Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4942 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 1 of 10
03 April 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
My extensive reading speed in Thai after 4 years of engagement with the language is 110 words per minute (details below). What's your's? (I'm particularly interested in reading speeds in languages with a non-latin script, but any other data point is welcome…)

Doing stats for my TAC 2013 log, I've just estimated my reading speed in Thai when reading extensively. Quick and dirty. Here's my calculation: The book I'm currently reading has 18.5 words per full line (I counted two lines, 17 and 20 words), 24 lines per page. I adjust that product by 0.7 to account for the fact that many lines are not full. From several measurements during the last week I know that I need a bit under 3 minutes per page when reading full chapters. Comes out at about 110 words per minute (wpm).

Here's an overview of reading speeds from a random website (Forbes), sanity-checked with figures on wikipedia:
Third-grade students = 150 wpm
Eight grade students = 250 wpm
Average college student = 450 wpm
[...]
Average adult: 300 wpm

Compared to the 300 wpm given for an average adult, 110 wpm sucks… but that's the way it is. What's your reading speed or related experience?
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4333 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 10
03 April 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
I found Paul Nation's lecture on reading fluency interesting.
When reading for pleasure and full comprehension, I read at about 250 wpm in German and English and at about 150 wpm in Norwegian. I can read a lot faster (up to 1000 wpm in English), but only for getting an overview over an article.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 10
03 April 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
About 30 pages per hour in French, sometimes a bit more. Assuming 250 words per page (which is actually pretty accurate for French paperbacks), that works out to 125 words per minute. I usually read about 60 to 100 pages per hour in English, though I can go higher for certain kinds of books.

I don't find my French reading speed discouraging at all. In fact, I'm a little bit amazed that I can read for pleasure in another language without a dictionary, and a 50% loss in reading speed seems a small price to pay. Plus, native speech only averages 150–170 words per minute, so there's really great skills transfer between reading and listening at this speed.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 10
03 April 2013 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I managed 400 pages of Swedish in 3-4 hours once, at 4 months of study (bizarre
experience, by the way). I routinely read books in my five best languages (no idea about
my Russian as I haven't tried, put simply) at speeds of over 100 pages an hour. I have no
idea, but I think that for most English books I manage a little over 100 pages an hour on
average. I can get fairly close to this in French and Swedish.

I probably could read faster if my eyes would work together better.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 10
03 April 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
The pace I can sustain for hours is between 350 wpm and 500 wpm in English and German, depending on the difficulty of the text and how alert I am. Reading speed tests gave me close to perfect retention, but that's probably because I know how to search for the kind of information that's likely to be asked in the comprehension quiz ...

Spanish and French are much slower, maybe around 150wpm and 100wpm?
In Japanese I'm around 200 characters per minute, which would roughly make a bit less than 100wpm.

I hope I'll be able to read at talking speed in the latter languages sooner or later.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 10
03 April 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
As long as I understand the content: two pages per minute (Swedish/English), up to three pages per minute if it's an "easy" text. At least one page per minute in German and Spanish, slightly slower for French and Russian. (It was ages since I read anything in Fr/Ru)

Probably a lot faster for Danish/Norwegian (almost at the speed of Swedish/English).

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4548 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 10
04 April 2013 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
About 188 Japanese characters per minute in a text on a subject I'm more or less familiar
with. 130 Germans words per minute in a newspaper article on a subject that you pretty
much can't avoid if you read German language news- criticisms of Angela Merkel from
Mediterranean countries.

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4412 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 10
04 April 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
This is rather tough for me to answer for the time being... In English, I would assume I'm about average, never paid
much attention, but I don't think I would have any trouble clearing a page per minute, give or take.

However, my Japanese reading is far below my speaking ability. Just for reference, I have a knowledge of about 300
or so Kanji, and with some matters, for instance, Facebook posts, I can read quite fast. But I also have a book about
Hiroshima Ken which I like to read, and it goes into many detail that I still have no concept of. With a dictionary, it
may be an hour before Im able to understand the page, and turn it. and I certainly wont retain the readings of all the
new kanji.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version