Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 1 of 79
11 March 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, have you seen the last video of Benny in his Egyptian Arabic mission? For those who don't know, he spent 3 months studying hard Arabic in Brazil (mostly with books and Skype lessons), then he went to Egypt and spent another 2/3 months traveling there and trying to live the real Egyptian experience. He's been to a lot of places like Cairo, Aswa, Alexandria, etc., and some days ago he posted the last video of his stay in Egypt (as far as I understood).

Here it is!

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 11 March 2013 at 4:00am

7 persons have voted this message useful

tiger
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 79
15 March 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Anybody knows what his new mission is? I subscribed too late I guess. :(
1 person has voted this message useful

tiger
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 79
19 March 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Okay. So the next mission is Polish in 5 hours. I'm going to unsubscribe now, because this is just plain ridiculous. Of course he's not aiming for the magical F word now, but this is something most of us wouldn't probably even mention on our blogs. And he's having it for his NEXT BIG MISSION?

I liked his blog, not because of his language missions which are pretty easy to mimic, because reaching a B1 level in 3 months is something anyone of us could do with a little Pimsleur, FSI and Assimil. But to read all the interesting articles, but he really stoop low now. Wake me up next year when he's "fluent" in gazillion languages. :(
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 79
19 March 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
He's having a whole series of minimissions, what's wrong with that? Variety is the spice of life.
5 persons have voted this message useful

MultipackCan
Ireland
Joined 4072 days ago

20 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 6 of 79
19 March 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
I agree that the new challenge is a little disappointing, but it'll still make for some
pretty interesting short videos although perhaps not great reading. I think he's taken
it on for a mixture of reasons.

1. He has taken on a full time job in Berlin, so he doesn't have the time to prepare
for a new mission like he has had previously.

2. As said above, he's probably trying to mix it up.

3. He's probably trying to save some money up, which means that one of his next
missions (perhaps later this year) could finally be to take on Russian or Japanese.
He's spoken about wanting to do these two for years but has been putting it off because
he wants to live in Moscow/Tokyo when he finally gets around to doing these languages,
which will of course be difficult on the budget of a blogger.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 79
19 March 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Besides he also has some 10 existing languages to keep up with. 11 maybe? And revitalising his German of course.

Edited by tarvos on 19 March 2013 at 1:34pm

MultipackCan
Ireland
Joined 4072 days ago

20 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 8 of 79
19 March 2013 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
He's dropped languages previously though, Tagalog and Hungarian I think. Probably a
couple of others as well. I haven't been following him for that long. But he is trying to
make a living out of this so giving up language learning won't really serve him very well
:p

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version