alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7033 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 18
05 March 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 

Many members in this forum now know to use other base languages to learn another
language to solidify the previous one learned. I want to know now are there many
members who use multiple language bases to learn a new one?
In this case solidifying the previous languages learned.

Here has been my experience currently.
 English -> Esperanto
 English -> Spanish
 English & Spanish -> Portuguese

Afterwards.
 English, Spanish & Portuguese -> French
 English, Spanish & French -> Catalan
 English & Spanish -> Papiamento
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 18
05 March 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I use whatever resources I can come across, in languages I can read (usually Swedish and English). For many of my target languages, there is something written in Swedish (either on the Internet or as physical books), but for the other languages (including almost anything else I want to read about), there is a lot in English. I don't do this as a "method" per se, it's just that English is everywhere.

By the way, anyone whose native language isn't English is likely to use English+mother tongue. Nothing strange about that.
1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7033 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 3 of 18
05 March 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 

Jeff,

Are there Swedish programs with cds to learn other Germanic languages?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 18
05 March 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
Many members in this forum now know to use other base languages to learn another language to solidify the previous one learned. I want to know now are there many members who use multiple language bases to learn a new one?

I don't do this unless I have no reasonable alternative in English (see Saamic languages). Even though I have no problem using material published in French, it makes my task of learning a foreign language even less strenuous if I can rely more on material that's published in English (assumming that the quality of this material suits my purposes and expectations).

This is different though from using learning material for my target language that's published in another language in which I have at least basic passive knowledge to supplement what I've already picked up using material in English (e.g. I've brushed up on my Czech using this course which is published for German-speaking learners).

See also the following:

Learning L3 with L2
Learning L3 via L2?
L2 Ability Limited by L1 Knowledge
Dictionaries for language learning
Use of second language!
Using non-native languages
How many languages to learn others?
Two languages at the SAME time
Best non-English programs
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 18
05 March 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
I solidified my Spanish before I tried to learn Portuguese. When I first started learning Portuguese seriously. I thought, like everyone else, that I should learn it through Spanish. What I found, as a second language speaker of Spanish, is that it led me to think of Portuguese more in terms of how it relates to Spanish instead of seeing it on its own terms as a separate, yet related, language. I was seeing Portuguese through a Spanish lens. That may work well for some folks but it wasn't working for me. I then started reading using a pop-up monolingual Portuguese dictionary on my kindle, relying on context and leveraging my knowledge of Spanish to help me.

I got a copy of Bem-vindo a "Português para estrangeiros" course from ebay for under $5 and located the audio. I did the first 8 chapters. I downloaded the DLI Portuguese Basic Course, which uses very little English and jumped in at Volume 4 (mainly for the drills). I got an Orkut account and started chatting online with Brazilians as soon as I had the basics down. I hired a non-English-speaking Brazilian skype tutor for conversation practice, advice and critique. My knowledge of Spanish was a huge asset in giving me a context and a framework most of the time, but sometimes it wasn't. There are a lot of differences (see Eu não falo português in Spanish, by Colombian journalist Daniel Samper).

So, I used Spanish but not as a base language to learn Portuguese. It was there in the background to help, and sometimes hinder, me as I learned Portuguese mostly through Portuguese.

With Haitian Creole, I jumped right into listening and reading, reading with a bilingual (English) dictionary an almost all monolingual course and the 30 lesson Pimsleur course. My Spanish, Portuguese, English and high school French, along with a native conversation partner, helped me to rapidly gain an A2 equivalent level. I'm now debating whether I want to take the language further to intermediate level or not.

So, in short my answer would be that I use all the knowledge I have acquired through my other languages to learn a related language. The other languages are an aid. With the exception of Pimsleur, I prefer monolingual or nearly monligual sources as it forces me to think in the language earlier. The connections seem to happen for me quicker and I am able to make more inferences through context in this way. I use multiple sources and find that they can have a useful synergy. I read before I'm ready. I listen before I'm ready and I speak before I'm ready. Then it all comes together and I'm ahead of the game. I just know what works for me.

As much as I love Spanish, using it as a base to learn Portuguese wasn't helping. Using it as my "ace in the hole" made a huge difference. I can only speak for myself. Many non-native French-speakers here have used the Assimil French base courses to successfully learn languages. They do find it helps them consolidate their knowledge of their L2. If it works for you, great!

If I ever decided to learn Papiamento with knowledge of English, Spanish and Portuguese, I'd probably follow the same blueprint as for Haitian Creole and Portuguese. My barber is a native-speaker. We speak Spanish together. If I learn Japanese- I'll use Portuguese materials, because there are great resources out there with a Portuguese base and I could go to São Paulo for native speaker practice. I do love Brazil! I'll take any excuse to go there again.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7033 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 6 of 18
06 March 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 

I actively seek out other language bases, unless I find nothing it is back to an
English base. Thanks for the links, as I have not read many of these. I made a thread
similar to this one. I think it was in 2005, but the current one is many bases to learn
the next language not just one.

The nice thing is the indirect knowledge of one carries over to the next. An example
will be Papiamento. When I learn that, then learning Afrikaans and Dutch are easier,
due to the amount of words used in the language. Tones can help in learning other tonal
languages like Mandarin. Esperanto agglutination for Turkish or Uzbek.

My goal is to be high fluency in five languages, but conversational in more. Meaning,
as far as the programs I finish will take me. If the limit is only basic phrases, then
basic phrases it will be.

@Iguanamon,

If you do go to São Paulo for Japanese, then I recommend to visit Liberdade during
Sundays in the daytime by the subway station. A lot of sales and vendors from the
Japanese community. That is where I bought a program to learn Japanese with a
Portuguese base. Avoid buying the books in the cultural bookstore (Livraria Cultura)
downtown, as the price is exorbitant and from what I remember no cds included.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 18
06 March 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Yes, for me that's definitely a way to solidify my knowledge of other languages. Or to make the whole textbook learning thing more fun - like when I'm actually learning more of the base language.
When I finally get around to learning Swedish through Finnish, it would not be about solidifying my Finnish but simply about experiencing what pretty much every native speaker has experienced.
One more interesting combination is Italian and Croatian. I've downloaded a textbook and I have a book with poetry, for example (parallel texts). Of course they are closer culturally than linguistically.

Oh and nowadays my main ways of learning L3 through L2 are LR, dictionaries and Assimil. other than this I mostly just use native materials anyway.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 18
06 March 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
Are there Swedish programs with cds to learn other Germanic languages?

There certainly are for English and German, a few for Danish and Norwegian (including horrible phrase CDs), I don't know about Icelandic (other than Talk now!) or Faroese (probably nothing, or close to nothing, but we have an old cassette course at the library). Maybe there is something for Dutch.

This means that you probably won't find any decent Swedish-based course (as in book(s)+ audio) for any other Germanic language than English or German (nowadays), but you can find textbooks with minimal audio content (even just guidelines) for Danish/Norwegian, the typical CD phrasebooks by Univerb for several languages (including intermediate levels), "Talk now!" for just about any language (111 hits HERE).

I know better than to spend (=waste) money on material I won't find useful, and instead get a course/program that I like. Usually it's written in English. And available through major online bookstores in Sweden. If I wanted anything decent in Swedish (at all), I probably won't find much (Who should write it, and who would buy it?), and if I wanted a course in a Germanic language - written in something else than Sw/Da/No/English - I'd have to look to other sources.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version