Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Can a Spanish speaker understand French?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4115 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 9 of 31
18 April 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Mad Max. Spoken French is almost impossible to understand for us, but
written French is easier.
4 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7010 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 10 of 31
18 April 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 

Only when I hear certain cognates, then I understand those words. Otherwise it is a
struggle. It also depends on the individual if they make an attempt to pay attention on
what is being said. I did a test with Latin on the phrase "What is truth?" for two Spanish
speakers.
The brother was adamant he did not comprehend the phrase and the sister immediately
translated to Spanish when asked. The brother realized the similarities after his sister
gave the answer.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4260 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 11 of 31
19 April 2013 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
On the HTLAL website, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are all in the "yellow spot" (80% of transparent words) while French is in the orange one (50% transparent words) so it seems normal than Spanish, Portuguese and Italian are mutually intelligible to some extent while French is not.

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4389 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 31
19 April 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
What about for Spanish/Italian as a second language speakers? Can anyone say if they experience the same
transparency of native romance language speakers?
1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4446 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 31
19 April 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
zerrubabbel wrote:
What about for Spanish/Italian as a second language speakers? Can anyone say if they experience the same
transparency of native romance language speakers?

I am answering from different perspective. I learned French in the high school. At the same time, I had command of German, English and Russian, no idea how these played into it.

I could understand spoken Italian pretty well without ever having learned it (I was able to follow normal conversation, even explanations of technical problems, I had even translated for friends when on holidays). I was responding in English or German.

I was able to decode Spanish with problems when I tried to read it and with yet bigger problem when listening to it - almost to point where it wasn't possible, or possible without long time "listening-in", tuning my ear to it. I would be probably able to survive (follow very basic instructions) in Spanish but it would leave me exhausted.

With time, I have forgotten all of French and last year re-started it. I am pretty good in passive and still pretty shaky in active skills (huge gap). Recently, I have started to learn Italian and Spanish at the same time /really at the same day with roughly same materials/. Italian comes much easier to me than Spanish, to the point where I can read books and listen to audiobooks in Italian but cannot do the same in Spanish. I have discovered comparative grammar of French / Spanish / Italian and I am working through it. It helps me to bridge the gap between Italian and Spanish. But Spanish takes much more effort on my part - about 2x as much - when studying, when decoding the spoken or written word, when learning grammar - then Italian. My study progress show this as well, almost exactly - if I need to repeat the Italian lesson 2x, I need to repeat the Spanish one 4x - 5x. For every finished Spanish lesson, I have finished 2 Italian lessons...
2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5349 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 31
19 April 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
It probably works easier the other way round. I know I could catch a few words of Spanish just from knowing French. French is famously difficult to understand. Spanish is relatively more straightforward.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 19 April 2013 at 2:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 31
20 April 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Yeah it's far more "clear". On the other hand, written French is quite easy.
A learner doesn't have the same advantage as a native speaker because they have less exposure (apart from, say, an American learning Italian and hearing a lot of Spanish), and more importantly, mutual intelligibility often relies on the words from the "periphery" - rare words, dialectal words, old meanings etc. Sometimes it's also just about Sprachgefühl, like knowing which sound shifts make sense and which don't.

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 16 of 31
20 April 2013 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
It probably works easier the other way round. I know I could catch a few words of
Spanish just from knowing French. French is famously difficult to understand. Spanish is relatively more
straightforward.

I am not aware that fellow French people can understand Spanish without having ever studied it. It is true that
Spanish is the most popular language among high school students because it has the reputation of being
easy to learn, which is quite exaggerated according to teachers (otherwise all French students studying it
would be rapidly proficient, which is far from being the case!)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version