49 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 49
29 March 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I can practically make all the sounds I can distinguish. I do not always make them
properly in context, though, which is two, but most individual phonemes are not
problematic.

That is question two: how can you identify how phonemes are used in the prosodic context
of a language. How can you teach awareness of prosody?

Edited by tarvos on 29 March 2013 at 3:59pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4487 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 10 of 49
29 March 2013 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
LaughingChimp wrote:
I would love to see a comparison between those who are not allowed
to see the language written or take notes before they reach some basic level and those
who are. It could be even more interesting if you could find some illiterate people and
compare illiterate people taught using audio only, literate people taught using audio
only and people who are allowed to use texts.

I lived in Burkina Faso for a little while and I met a lot of illiterate people who spoke
French as a second language and I assure you their accent was no better...

Are you assuming that if a student used Michel Thomas or Pimsleur only, at the beginning,
he would have a better accent?

They probably learn the accent from each other.

It seems that illiterate people listen to new words in a different way than literate people do (http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/121/6/1053.short), so I thought it could be interesting to investigate if it makes a difference.
5 persons have voted this message useful

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4522 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 49
29 March 2013 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Normally, when scientists look at accents in adults over the long term, they simply go out and find people who've been immersed for 10 years (or whatever period of time). But there's an obvious problem with this: How do you find people who are working really hard to blend in, and who no longer have a discernible accent?

Easy. You do your initial identification of potential subjects from something like citizenship application records (I would say immigration records because that's a wider field; but since you included a "trying to assimilate" qualifier, I think that people applying for citizenship is probably a better filter for that). Or, if you can't get access to those records, just go to citizen swearing in ceremonies and try to recruit all of the new citizens.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 12 of 49
31 March 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
PillowRock wrote:
You do your initial identification of potential subjects from something
like citizenship application records

We all know that's not possible.

PillowRock wrote:
Or, if you can't get access to those records, just go to citizen
swearing in ceremonies and try to recruit all of the new citizens.

Ok... You first.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5348 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 13 of 49
02 April 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Not an experiment, but I'd quite like to see some research on the correlation between good accents and musical or other abilities and/or aptitudes:

recognise notes
produce/sing notes
distinguish between different instruments
recognise well known tunes or compositions
understand the lyrics in pop songs
dancing ability
march in step/time

I think it would be quite easy, as I don't think you would actually need to measure the abilities, it could all be done as self assessment.

The main reason for my interest is, I expect the results would give me a good justification for never bothering trying to learn a good accent ever again.
3 persons have voted this message useful

maucca
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4439 days ago

33 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French

Message 14 of 49
02 April 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
I don't recognize notes at all (unless they're printed on paper), my singing horrifies even myself, and I have no dancing ability either. But I think I may safely say, without bragging, that both my English and French accents are relatively good, especially considering how few opportunities I've had to speak them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! ;)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 49
02 April 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
I expect the results would give me a good justification for never bothering trying to learn a good accent ever again.

It would be nice to have some research yielding insight about the kinds of things that help people improve, not criteria that exclude them.

Anyone wishing to improve should be able to rely on a set of proven techniques and methods that, in conjunction or in isolation, are helpful rather than discouraging.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 49
03 April 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Research project:

Can a trained phonetician (or whatever the relevant profession name is) make lasting changes in the pronunciation of a language learner after one hour of one-to-one instruction?

Reference groups:

people who do pronunciation exercises in a standard classroom setting

people who watch TV in their target language for 5 hours or more daily

People who are quite satisfied with their current level and who don't do anything to change it

Edited by Iversen on 03 April 2013 at 11:04am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version