 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 62 of 163
31 October 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Ok, now I have a more precise idea of the differences among the courses.
In case I decided to start learning Danish, it's good to know I have at least four options.
At the same time, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see on the market a lot of material to go further, isn't it? Do you (I mean both AlOlaf and Fasulye) have any idea about it?
And what about a dictionary? When I learn a language, I like to use a dictionary to expand my vocabulary, so that I can put into my Anki deck all the words that are related to the ones I learn (for example, if I come across the word "neutral" in my German course, I'll add to my Anki deck the words Neutralität, Neutralismus, neutralisierbar and so on)
A research on the internet brought me to this one: http://www.ordbog.gyldendal.dk/sitecore/content/Ordbog/konfi guration/Produkter/Download%20-%20Italiensk.aspx?lang=Italie nsk&segment=K%C3%B8b+privat
Do you have any experience with it or with other dictionaries?
Last question: now let's talk about your decision of learning this language. Do you ever regret it? :)
Is the pronunciation as difficult as they say? Is it true that spoken Danish is quite impossible to understand? What level of knowledge are you at? Is there anything you would advice to a total beginner? In a word, if you want to share your point of view about this language, I'd be glad to listen to it. Thank you for your help once again.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 163
31 October 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
THE CEFR - LEVELS OF THE DANISH TEXTBOOKS

Let me first answer this part of the question. I don't have the Assimil Danish textbook and I have never seen it, but I have browsed through the Langenscheidt "Dänisch mit System" which covers A1/A2/B1. "Einstieg Dänisch" covers A1 and "Vi snakkes ved" and "Dansk for dig" both A1/A2. As far as I know is the Langencheidt "Dänisch mit System" the only textbook which leads to B1-level.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 November 2013 at 9:41am

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 64 of 163
31 October 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
My favorite German-Danish dictionary is Langenscheidt's Taschenwörterbuch Dänisch, but the Gyldendal is also good.

I've only been studying Danish seriously since the first of the year, so I'm not far from being a complete beginner. The sound of the language just knocked me out from the start and the more I hear it, the cooler it sounds to me. Sure it's hard to pronounce and understand, but therein lies the challenge. There's lots to achieve.

Right now I'm reading, listening to and watching everything in Danish I can get my hands on. Since I don't really know what I'm doing myself, I hesitate to give advice to others. Emme wrote something recently, though, that rang true to me: Follow your heart. If you want to do something bad enough, you'll find a way to do it.

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version