Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 18
06 March 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
If you do go to São Paulo for Japanese, then I recommend to visit Liberdade during Sundays in the daytime by the subway station. A lot of sales and vendors from the Japanese community. That is where I bought a program to learn Japanese with a Portuguese base. Avoid buying the books in the cultural bookstore (Livraria Cultura)downtown, as the price is exorbitant and from what I remember no cds included.

I spent two weeks in Sampa last year staying in Liberdade in a Japanese hotel and hanging out with Japanese-Brazilians. I got a lot of good resources there. I don't know if I'll ever decide to learn Japanese, but if I do, I'd go back to Sampa in a heartbeat. Also, the local Jewish Center there has Yiddish and Hebrew courses!
1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7033 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 10 of 18
06 March 2013 at 2:44am | IP Logged 

@ Jeff,

I thought, since there are many programs to learn Swedish in comparison to the other
sibling Scandinavian languages, that Swedish bases would be more common in comparison
to the others. I would think Swedes or someone who knows Swedish would buy and use the
programs if they were aware of them. This of course depends on the quality.

@ Iguanamon,

I am interested more in Yiddish first, than Hebrew. Only if I have German, then
Yiddish would be a consideration. I remember seeing the course "Bem Vindo", but had no
idea how many items are in the series. I have the Portuguese base "Falar, Ler, Escrever
Português", "Português via Brasil" and "Diálogo Brasil" without the text for teachers.
I intend to use "Panorama Brasil" to increase my vocabulary for Business.

I already have a Catalan program to learn Catalan in addition to the English (TY),
French (Assimil) and Spanish (Assimil & PONS) bases. I do prefer to increase vocabulary
through some sort of course, as I have a specified direction. The acid test on native
speakers afterwards.

In addition to this I am compiling the list of suffixes between French, Spanish,
Brazilian Portuguese and Italian, which are to switch from one word to the others to
cut down on word search in a dictionary. I found Catalan can be on this list as well,
and Romanian to a lesser degree.

@ Serpent,

I will pose a similar question to you, since you are in a better position to answer
specifically.
Are there Russian base programs to learn the other Slavic languages with a book and
cds?
Similarly, Russian is the most popular Slavic language, so I would presume there are,
but I have no idea what they are.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 11 of 18
06 March 2013 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
I actively seek out other language bases, unless I find nothing it is back to an English base. Thanks for the links, as I have not read many of these. I made a thread similar to this one. I think it was in 2005, but the current one is many bases to learn the next language not just one.

The nice thing is the indirect knowledge of one carries over to the next. An example
will be Papiamento. When I learn that, then learning Afrikaans and Dutch are easier,
due to the amount of words used in the language. Tones can help in learning other tonal languages like Mandarin. Esperanto agglutination for Turkish or Uzbek.

In that case this kind of linguistic "discounting" is most obvious and most likely to occur when you confine yourself to studying languages within the same genetic sub-group, although you can sometimes derive unexpected benefit in learning a new language drawing on what you've seen previously when learning unrelated languages because of similarities arising from areal influence, common cultural orientation of the speech communities or interaction between the speech communities (includes loanwords, but sometimes also calques).

If I break down my foreign languages by genetic sub-grouping, I get the following:

- Balto-Slavonic
1) Polish
2) Polish -> Slovak
3) Polish, Slovak -> Czech
4) Polish, Slovak, Czech -> BCMS/SC
5) Polish, Slovak, Czech, BCMS/SC > Slovenian
6) Polish, Slovak, Czech, BCMS/SC, Slovenian -> Lithuanian*
7) Polish, Slovak, Czech, BCMS/SC, Slovenian, Lithuanian* -> Ukrainian
8) Polish, Slovak, Czech, BCMS/SC, Slovenian, Lithuanian*, Ukrainian -> Latvian*

* Lithuanian and Latvian differ noticeably from the Slavonic languages but there are certain isoglosses that are shared between Baltic and Slavonic languages to the point where a link through a common Balto-Slavonic proto-language rather than areal influence is feasible.

- Finno-Ugric (if it exists, otherwise Uralic)
1) Hungarian
2) Hungarian -> Estonian
3) Hungarian, Estonian -> Finnish
4) Hungarian, Estonian, Finnish -> (Inari Saami - dabbling only)
5) Hungarian, Estonian, Finnish, (Inari Saami) -> Northern Saami
6) Hungarian, Estonian, Finnish, (Inari Saami), Northern Saami -> Meadow Mari

- Italic
1) French
2) French -> Latin (with some "support" from English because of influx of loanwords of Latin origin)
3) French, Latin -> Romanian (with initially surprising support from Slavonic languages because of roughly 15% of the Romanian lexicon consisting of Slavonic loanwords)

- Germanic
1) English
2) English -> German (with a little bit of a boost from French and Latin because of the degree to which loanwords of Latin or French origin turn up in German)

- Turkic (if Altaic does not exist)
1) (Uralic/Finno-Ugric languages) -> Turkish**

** There are some "hidden discounts" from Finno-Ugric/Uralic languages because of typological similarities (e.g. certain similarity between Finnish and Turkish usage of infinitives as nouns that can accept suffixes similar to nouns, word order in Meadow Mari and Turkish is SOV as a rule), and/or lexical similarities (namely almost 10% of Hungarian word roots are ascribed to borrowings from Turkic)

See "How languages help you on for the next" for some relevant discussion.
4 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7033 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 12 of 18
06 March 2013 at 5:52am | IP Logged 

Thanks Chung, this is great. I did read how Turkish speakers found Finnish easier and
vice versa on a couple sites over a week ago. The other benefit if Altaic exists for
Turkish is how it helps out in learning Japanese and Korean. Plus the amount of Persian
and Arabic words in Turkish. The characters in Japanese can help in learning written
Chinese.
On the point of loanwords. My interest in the few Austronesian languages, have a lot of
loanwords. Spanish and English in Tagalog and Cebuano. There is a book I have titled
"Hispanismos en Cebuano" and another book for Indonesian "Loanwords in Indonesian and
Malay" Dutch, Portuguese, Sanskrit and others are abundant. I guess Papiamento again can
help with Indonesian in this way with Dutch and Portuguese without someone realizing it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 18
06 March 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
I will pose a similar question to you, since you are in a better position to answer
specifically.
Are there Russian base programs to learn the other Slavic languages with a book and
cds?
Similarly, Russian is the most popular Slavic language, so I would presume there are,
but I have no idea what they are.
There certainly are, but there's not much quality stuff available in Russia. I would say the ones with the biggest selection of materials are Ukrainian, Polish and Czech. In general, people don't tend to learn them unless they spend a lot of time in that specific country, and then they can get monolingual resources there, possibly with glossaries.
Nowadays there are the same difficulties with the non-Slavic Eastern European languages (Latvian, Estonian, Romanian) and the Caucasian ones, but it's probably possible to find old books made in the USSR.

There's a lot more stuff in Russian for the 'cool' Western European languages like Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, not to mention the big three of English, German, French.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4942 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 14 of 18
06 March 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm just doing Thai -> Thai. Am I missing out on something?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 18
06 March 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
@ Jeff,

I thought, since there are many programs to learn Swedish in comparison to the other
sibling Scandinavian languages, that Swedish bases would be more common in comparison
to the others. I would think Swedes or someone who knows Swedish would buy and use the programs if they were aware of them. This of course depends on the quality.

OK, let us assume that there are more courses (Teach Yourself, Colloquial, FSI etc.) for Swedish than for Danish/Norwegian/(Icelandic/Faroese). Whether this means that Swedish is more "popular" or "useful", I don't know. Anyway, it doesn't mean that there are Swedish-based courses for any language in the world, let alone the Germanic languages, and definitely not good ones. No Swedish course compares to Teach Yourself/Colloquial/Assimil/FSI/Linguaphone, so you're most likely better off adding courses with other language bases (usually English). I'm pretty sure that the best material for learning Dutch or even Gothic is written in English and German. Material for Icelandic or Faroese, however, is probably available in Norwegian and Danish.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 18
06 March 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
One language for which Swedish probably has a lot more materials than many other languages is Finnish.
However, Finns don't use Swedish-based textbooks for anything XD I couldn't even find a German one (thought it would be fun) although you'd think some Finnish Swedes would want to study German through Swedish.

Speaking of Finland, most materials I could find there were English-based or TL-only. I got a good Romanian dictionary for example.
Finns are certainly more comfortable than Russians with learning via English. Not only because Finnish is a smaller language, but also simply because many Russians start learning other languages without "finishing" English!

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version