Germany
Joined 5393 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 9 of 21
18 April 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
perhaps 1 or 2 romance languages might bring little help, but not much, for
the Romance language family has evolved so much

Hindi has evolved at least as much as the Romance languages. The complex declination and conjugations of Sanskrit gave way to a much simpler system, the sandhi and monster-compounds vanished. Greek is much more conservative in this respect.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4038 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 10 of 21
18 April 2013 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Hindi and Urdu are more distant in terms of vocabulary from
Sanskrit than even Malayalam is (the most Sanskritized Dravidian language)
because in everyday Hindi, there is a strong Persian element to the vocabulary.

Overall, I'd say Marathi, although it lost Sanskrit nasal vowels (which are retained in
other Indo-Aryan languages), and it has somewhat Dravidianized grammar.

An interesting proposition but I don't think so. There is a strong element of Persian
present, though it is dimishing (a shame to my mind) but you can't really beat the fact
that so many every day words are derived from their vs a literary gloss, which Hindi
etc also shares.

Incidentally there is an excellent resource for a broad array of Indian languages,
http://shabdkosh.com/ , which has dictionaries for a variety of languages, quotes of
the day and so on and forth.

I agree with those saying its best to just attack the classical tongue head on btw.
1 person has voted this message useful

shreypete
Pentaglot
Groupie
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5942 days ago

90 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Telugu, CzechB1, SpanishB2
Studies: GermanB2, FrenchA2, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 21
23 May 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Hindi and Urdu are more distant in terms of vocabulary from Sanskrit than even
Malayalam is (the most Sanskritized Dravidian language), because in everyday Hindi, there is a strong
Persian element to the vocabulary.

Overall, I'd say Marathi, although it lost Sanskrit nasal vowels (which are retained in other Indo-Aryan
languages), and it has somewhat Dravidianized grammar.

Actually Telugu is the most Sanskritized Dravidian language among the Dravian group. Again the Telugu
spoken in the northern part of the State has quite a few number of loanwords from Marathi and Oriya (with
the exception of the capital city, Hyderabad, where the locals have incorporated a lot of Persian/Urdu words
into their vocabulary) as opposed to Telugu spoken in the southern part of the state (more loanwords from
Kannada and Tamil.). Malayalam, Kannada, and Tulu have all adopted a bit of Sanskrit vocabulary/grammar
but not nearly as what Telugu has.

Marathi Dravidianized grammar? I'm sorry but this is just not true. There might be a few grammatical aspects
similar to those in Dravidian languages, but that is also the case with Oriya, Bengali, Assamese etc. In terms
of syntax, Dravidian languages don't really differ all that much from their Indo-Aryan counterparts. They all
follow S-O-V order. The primary differences lie in vocabulary, phonetics, and intonation.

I agree with one of the users who mentioned that each indian language (barring the North-east Indian
languages) is slightly different in that it has retained one or more components of Sanskrit than the other. With
Marathi, it's 3 different genders (like in German), with Bengali/Oriya/Assamese, it's the particle determiners,
the vocabulary, grammatical tenses etc.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 12 of 21
24 May 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
shreypete wrote:
Medulin wrote:
Hindi and Urdu are more distant in terms of vocabulary from Sanskrit than even
Malayalam is (the most Sanskritized Dravidian language), because in everyday Hindi, there is a strong
Persian element to the vocabulary.

Overall, I'd say Marathi, although it lost Sanskrit nasal vowels (which are retained in other Indo-Aryan
languages), and it has somewhat Dravidianized grammar.

Actually Telugu is the most Sanskritized Dravidian language among the Dravian group..

Not so according to the book
''The Dravidian Languages'' (Cambridge Language Surveys) written by Telugu-speaking professor Bhadriraju Krishnamurti,

He writes (on page 473):

''
Of all the four literary languages Malayalam has absorbed Sanskrit more than any other
language. It developed a special style called Manipravala, in which inflected Malayalam
words are interspersed with inflected Sanskrit words like stringing corals (pravala:
Sanskrit) and ''diamonds'' (ma.ni: Keralabhasa or Malayalam) together in a necklace.
Most literary works from Ramacaritam (twelfth century CE) to Ezutaccan’s Mahabharatam
(seventeenth century) were composed in this style, which facilitated the absorption
of an enormous amount of Sanskrit vocabulary into Malayalam.''

Edited by Medulin on 24 May 2013 at 9:03am

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 13 of 21
28 February 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Benjamin Franklin in his autobiography said that the system of learning Latin or Greek before learning the romance languages as done in schools, is ineffective. He himself suffered it and offered a solution : Learn French, Italian and Spanish. then Latin will be easier to study. Gradual ascension pf languages are more effective.

So similarly, you can learn pure Hindi and it will help you with learning Sanskrit. I bear testimony to it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 21
28 February 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Benjamin Franklin was not exactly a linguist though. And French/Italian/Spanish won't help you with Greek, only Latin. However, the real issue is that many of those who have to learn Greek and/or Latin just aren't interested. Those who care don't need to learn a modern language first.

See this thread too.

Edited by Serpent on 28 February 2014 at 9:35pm

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 15 of 21
01 March 2014 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Serpent] However, the real issue is that many of those who have to learn Greek
and/or Latin just aren't interested. Those who care don't need to learn a modern language
first.

See
this thread too.
[/QUOTE

Of course, Desire and Will surpasses all obstacles. But Latin seems difficult at first
for many, and gradually ascending up the ladder is helpful. I believe learning Latin will
help with Greek too. Also, someone does'nt have to be a linguist to comment on languages.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 21
01 March 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
There's no ladder though. One language will help, and it doesn't matter which exactly. Three are overkill.

And yeah, everyone can comment on languages. But no matter how much he's respected in other areas, this doesn't make him (significantly) more qualified to speak of languages than a random high school student struggling with Latin.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version