Diglot
Norway
Joined 4724 days ago

34 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English

Message 9 of 33
15 April 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Until I see the app "First 30000 words in the target language", I am not going to use these even for free

There are the "Extreme" series courses in English, French, German and Spanish for SuperMemo, that cover around 25,000 words, a thousand idioms, a bunch of grammar and irregular verb exercises etc. Currently you can get the Android versions of these courses for 10€ for each language on sale, as part of the promotion of SuperMemo for Android. Each series is divided into several smaller courses of around 3000 words, costing around 5€ each, so the Android offer is probably a very good deal if you like the methodology. I bought all the courses but the English one, just in case, even though I'm mostly focused on German (and a little on Spanish from time to time). Apart from the first 3000 words (which have an additional English definition on the question side), each card is structured as a monolingual definition+sentence with cloze->word. There is audio for all the definitions, words, and sentences.

Edited by Improbably on 15 April 2013 at 2:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 33
15 April 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
That sounds good, but I'm not sure there is an ipad version. A great thing for android
though.

Sure, the portability. I wouldn't take out a laptop in a tram to study.
1 person has voted this message useful

Improbably
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4724 days ago

34 posts - 87 votes 

Message 11 of 33
15 April 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
While the current low price might not be available for the iPad, the SuperMemo app has been available for iPhone/iPad for a lot longer than for Android, so I'm pretty certain those courses (and more) are available though in app purchases. :)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 33
15 April 2013 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Not sure. I looked and there were only apps for iphones and the ones I found seemed to
cover less than 25000 words. And they were soooo expensive. Like 22 euros per language.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 13 of 33
15 April 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
The app I use the most when studying languages with the iPad is GoodReader. It'll read most document formats and it's perfect for viewing or annotating pdf files, for instance. Actually, after music files, it's the app that contains the most stuff on my iPad and I'm forever having to clear or transfer some of the material I put there.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Improbably
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4724 days ago

34 posts - 87 votes 

Message 14 of 33
15 April 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Not sure. I looked and there were only apps for iphones and the ones I found seemed to
cover less than 25000 words. And they were soooo expensive. Like 22 euros per language.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/supermemo/id326593743?mt=8

According to that page, it should be available for iPad, with the courses available from within SuperMemo. But you're right, the courses are pretty expensive, at 5€ per level, and I think there are 8 levels in the vocabulary courses, so that comes to 40€ for 25,000 words/items. :( It's only on Android that you can get the whole course, including some other stuff, for 10€, which you can find on the SuperMemo world site.

Marya
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
languagewanderer.com
Joined 4202 days ago

62 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 15 of 33
18 April 2013 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
I also use Ipad while studying. I'm learning Norwegian and there aren't a lot of free apps when it comes to this
language, but I use radio TuneIn, and it's sth really great since all languages are available.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 16 of 33
18 April 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
I've just finished using a little app called Kana Touch to brush up on writing Japanese kana, and am now considering something like a Skritter subscription to move on to the real task of learning kanji. I particularly enjoy being able to pick up the tablet in spare moments and practice tracing out characters; it's far more addictive than I first expected.

Edited by Teango on 18 April 2013 at 9:58pm

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version