23 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 23
26 April 2013 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
does Arabic actually require all of your free time? is it even efficient to try so hard? there's a point where progress will be quite slow no matter how much time you spend... and it won't necessarily be even more slow if you cut down on it.
basically, instead of looking for time for Arabic, look for language learning time. decide individually which language needs that time, and try to find a productive combination of time+language+materials. like, instead of a lecture it should be okay to listen to something more simple in a different language, even music. no offence meant but it really seems like you have some optimization to do.
1 person has voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 10 of 23
26 April 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
no offense taken... In terms of optimizing language learning, I could obviously do a lot better. I agree that doing a lot of Arabic may not be the optimal way to get more fluent in many languages, but I am studying subjects in it that are inaccessible in my native language. For me, using Arabic as a tool to access that knowledge is what counts even if it is less efficient in terms of maxing out linguistic capabilities. As for learning an additional language, it is useful for the study of knowledge that I am interested in, but it is less useful, so its gets less time accordingly. I think its a matter of priorities and goals.

Edited by Talib on 26 April 2013 at 1:25am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 23
26 April 2013 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
the thing is, in the long run you won't miss out much. if you are willing to sacrifice even 2 hours a week in addition to the 30 mins a day you've already decided to set aside, at least while you are still a beginner, the results will be more noticeable. as of now you're giving the extra languages so little time that their limited usefulness changes to nothing.
do you still *study* Arabic, btw, or do you just study those secret things through it? sounds like it might be the time to reduce the time spent on Arabic itself and not the fascinating (or dangerous?) stuff.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5411 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 12 of 23
26 April 2013 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
I found it tactful that Talib only alluded to the knowledge which is only available in Arabic, seeing that this is a internet community with very different worldviews, so I don't think anyone should press the point ("dangerous...").
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 13 of 23
26 April 2013 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
I'm not pressing the point, sorry. Just got a frightening thought that dangerous people can be reading this forum too. (which now reminds me on that scene in LOTR when Gandalf reappears. "Dangerous? Chung is dangerous. Cristina is dangerous. You're surrounded by dangers, Serpent!" :o) )

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 23
26 April 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Also, to some extent your situation reminds me on kujichagulia's. He's now happily learning Portuguese in Japan, while continuing to improve his Japanese:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4640 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 23
26 April 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Paco wrote:

P.S.
Dear moderators, please excuse me for posting the links directly. I don't know why but
the URL function does not work for me these days.

I'm not a moderator, but if I may try to make a suggestion here: Do you mean when using
the link icon at the top of the reply box?

You might try typing in the url and /url BBCode directly. Since I'm not sure I can type
in an example here that you will be able to see, I will rather point you to a Wikipedia
page about BBCode:

BBCode Wikipedia page

It should also help, if the URL is long, which they always are if pointing to forum
posts, if you stretch out the reply box. You can do this by dragging the bottom right-
hand corner of the inner rectangle within the reply box. (It is slightly hatched).

Try to make it big enough such that the entire URL fits on one line.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6715 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 16 of 23
27 April 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Talib wrote:
As for learning an additional language, it is useful for the study of knowledge that I am interested in, but it is less useful, so its gets less time accordingly. I think its a matter of priorities and goals.

If you were all about language wanderlust, trying new languages as a hobby etc., I wouldn't even strongly discourage you from tackling both French and German in the limited time you've got. I dabbled in lots of languages for fun / because of linguistic interests, while being usually focused on one-two "main" target languages at the same time.

However, it seems like you have very practical motivation for the study of French and German. You want to get decent reading comprehension to tackle materials in these languages.

At the moment, it might not seem reasonable to "lose" time on learning French or German, devoting more than your assigned 3,5 hours per week, but really, this seems like a reasonable choice in the long run. If you decide to make a bit more time for French or German by cutting on other activities (not necessarily those related to Arabic, it's all up to you), you'll get much sooner to the level where you'll be able to use the language as a tool, and it won't feel like such a waste of time anymore. On the other hand, if you don't find enough time for French/German, you may totally waste the little time you will find, making only little progress and not getting the skills you could make use of, at least not in any foreseeable future. (Again, I'm assuming your reasons for learning languages are purely/mostly practical, and you're not all about "enjoying the linguistic journey" ;)).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version