bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4390 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 18 of 43
30 January 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Ops...someone forgot to update their log ^_^:::

Let's try to make up for it, shall we? Here's my entry for January's Team Spaß challenge. We had to pick a German song and learn its lyrics. My pick was Rammstein's Feur Frei, although it is one of my favourite Rammstein's songs I never bothered to look up the words I didn't know.

I would have liked to choose a more complex song, but since I'm already reviewing on Anki a lot of leftover cards (ie. cards I should have studied ages ago) I opted to learn an easy song and attempt to translate it instead. I didn't find many difficult parts to translate, aside from two small fragments marked with (?). Any corrections are obviously much welcome!

Original lyrics compiled by myself and double checked with the ones listed on Sing365.

Condemned is who knows the pain
from the fire that burns the skin
I throw a light
in my face
My hot cry
Fire at will!
Bang bang (x2)

Ennobled is who knows the pain
from the fire that burns in passion
a sparkling hit (?)
in her womb
a hot cry
Fire at will!

REFRAIN (x2)
Bang bang

Bang bang
Bang bang
Fire at will!

Dangerous is who knows the pain
from the fire that burns the spirit
Bang bang

Dangerous (is?) the child
burned with fire that is separated from life
A hot cry
Bang bang
Fire at will!

REFRAIN 1 (x2)
Your fortune
is not my fortune
it is my misfortune

REFRAIN 2 (x2)
Bang bang
Bang bang
Fire at will!

Bang bang
Bang bang
1 person has voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4390 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 19 of 43
30 January 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Another day, another challenge! This is my pitiful attempt at writing a self-introduction in Swedish, actually my very first attempt at writing anything in Swedish. As always, any corrections are much welcome! I still have have to write a proper intro post and complete the remaining January challenges. Off to work!

Hej allihop! Mitt namn är Sofia och jag är italienska. Jag bor i norra Italien med min mor, min systrar och våra fyra hundarna. Jag tycka om utländska språken, i universitet jag studerat engelska, spanska (3 året), i tyska (2 året). Kort därefter gradering jag började att lära franska och svenska. Jag har lärt mig svenska i ett år, men jag kan inte prata eller skriva mycket bra. Jag hoppas att bli bättre denna år! Förutom att lära mig språket in min fritid jag gilla att läsa böcker, spela datorspels, göra sport och gå ut med mina hundarna.

Hey everybody! My name is Sofia and I'm Italian. I live in northern Italy with my mum, my sister and our four dogs. I love foreign languages, at university I studied English, Spanish (3 years), and German (2 years). Shortly after graduation I began to study French and Swedish. I've been studying Swedish for a year, but I cannot write or speak very well. I hope to become better this year! Aside from studying languages, in my spare time I like to read books, play video games, do sports and walk out my dogs.

Edited by suzukaze on 30 January 2014 at 6:58pm

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 20 of 43
01 February 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Bra jobbat!

By the way, I don’t remember whether you’ve ever mentioned which edition of Assimil Swedish you’re using. The old (very intense) Le Suédois sans peine by Jean-François Battail or the newer Le Suédois by William Fovet?

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4390 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 21 of 43
01 February 2014 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Bra jobbat!
By the way, I don’t remember whether you’ve ever mentioned which edition of Assimil Swedish you’re using. The old (very intense) Le Suédois sans peine by Jean-François Battail or the newer Le Suédois by William Fovet?

Tack så mycket, Emme :)

No, I didn't specify which Assimil I'm using. I have an old edition, the one published in 1986 to be more exact. Did you also use Assimil for Swedish? I'm finding this version a bit difficult, which is the reason why I want to review it very well before moving on to the active stage.

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4423 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 22 of 43
02 February 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Bonne chance pour le 6 week challenge en français ! In bocca al lupo!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 23 of 43
03 February 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
[...] I have an old edition, the one published in 1986 to be more exact. Did you also use Assimil for Swedish? I'm finding this version a bit difficult, which is the reason why I want to review it very well before moving on to the active stage.

Actually, I only had a very superficial overview of both courses. I suppose I’m waiting for my next stage of study to use them: I have the theory that Assimil is great either at the very beginning of your learning process when you need to soak up a little language almost by osmosis, or when you’re already fairly proficient to improve vocabulary and fluency while it doesn’t really work for me when I want to start systematizing the basis I already have. That’s a personal opinion, of course, so I don’t expect others to share it.

Anyway, the impression I had of the older course is that it’s really rich and pretty demanding, but I’m sure you’ll end up learning quite a lot if you have the kind of stamina it takes to finish it. I’m not surprised you find it somewhat difficult: I find that all Assimil courses have a very steep learning curve from a certain point forward and while they all begin as unthreatening books for inexperienced learners, they soon become really challenging (even when I did the French one, where an Italian has the advantage of the transparency of the language, it turned out that maintaining the suggested one-lesson-a-day pace was too much for me and I had to slow down a lot).

Keep up the good work: your teammates are rooting for you!

Edited by Emme on 03 February 2014 at 10:12pm

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4390 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 24 of 43
30 March 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
First of all...sorry for the super late reply ^_^;;; I focused so much on studying, especially during the 6WC, that I went MIA.

Emme wrote:
[...] the impression I had of the older course is that it’s really rich and pretty demanding

I'm not familiar with the new coursers, but I agree that the learning curve is indeed steep, especially after lesson 50. Or actually earlier than that in Swedish. In some cases I was able to go through a lesson only because some of the new words were similar to words I already knew from German. I will probably continue to study with Assimil for now, but I may choose a different course when I'll start a new language...being torn between Russian and Japanese I certainly won't be able to rely on language similarity :P

Things are easier with French since, as you correctly pointed out, we have a certain advantage being Italian. Even so I decided to spend more than the suggested time amount on each lesson since I seem to suffer from a strange allergy to accents...I get them wrong most of the times -.-

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version