21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
dekaglossai
United States
youtube.com/user/dek
Joined 4193 days ago

19 posts - 59 votes 

Message 1 of 21
16 April 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
What modern Indian languages are closest to Sanskrit in the following aspects: pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary?
1 person has voted this message useful

leroc
United States
Joined 4105 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 21
16 April 2013 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
I've always heard that Latvian and Lithuanian are the closest to Sanskrit, being among the most conservative IE languages (along with Sanskrit)

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5393 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 21
16 April 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
I believe to have read that the Dardic languages are quite conservative and have preserved many archaic elements.
It is also a question of register. High-browed Hindi can be very sanskritized, while in the colloquial forms loan words and abraded words inherited from the Prakrits are more dominant.
7 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4566 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 4 of 21
16 April 2013 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
leroc wrote:
I've always heard that Latvian and Lithuanian are the closest to Sanskrit, being among the most conservative IE languages (along with Sanskrit)
This misconception has been discussed around here before.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4038 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 5 of 21
16 April 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
dekaglossai wrote:
What modern Indian languages are closest to Sanskrit in the
following aspects: pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary?

Pronunciation I'd probably say Hindi or Marathi overall, Punjabi is close in some
aspects but tends to resolve semivocalic sounds in vowels and otherwise cut out certain
clusters in order to keep words short so kshastriya > khatria, śiṣya > sikha etc.
However all north Indian languages have a ridiculous amount of vocabulary actually
developed out (and therefore recoverable if you understand how sound changes work) or
simply borrowed from earlier stages. That being said from the top of my head Bengali is
closest overall but it's not a big deal.

Grammatically and Syntactically...none are overall close, Punjabi retains some old
morphological functions like the locative, instrumental etc and Marathi retains some
stuff too but neither language you choose will be significantly different.

If you wanted to learn, I'd say go with Hindi just for the sheer amount of literature
it has. I don't know if Punjabi has much apart from oral literature and Marathi is an
enigma to me beyond some grammar, phonology and varia lexica on the page. Bengali too
is well served, though bear in mind that this is several thousand years after my time
period of expertise.
10 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 6 of 21
16 April 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Hindi and Urdu are more distant in terms of vocabulary from Sanskrit than even Malayalam is (the most Sanskritized Dravidian language), because in everyday Hindi, there is a strong Persian element to the vocabulary.

Overall, I'd say Marathi, although it lost Sanskrit nasal vowels (which are retained in other Indo-Aryan languages), and it has somewhat Dravidianized grammar.

Edited by Medulin on 16 April 2013 at 11:31pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4071 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 7 of 21
18 April 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
There is a view that mastering daughter languages is one of the ways to help master the
classical languages. In the case of Ancient Greek, it will be Modern Greek. In the case
of Latin, perhaps 1 or 2 romance languages might bring little help, but not much, for
the Romance language family has evolved so much; Latin does not rely on word order at
all.

Is there any Indic language qualified to do the job (unlike the case of Latin)? If yes,
which ones are potential candidates? Do they have a rich literary tradition?

I do not mean I would learn a modern Indic language solely for that purpose, but rather
I would choose one which as well gives my Sanskrit a discount.

Edited by Paco on 18 April 2013 at 10:39am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 21
18 April 2013 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Why not just learn Sanskrit? You're clearly more interested in it than in any modern Indian language.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version