United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 17 of 23
27 April 2013 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:

If you were all about language wanderlust, trying new languages as a hobby etc., I wouldn't even strongly discourage you from tackling both French and German in the limited time you've got. I dabbled in lots of languages for fun / because of linguistic interests, while being usually focused on one-two "main" target languages at the same time.

However, it seems like you have very practical motivation for the study of French and German. You want to get decent reading comprehension to tackle materials in these languages.

Thanks Julie. To be honest, I would say that it has more to do with wanderlust, but wanderlust in itself is not sufficient motivation for me to learn a language. For example, I really like the Spanish language, but I'm more interested in the language from a linguistic perspective than actually doing anything useful with it. I'm less interested in French or German, but they are more useful because I may move to Northern Africa where French is spoken, and they are both useful as research languages. I also like Urdu and Turkish (perhaps even more than the others) despite how I imagine myself as being less likely to learn them since they have a reputation of being more difficult.

I take these possibilities to their logical conclusion and see what kind of benefit is possible. As a former linguistics student, I am more interested in learning about languages than actually learning them, so I need to have a good enough reason to up roll up sleeves and get to work.

Edited by Talib on 27 April 2013 at 12:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 

Message 18 of 23
27 April 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

do you still *study* Arabic, btw, or do you just study those secret things through it? sounds like it might be the time to reduce the time spent on Arabic itself and not the fascinating (or dangerous?) stuff.

You are not the only one who thinks its dangerous.
Dangerous Knowledge: Orientalism and its Discontents

p.s. I'm actually studying classical logic and grammar in Arabic, so its not as dangerous as it initially sounds.

Edited by Talib on 27 April 2013 at 8:53pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 23
27 April 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
As I said, I don't *think* it's dangerous... I just got a terrifying thought about WHO could be reading this forum.
Isn't Latin a very useful language for classical logic and grammar?

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 

Message 20 of 23
27 April 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I don't know much about Latin, but the Arabs originally took logic from Greek sources and translations of their works.

One of the benefits of studying logic in Arabic is that it prepares the student to study advanced texts in Arabic rhetoric which are filled with logic terminology. The books in Arabic rhetoric, syntax, and morphology are then used to study Islamic texts in which the terminology is needed to make sense of highly fascinating linguistic discussions. The level of grammar needed to understand these discussions is above and beyond the basic grammar needed for general reading, so it takes a bit of preparation just to start reading the linguistic commentaries.

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4056 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 21 of 23
27 April 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
You're reading about logic in Arabic? That is...intense. I mean I spent a lot of time a
while back reading about ancient/medieval logic. I read the Greek and Sanskrit in their
respective original tongues but I've no knowledge of Arabic. Which is a shame since
quite
a few monographs tend to discuss these all together.

That is impressive.

As for the title, I think it is definitely possible, and in some cases for me has been
necessary, to study more than one language at a time. I've found the trick is serious
hardcore drilling. I should, as a disclaimer, point out that often this is for passive
acquisition for research purposes not, say, going to France and chatting so I don't
know
how effective this would be for proper conversation.

EDIT: Also, I hate to be that boring guy, but: Since technically we never master a
language fully, we're always learning more than one language. :P You just have to
decide at what level you're ready to increase your workload.

Edited by Lykeio on 27 April 2013 at 10:45pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 23
27 April 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
this isn't just another post discussing whether you should learn two languages at the same time. same time here means "same session", as the OP is only willing to put in 30 mins a day, either for only French or together with German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 

Message 23 of 23
28 April 2013 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
"You're reading about logic in Arabic?"

I tried learning logic on my own, but it was too difficult. Now I'm taking a class in it and it is much more manageable because the teacher helps with the translation and explains the passages. (I sent you a private message about Arabic logic.)    

"this isn't just another post discussing whether you should learn two languages at the same time. same time here means "same session", as the OP is only willing to put in 30 mins a day, either for only French or together with German."

Yeah, it's more about whether it can be done under the 30 min. constraint. I think that many of the discussions about learning two languages at a time focus on how the two languages might get confused in speaking. Since the topic was for reading knowledge, it kind of bypasses that objection.   

Edited by Talib on 28 April 2013 at 2:10am

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version