Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Can a Spanish speaker understand French?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4067 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 25 of 31
10 May 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
I think that 1/4 of the population of Spain who also speaks catalan, understands written French a bit better than
other Spaniards, but when it comes to oral French, they are probably just as clueless.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 26 of 31
10 May 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
What's interesting is that French and Spanish are more closely
related than Italian and Spanish, so, prima facie, you'd expect them to be more
mutually intelligible.

When I was learning French at school being able to speak Italian helped. Given a
sentence with an unknown French word I could often guess which (slightly) similar
sounding Italian word might be the best fit. Not being surprised at genders (and the
close match in gender between Italian and French) plus the whole verb conjugation thing
and the similarities in grammar all made it fairly painless to pick up some
understanding of the written language and that obviously helped with the spoken
language.

However, if I watch French TV I tend to struggle: it takes me quite a while to "tune
in" and even then I only have a general sense of what is going on and I can lose the
thread very easily. If I watch Spanish TV, OTOH, I can get the gist much more easily
even though I've never studied Spanish at all.

I've heard a few of my relatives say that they don't speak Spanish but they can
understand it reasonably well. In a conversation where both parties co-operate, this
works quite well (since each side can adjust based on feedback from the partner). I've
never found that to work for French - there I'm relying on what I've learned and there
doesn't seem to be much help in the decoding process from my Italian (at least not in
the near-real-time required for a reasonable conversation).

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4738 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 27 of 31
20 May 2013 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
It is the phonology of French that renders it far more difficult to understand for
Spanish speakers.

In fact, Italian and French are significantly closer in both grammar and vocabulary than
either is with Spanish. But because Italian has a closer phonology to Spanish, immediate
comprehension (which is based on sound and not grammar rules), is made more evident.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Surtalnar
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4185 days ago

52 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, Latin, English, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 28 of 31
21 May 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
What about Portuguese? Do those people understand (and learn) French easier than Spanish people, because of the nasals?

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 29 of 31
21 May 2013 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Surtalnar wrote:
What about Portuguese? Do those people understand (and learn) French
easier than Spanish people, because of the nasals?

Portuguese speakers may find it easier to learn French (at least compared to other non-
native French speakers) as far as pronunciation goes.

That being said: they share less vocabulary with French speakers than Spanish, and to
my understanding Portuguese grammar is more closely related to Spanish grammar. I've
heard that French grammar is more related to Italian grammar (which I find similar to,
but notably different than Spanish grammar). I have not studied French grammar though,
so this maybe inaccurate. I believe Spanish/Portuguese are 85-90% similar, and
French/Portuguese are around 80%.

From personal experience: I have never heard a Portuguese speaker and a French speaker
cross-communicating. However, I have seen that intuitive and educated Portuguese
speakers can understand a relatively large amount of Spanish (provided the Spanish
speaker is cooperative). The bigger problem in that relationship, I've discovered, is
an equally well-educated Spaniard typically has far more trouble understanding the
Portuguese speaker (probably due to the increased amount of sounds in the language).

Personally, from a non-native Spanish speakers perspective this is what I've seen:
-I can understand written Portuguese enough to get main points in newspapers, and -
spoken I understand some random words and phrases.
-I can understand the basic gist of a French news article (English-French
similarities), but no real specifics. I do not understand the spoken language at all. I
understand a little more written with the Italian studies than I did before.
-Before I began learning Italian I could not read the language well, but I could pick
up the gist of conversations. I know native Spanish speakers could pick out far more of
the language than I could, as sometimes they had to repeat the Italian for me in
Spanish. Clearly they understood, and I didn't, though I could often hear the
similarity after.

Interestingly, I've had Italians tell me they can read French (but if a French man read
it they wouldn't understand it), but don't understand a word of written Spanish (but
will understand it spoken). I'm not sure if every Italian speaker feels this way, but
interesting nonetheless, especially given my own experience of not being able to read
Italian as a Spanish speaker, but being able to understand a bit of the spoken
language.

Edited by vogue on 21 May 2013 at 5:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 31
21 May 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, for me the written Portuguese/Spanish to Italian transition was a bit hard. gn/gl/che/ghe are all written differently and the schwa before s+consonant is attached to the article instead of the word itself (lo scorpione vs escorpiĆ£o/escorpiĆ³n - wow, never thought of it in these terms before!)
edit: but nevertheless as a linguist I was able to do this transition fairly naturally. lyricstraining has been helpful for that, and simply reading.

I think to anyone who already knows nasal vowels French would sound as less of a mess/gibberish, but I don't think there's any immediate usefulness for the comprehension.

Edited by Serpent on 21 May 2013 at 9:14pm

mrmap167
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4472 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, German

Message 31 of 31
22 May 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
One of my best friend is Venezuelan (with whom I converse in Spanish on occasion). I also have a friend from Andalucia, Spain at my college.

When I first started learning Spanish in 9th grade, I had the advantage since I already knew French decently. I always thought that Spanish was spoken much too fast. Fast forward to now. I understand pretty much anything in spoken and written Spanish. For my best friend and the other friend, they have NO idea what I say when I speak French (whereas be speaking to a friend from Cote D'Ivoire or Congo in my dorm or my mom on the phone). But they understand it mostly when I write out what I just said. For Spanish speakers (since French is a Romance language like Spanish): written French is fairly easy, but spoken French is really hard.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version