Diglot
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4355 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 1 of 16
16 March 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Hello, please I wanna ask if somebody here has some experiences with direct method. I am thinking about direct method for my German cause I am really desperate. I really need to start my German and I think this could be good way. Here are some sample videos and one description. But I am really afraid of wasting money cause in my city this method offers only one school and only one times per week for 100min. So what do you think ? :-p

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/knowledge-database/direct- method

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzCwk8J1lME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnGKWxQnL8
1 person has voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5914 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 16
16 March 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I watched (most of) the videos. They were interesting. They seemed focused and intense and logical. (Of course they were. Why would an instructor put a boring video on the web?) The videos make the lessons look good, possibly worth your money.

The description on the the web site didn't say much, really. But it did confirm the one thing that I noticed in the videos. It looks like there is no emphasis on reading or writing.

Can you tell us your goals for learning German? Also, how much time do you have?

If you need conversation skills in 3 weeks because you are definitely moving there then this may be perfect for you. However if you have plenty of time and want to learn to read old German novels then it probably isn't right for you.

There is plenty of free material on the web these days. Also, as I have said before, use your local library if possible. There are several posts around here regarding the best German resources (some totally free) - you can search them easily. Only after you are sure that this class will meet your actual goals should you pay out your money.

:wq!

AML
United States
Joined 6637 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 3 of 16
16 March 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
My wife takes classes because she won't study on her own otherwise. There is nothing wrong with that. If you won't study, then by all means take classes. This German class you've shown us looks much better than the typical class where they speak mostly in your native language (L1).

I have personal experience with direct method type of classes (even though they weren't called "direct method"), and they are far superior to classes based in L1 that mostly just make you do L2 grammar exercises.

That said, if you can learn well by studying on your own, then skip taking classes and save yourself some money. Or spend that money on German books and movies instead.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 16
17 March 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
AML wrote:
Or spend that money on German books and movies instead.
and audiobooks:)

hooky
Diglot
Joined 4355 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes

Message 5 of 16
17 March 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
I am really really desperate :( I need to improve my German from lvl A1-A2 to B1-B2 in half year. I have a big problem with vocabulary. I really dont know how to learn words with genders it is impossible for me :-/ So I hoped this method could help me. I have many graded books with audio, I can borrow few bilingual books but I hoped this method could help me with "new words genders problem" I think I will try to read more and maybe onetime I will overcome this problem with genders. :-/ but thx :)

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4094 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 6 of 16
17 March 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
hooky wrote:
I have a big problem with vocabulary.

This is my problem, I enjoy learning and applying grammar rules and tricks that apply
generally, but I'm pretty bad at learning lots of unrelated items by rote. It's why I
liked Maths and Physics in school and hated Biology, which seemed like learning a bunch
of words for things instead of understanding them (more a fault of the teaching method
than the subject actually).

Anyway, for just learning a bunch of things, like vocabularly, and genders, I
definitely recommend using a Spaced Repetition System, the most popular one being Anki.
But on it's own this isn't enough, you should couple it with consuming as much content
as you can via reading, listening, watching TV and films, etc. For me this approach is
really working.

Marski
Diglot
Macedonia
Joined 4667 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Macedonian*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 16
17 March 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Do you use Anki? To learn the gender, when you enter the words into Anki, you can make
them a different color (for example, color masculine nouns blue, feminine red and neuter
green).
2 persons have voted this message useful

hooky
Diglot
Joined 4355 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes

Message 8 of 16
17 March 2013 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
I have something similar to anki but it doesnt help me. I used this learning method for English and it really doesnt help me :-/ I tried to use Spaced Repetition System or something similar but it works only for short time period after few weeks I will forgot 95% :-/ I dont know how to learn some words and remember them like in English.
And in German I have a problem with conjugation that is the worst thing ever :-D And that is next thing what I dont know how to learn. So I hoped that Direct method can help me :) Maybe I have to read 100 books and it will be better :)

Edited by hooky on 17 March 2013 at 1:56pm

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version