Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 57 of 131
05 June 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I just noticed continuing reading a text today that the words i'd looked up before seem to have disappeared from the document. I just "learned" them. My other texts seem to be this way, too. I also noticed that my "phrases" were also stored as individual words when i went to learn the flashcards. I don't remember it being this way before, it saved the words i'd looked up and (i think) phrases were only saved as phrases, not the individual words. Is that how it's supposed to be?

I've really been enjoying this so far, thank you so much!

Also, for something like Verbix, i'm pretty sure you could create a single program to fetch the data, but since each language has a different set of tenses i don't know if you'd need to pass some parameters to the program for it to be able to pull the correct data. I guess i'm really not the best person to talk to about it, but it seems like if you can get something working for one language it wouldn't be that difficult to support others, too. And of course there's always the possibility of having users manually enter the data in ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4081 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 58 of 131
05 June 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I just noticed continuing reading a text today that the words i'd looked up
before seem to have disappeared from the document. I just "learned" them. My other texts
seem to be this way, too. I also noticed that my "phrases" were also stored as individual
words when i went to learn the flashcards. I don't remember it being this way before, it
saved the words i'd looked up and (i think) phrases were only saved as phrases, not the
individual words. Is that how it's supposed to be?

The list of words in the document sidebar are the words you've translated *this session*,
and doesn't include words from previous sessions. I should probably change this to always
remember the words attached to the document as I agree it's confusing.

Don't worry about losing words though, they will still be in the system, and you can see
them all within the Words tab.

About the phrases - if you translate a single word, then expand it to make a phrase, the
phrase will overwrite the single word. But if in your next reading session you translate
the same single word again, it will create a new card. Again, I can see that this is
confusing. I need to create a better way to deal with these cases.

Again, thanks for the feedback, it's very useful!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 131
05 June 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
WOW I checked which languages are available now and I'm impressed :)
however, I think you should do like wikipedia and capitalize all language names on the list. as it is, it looks like some languages are respected more than others, but English and Deutsch would also stand out if almost everything else was written in small letters (as it should be). I think wikipedia's solution is the best:)

Edited by Serpent on 05 June 2013 at 10:19pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 60 of 131
06 June 2013 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
SteveRidout wrote:

The list of words in the document sidebar are the words you've translated *this session*,
and doesn't include words from previous sessions. I should probably change this to always
remember the words attached to the document as I agree it's confusing.

Don't worry about losing words though, they will still be in the system, and you can see
them all within the Words tab.

I wasn't worried so much about losing words (i'd just studied them so i knew that wasn't the case), i was just confused because it looked like i hadn't studied that page yet. When does a session end? I thought i remembered words still being highlighted when leaving a text and coming back to it, but maybe i'm making that up. It might also be nice for words you've looked up before to be underlined or marked somehow, it might make you pay special attention to it. I realize it won't quite work on touch-screen devices, but being able to hover over it and see your previous definition might be nice too. Or simply clicking on it would show it to you, but without adding the word to the database again (unless you wanted to add another sentence to provide a different context for the word).

SteveRidout wrote:

About the phrases - if you translate a single word, then expand it to make a phrase, the
phrase will overwrite the single word. But if in your next reading session you translate
the same single word again, it will create a new card. Again, I can see that this is
confusing. I need to create a better way to deal with these cases.

I think that's how it should be, i was just confused because i'd translated the phrase "al caire" and in my cards i had "al caire", "al", and "caire". There were one or two other cards that did that, too. Maybe it was something i did on my part, i'll see if it happens again when i study today :) It's not a huge issue, though, since it's so quick and easy just to delete the cards you don't want. And maybe it was me, maybe i clicked on them separately, exited the document, and changed them when i went back in? Maybe the cards were created and not deleted when i changed them to include the whole phrase. I can't remember now.

EDIT: Ok, i think i figured what it is. It seems like it's adding words even when i unclick them. So if i click a word once, it adds that word. If i add the word beside it, it combines the words. But if i unclick those two words they're still stored in the word list. Any word that you unclick still gets stored into the word list.

Edited by Crush on 07 June 2013 at 8:05am

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4081 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 61 of 131
10 June 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I think you should do like wikipedia and capitalize all language names on the list. as it is, it looks like
some languages are respected more than others, but English and Deutsch would also stand out if almost
everything else was written in small letters (as it should be). I think wikipedia's solution is the best:)

Thanks, I've updated these, they'll be visible in the next release, probably later this week.

Crush wrote:

I wasn't worried so much about losing words (i'd just studied them so i knew that wasn't the case), i was just
confused because it looked like i hadn't studied that page yet. When does a session end? I thought i remembered
words still being highlighted when leaving a text and coming back to it, but maybe i'm making that up. It might
also be nice for words you've looked up before to be underlined or marked somehow, it might make you pay
special attention to it. I realize it won't quite work on touch-screen devices, but being able to hover over it
and see your previous definition might be nice too. Or simply clicking on it would show it to you, but without
adding the word to the database again (unless you wanted to add another sentence to provide a different context
for the word).

For the purposes of the word list in the reader page, a session ends when you hit refresh in your browser to
reload the webapp. Note that you can navigate the site and read different books without triggering a new
session, so the list may even contain words from different books. I'll think about this and change the behavior
to be more intuitive.

The highlighted words never remain, even if you turn to the next page and then go back they won't be there. I
always unhighlight the words after translating since I prefer to read the original word again, so I haven't
been bothered by this behavior. I'll think about adding an optional mode to add marks to the words you've
looked up before, it's not high on my priorities at the moment though.

Crush wrote:

EDIT: Ok, i think i figured what it is. It seems like it's adding words even when i unclick them. So if i click
a word once, it adds that word. If i add the word beside it, it combines the words. But if i unclick those two
words they're still stored in the word list. Any word that you unclick still gets stored into the word list.

This is intentional, I unclick words all the time just to read the original again, and I still want to review
them all later. Note that you can delete words from the reader page by opening the sidebar and clicking the
"Words" tab, select the words you want to delete and click "Delete".

When you translate a single word which is a part of a phrase you already have in your list, it gets added
anyway - I'll think of a nicer way to deal with this in future.

Note: If you have issues which seem too technical or off topic for this forum, you are very welcome to use my
feedback page here: https://readlang.uservoice.com/

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 62 of 131
12 June 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Ok, that makes sense. I was suggesting to show the word for a second or two and then if you wanted to review it hovering over the word to have a popup box show it's definition, but this takes care of that. Previously i thought that unhighlighting a word word remove it from the list.

Another thing i've found which really i have no idea what could be done to change is that a lot of times the sample sentences are incredibly long. I don't know if there'd be a convenient way to quickly select the part of the sentence you want to use in the flashcard. Editing the flashcard is fine, i just don't know if there might be a faster and more convenient way to go about it, like maybe instead of clicking on the edit button being able to double click on the flashcard, change it how you want, and clicking outside of the flashcard would save it. It's just an idea, right now i've been editing most flashcards to shorten the sample sentences and remove things like d' and l' attached to the front of words.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 63 of 131
19 June 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Just wanted to comment that i've liked the changes you've made over the past few days :)

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4081 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 

Message 64 of 131
19 June 2013 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 

And thanks also for the feedback on the long sentence lengths, I'll bear that in mind.

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version