Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 81 of 230
18 June 2013 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Oh, I am following a couple of pieces of advice: As I think I mentioned already I will later on (a few months) begin "Chinese Breeze" (after I finish read Basic Written Chinese which is a very gentle introduction to reading/writing Chinese), so as to start developing the habit of reading characters and recognizing words in a system that does not use the space bar.

I will also follow Irrationale's advice and learn words from my dictionary, in order to pick up a bunch of high-frequency words that are NOT in BSP or NPCR. I have Tuttle's Learners Chinese, which claims to include 4000 high-frequency terms including all terms required by the HSK. I will use that, but perhaps also buy a frequency dictionary as a complement.

The work-load to come is absolutely confounding.
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 82 of 230
18 June 2013 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 20

Cycle One (Lessons 1-6)

Book 1 Lesson 1 New Practical Chinese Reader

Note: Obviously it was ridiculously simple. Knew all the words, all the characters, all the "grammar" (there was none!), etc., etc. Nevertheless, it was a good review of pronunciation (never hurts to do some of the basics again).

This maybe one of the only if not the only lesson I complete in a day!

Edited by outcast on 18 June 2013 at 5:28pm

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 83 of 230
18 June 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
A short word on the pronunciation and the recordings, comparing NPCR vs. BSC:

This is a good example of why it is good to generally do at least two courses in a language. The Basic Spoken Chinese pronunciation practice lessons are far more extensive than New Practical Chinese Reader, not only in the amount of recordings, but provide far more detailed explanations of how to make the sounds (even pictures of mouth position), and lots of explanation on the tones, sandhi, neutral tone, etc. I am glad I learned pronunciation through BSC.

On the other hand, while the pronunciation recordings in Basic Spoken Chinese were good to excellent, sometimes the dialogues in the main lessons sound a bit distant, on top of the fact the speakers talk FAST (or at least fast for beginners). These two things are not deal breakers at all because it is still quite hearable in ALL dialogues, but perhaps the recordings of the dialogues could have been made with better sound fidelity (the audio for the "break-down" of each dialogue is always excellent quality though!). New Practical Chinese recordings (so far, and it is a small sample), are VERY, VERY CLEAR, not only the audio is superb in quality, the speakers have very clear output.

The down side is that there seems to be no recording pause when its time to repeat the phrases, so one must manually pause. Also, it's hard to tell what sections of the book require or have recordings (in Basic Spoken Chinese they have a small but quite thoughtful attention to detail: all sections with recordings are flagged with a gold-colored CD next to them!). That said, it is not a deal breaker, but again, all those observations highlight that nothing is perfect, but many things TOGETHER can fill each other's imperfections for a more complete learning experience.

Edited by outcast on 18 June 2013 at 5:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 84 of 230
20 June 2013 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 21

Cycle One (Lessons 1-6)

Book 1 Lesson 2 New Practical Chinese Reader

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 85 of 230
22 June 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Weekly Progress Entry 14

Ok so I was rolling along this week, but due to outside circumstances AND some over-
zealous studying early in the week staying up very late, I have had very little sleep
last few days. This caught up to me Friday, when middle of the day I had a difficult
time staying concentrated why driving a very short distance to a store. I was somewhat
ahead in my weekly goals so I decided to just rest yesterday, no studying, and I slept
over 11 hours. Feel much better today and will get another good night sleep.

I am planning some big life-style changes and sacrifices for the second half of the
year in order to reach C1 in German and French, my Chinese plans are not affected by
this. I will by terse wit this WPE:

I am pretty much done with Unit 5 Basic Spoken Chinese, probably either today or
tomorrow, which is within goal. There was quite a bit of grammar in this Unit and I am
still trying to internalize it but the drills and transformation exercises went well
and I practiced them several times.

I have started New Practical Chinese. First lessons are a breeze, but I like having to
practice pronunciation again, and listening to different Chinese speakers. I am taking
advantage of the easy lessons to learn the vocabulary the lessons introduce in the
pronunciation drills (why not): stuff like cola, hamburger, grandpa, drinks, to pull,
etc. I think it will be good to do NPCR to pick up extra vocabulary, get more speaking
practice, and to "review" grammar points from another source instead of re-reading BSC
(which I will actually do, when I "review" this entire course over again, when I do the
Writing/Reading Lessons of the course, more on that in another entry)*.

I will start my first tutor lesson this week, maybe I will do two of them thanks to a
good opportunity that presented itself: Right now I have free German tutoring lessons
(long story), at least for the entire summer. That means I can use the money from this
to do an extra Mandarin session. I will no doubt take advantage of that.

The characters are doing well, I was ripping through them early this week, I could have
beaten sunday's deadline by several days, but then the lack of sleep and the rest
slowed me down and did not learn any new characters last couple of days. Still, I only
need to learn about 20 more between today and tomorrow and still get to 100.

Next week, well obviously my goals are:

1. Begin Unit 6 Basic Spoken Chinese
2. Continue First cycle Lessons 1-6 New Practical Chinese Reader
3. Begin my first tutoring sessions
4. Begin the next 100 set of characters on the way to 900 (!!)

Till the next WPE on 6.28.2013!

* Basic Written Chinese is a parallel course to Basic Spoken Chinese's lessons. It
focuses on characters, reading, and writing. I thought about doing the lessons
simultaneously but then decided against it to ease the load. I will do the Written book
after I finish the Basic Spoken Course. It will be an easy intro into reading Chinese,
and at the same time I will be able to review both characters and all the Units and
Lessons of the spoken course. Win-win.

Edited by outcast on 22 June 2013 at 7:24pm

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 86 of 230
24 June 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 22

Cycle One (Lessons 1-6)

Book 1 Lesson 3 New Practical Chinese Reader

Note: between 6/20/13 and 6/22/13 I did almost no work in languages, due to external reasons. Returned to "duty" yesterday.

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 87 of 230
25 June 2013 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 23

Unit 5 Lesson 4 Basic Spoken Chinese

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 88 of 230
26 June 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Major Milestone 4 and 5

Ok, so I have finished Unit 5 of Kubler's Basic Spoken Chinese, which means I am half
through the book. I have decided before going on to Unit 6 to do a fairly involved
review of the first five units. There is so much information on word usage, grammar,
and culture to assimilate. I may have only absorved 30-40% of it all (though probably
75% of the grammar). Nevertheless, just reviewing Unit 1 today I had forgotten things
like the word order of 也, 都, 很 in a sentence, about how monosyllabic stative
verbs/adjectives can be placed before any noun to form a nominal phrase, etc. The book
has tons of useful information, but it will take time to absorb it all. So it is a good
idea that I review now while the Units are still somewhat fresh in my mind: and this
time the information will stick longer than the first (just the nature of memory).

The other milestone is the first meeting with my tutor. It was great and went as
expected: I could not recall so many of the vocabulary terms I had learned (to be fair,
the meeting was early in the morning, and I had not opened a language book in over 3
days), so I was quite "cold" at the time. But I did get a few things right and very
strenuously put a few Chinese sentences together. But I am now studying overtime to be
ready for the next session. But again, she was blown away by my pronunciation, even
going as far as saying I had a "gift": she had never heard a beginner student make
Mandarin sounds so well. I told her the secret is crazy amounts of practice, practice
over a period of weeks, lots of repetition, a good ear (which I do admit to have), and
having taken the time to study IPA, and the basics of phonology and the anatomy of the
human mouth.

It's clear it will be a long haul with Mandarin, but that was not unexpected. And I'm
ready for it.

Edited by outcast on 04 August 2013 at 3:33am

This discussion contains 230 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version