Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Can you learn a language only by reading?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
leosmith
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 25
18 February 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Maecenas23 wrote:
Without studying grammar,without communication but only by reading and listening? Is it possible to achieve native fluency that way and start speaking?

no
8 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 25
18 February 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Maecenas23 wrote:
Without studying grammar,without communication but only by reading
and listening? Is it possible to achieve native fluency that way and start speaking?

Not a chance. Nobody acquires native fluency, then "starts speaking".

The only thing you'll be good at by only reading and listening is reading and listening.
There is no concept of fluency in listening or reading. If you want to become fluent you
need to practice speaking.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 25
18 February 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
There totally is a concept of fluent reading/listening. or proficient if you prefer this word.
I agree that you can't "start speaking" at a native level (even native speakers don't do that), but you can start at a pretty good level. But the listening part is crucial for that. When I first tried to speak Italian after a lot of listening, I was surprised just how much I knew actively. It does save time and effort if you read and listen first and start using the language actively when you're comfortable with it. By the time you understand everything (or just feel comfortable reading/listening even when you don't), you'll be able to say a lot too.
9 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 12 of 25
18 February 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There totally is a concept of fluent reading/listening. or proficient
if you prefer this word.

I disagree. Fluency refers to production, not reception. One can certainly be proficient
at reading and listening, but that's got nothing to do with fluency.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 25
18 February 2013 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
The way I see it, fluency can mean ease of reading (or listening). Anyway, the terms "passive fluency" or "reading fluency" are very common here.
6 persons have voted this message useful

karpat
Diglot
Poland
Joined 4113 days ago

24 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, Czech, Latin

Message 14 of 25
18 February 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
No chance. Unless you're remarkably determined, you'll give up soon enough.

I did that with English, though not without any prior knowledge of the language (I was intermediate or so) and, even though we didn't speak much at school (meaning - hardly at all), when I enrolled at a college I could speak without many problems, but only after YEARS of reading (and it was at least 4 hours a day, in summer up to 12).

Still, after all those years of reading (I hadn't been listening unless I started college), which is 9 or so now, I am nowhere near native fluency. Without speaking, there is no chance to reach that level, unless you are excepionally talented. I am not.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 25
18 February 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Tanya reminded me of a story I heard: decades ago, a chinese medicine professor was
corresponding with the americans and had a lot to say about his research and so on. So
they managed to get him there for a visit. But there was a trouble. While his writen
English was flawless, nobody could understand him speaking. He had never heard English
so he had invented his own pronunciation of the written language.

So, by reading only (as the title says), you can learn to perfectly read and write.

By reading and listening (and listening before reading out loud or anything like that),
you can learn a language without grammar books and similar things. the L-R method is
based on it.

But it may not be the most efficient way, as emk said.
6 persons have voted this message useful

expatmaddy
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 4126 days ago

19 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin

Message 16 of 25
19 February 2013 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
I think it's important to physically make your mouth form the sounds and voice the words
you are reading.

Language pronunciation is a large share muscle memory, and you would be doing yourself a
disservice not to form those connections between the sounds and the way your mouth must
most, since you will be spending all that time anyway.

I know that there are languages that are harder to pronounce than others, and will leave
you lisping or bumbling just from trying to position your mouth correctly.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version