16 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 16
18 March 2013 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
When did you try it for English? You already speak it, and it's indeed difficult to learn the rare words that you don't see much. The words you need for B1 and even B2 are quite common, so if you use native materials you'll see them a lot. 100 books should help indeed, or even 50. See the super challenge:)
1 person has voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5914 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 10 of 16
18 March 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
hooky wrote:
... I have a big problem with vocabulary. I really dont know how to learn words with genders it is impossible for me :-/ So I hoped this method could help me...

The videos that you posted didn't seem to stress this sort of thing. (Unless I missed it?) They were more like word substitution. Use a different verb in this sentence pattern. Now use a different noun in this sentence pattern. It seems to me like a Michel Thomas kind of approach. And one of the biggest critiques of MT is the lack of vocabulary.

I, too, would urge you to try Anki. It isn't a regular "old style" flashcard system. It is an SRS type of system, specifically made to help you remember long term, not just short term.

One last thing, there are some "usual" ground rules for German word genders. Sadly, I don't know them because my German is so weak. Maybe someone here could tell us the shortcuts, just to get started?

:wq!

hooky
Diglot
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4355 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 11 of 16
18 March 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Probably I use Anki bad cause if I learn 100 words with Anki and after one month I will remember about 10 :-/ I can use this method for short-term but I dont know how to use this method for long-term :-/

Serpent thank you too :) I will think about super challenge but it would be better if I can use graded reader books :-D

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5372 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 12 of 16
18 March 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
There's a couple of shared anki decks with color-coded genders here.

I find it (I'm using the bigger one) quite helpful, but I still have to make quite an effort to try to imprint them in my memory.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5110 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 13 of 16
18 March 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
hooky wrote:
Probably I use Anki bad cause if I learn 100 words with Anki and after one month I will remember about 10 :-/ I can use this method for short-term but I dont know how to use this method for long-term :-/

Anki or another way to memorize words: That's the whole point of the matter, that you tend to forget. It is the most natural thing of the world. When you see a word for the first time you make a conscious effort to keep it in mind, that's the first step: If it would be the only step we would have a much easier time learning anything :-) So of course you must see the word again, maybe after an hour, or two, or a day, and do the same thing again, and the next day, and then after some days, and then after some weeks, and so on. That's the whole SRS thing in a nutshell. If you don't use Anki (I don't) then you are the one who is responsible for the space, and the repetitions, and this is better, on the one hand, because you are the one who knows if you want to see a word again, and more difficult, on the other hand, because you are the one who is in charge and must take the responsibility for what you do. Waiting too long will let the words fade away too much, and then you have what you describe.
Sorry if what I am saying sounds too simple or trivial, but sometimes people have a wrong idea about these matters.
About genders: Think about it this way: They are just part of the words. Auto is nothing, what it is is "ein schönes, neues Auto. Das schöne, neue Auto gefällt mir sehr gut. It is not ein schöner Auto, not eine schöne gute Auto, it is ein schönes neues Auto. Auto alone is not enough information, if you have lists or sources in general which don't provide the needed information get better sources and start learning every single new noun this way, and there should not be problems. Of course, single words keep being difficult, against our own intuition, whatever, but with time things get better. Don't learn any noun without this information. And there are rules about certain endings you can study, what is your main source at the moment? some school textbook? Shouldn't you learn about these things, then? Apply the rules to the words whenever a words occurs, the rule alone is good for little or nothing, heit means feminin, Gelegenheit is a noun, and indeed, it is die Gelegenheit, eine gute Gelegenheit, diese Gelegenheit lass ich mir nicht entgehen. Feminin is part of Gelegenheit, there is no Gelegenheit without this feature.
About declinations and conjugations: It is not difficult. In your native language you have the same concept. From what you say it sounds like you need a better source, something that gives you an easy overview. Talking about adding an ending to a stem and so on is nothing, it is only the very first step, what you have are words, nothing else. The rules are a help, the real thing are the actual words. Tell me about the rules you have learned for gehen, fine, but there is only ich gehe, du gehst, er geht, wir gehen, ihr geht, sie gehen. The same apllies for nouns and pronouns, rules for shortening the stem of "euer" or similar are a description, but what you have is "euer Vater, eure Mutter, euer Kind", and so on. Pronouns are so common that you have to know them on the fly, without applying any rule, so if necessary get a table, drill it in combination with words until you master it. Not until you have heard about it.

Sorry for writing this is such an informal style, it is well meant, because you wrote you are desperate, and if I wait until I feel like writing something elaborate, it may never happen. So I hope this can be useful, the most important thing is that you stop this attitude" I can't learn words, I can't do conjugations, I can't ..., you can.

hooky
Diglot
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4355 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 14 of 16
18 March 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for you message :)

My main source will be books and audio books. I have one textbook with grammar and that is all at this moment. Than I hope I will be able to speak on skype.
I think I will read everyday few pages and than I will put all new words into my Anki than I will repeat them in some period. I think this method has to work :-D
And my problem with endings is that I have to think what I should to use. I mean what of these : der Vater, des Vaters, dem Vater or den Vater . That is the worst think :-D and I am really glad I dont need to learn Czech cause we have 3 more options :-/ this is what I wanted to use Direct method. Cause I dont need to think with this method :-/

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5110 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 15 of 16
18 March 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
hooky wrote:
Thank you for you message :)

My main source will be books and audio books. I have one textbook with grammar and that is all at this moment. Than I hope I will be able to speak on skype.
I think I will read everyday few pages and than I will put all new words into my Anki than I will repeat them in some period. I think this method has to work :-D
And my problem with endings is that I have to think what I should to use. I mean what of these : der Vater, des Vaters, dem Vater or den Vater . That is the worst think :-D and I am really glad I dont need to learn Czech cause we have 3 more options :-/ this is what I wanted to use Direct method. Cause I dont need to think with this method :-/

Don't put every new word into Anki, at your level you need the basic words, not any random word.
Books and audiobooks are good, of course, but they will work much better and more effective if you focus on your problems first and only then get a lot of exposure. (If time does not matter, then ignore this; if it matters like you said before, then don't).
Regarding the cases: At first you can have a look at what I wrote some time ago here: first answer in thread. It is really based on experience and not wild guessing that mastering some examples first works much faster than working things out from a lot of input. In the end you want both: Concrete work and lots of input, but doing the work at first speeds things up.

What case to chose? Nominative as the case of the subject, who does it, of a sentence should not be a problem. Genitives are rare and getting rarer, dative is the indirect object, to whom do you give it, and the accusative is the direct object, whom did you kiss? I kissed my frog. This scheme is very simple and can easily be drilled und understood.
In addition, a lot depends on the verb of a sentence: helfen alone is nothing, but "Ich helfe wem? Dativ dir meinem Vater meiner Mutter meinem Schwein", that's it. In other words helfen is not "ich helfe dich", it is "ich helfe dir". This information is absolutely necessary for any verb. "Ich liebe dich" makes a girl happy, "Ich liebe dir oder deiner" makes her grin. Some verbs need even more information: Ich gebe wem? dir was? einen Eimer, eine Gabel, ein Buch. Other verbs don't take objects at all: Ich schlafe. Every new verb must be learned in combination with this information, geben is nothing, jemandem(dat.) etwas(acc.) geben, that's fine.

Well, good luck!

huyena2
Vietnam
Joined 4253 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: English

Message 16 of 16
20 March 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
Marski wrote:
Do you use Anki? To learn the gender, when you enter the words into
Anki, you can make
them a different color (for example, color masculine nouns blue, feminine red and
neuter
green).

I'm learning Spanish and also using colors to distinguish genders. However, instead of
using different colors for typos, I use color for pictures with the help of color
filter on Google Image. To be more specific, I find pictures that have blue as a
dominant color to illustrate masculine words and red for feminine ones. Yet I haven't
think of green for neutral ones.

FYI, I use Images for memorizing words.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version