Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4018 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 73 of 116
02 February 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much, Agantik, this is really helpful...I am somewhat relieved.
1 person has voted this message useful

pandorasighs
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3900 days ago

15 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 74 of 116
05 February 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Hi Suzie
I look forward to following your progress! My main language is German at the moment - I'm aiming to achieve a stong C1, but I hope to resume my French studies in March (I'm approximately a B1 for reading and grammar, but must be an A1 for speaking skills). I also aim to start learning Dutch this year, so I think your blog will be very inspiring for me.

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4018 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 75 of 116
09 February 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Hi Pandorasighs,thanks for visiting my log, and good luck with your language studies! Sounds as if our French is roughly on the same level as mine. Just in the past weeks my speaking skills felt A1-ish to me, too :-(

My 6WC and February itself had a somewhat slow start, but at least I did more than nothing. Spent quite some time in front of the TV, and I am surprised about the differences in comprehension - sometimes things go naturally, I follow the dialogues without even noticing that they're in French. And sometimes I am just staring at the screen, not understanding any single word of what is said. I keep reminding myself that my French has really improved throughout the past year, but I am sometimes a bit dissapointed on its slow progress.

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4051 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 76 of 116
09 February 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Suzie, this is about where I am with Dutch: sometimes I feel like I understand most of what's being said on TV (I'm
somewhere around A1, with occasional bursts of A2 understanding), and then come parts where I can't even catch
the words being said, let alone understand them...

I'm returning to some basic courses, to retrain my ear for some of the more repetitive phrases. It's a bit boring, but
until I can "get" the basic stuff, moving on to more advanced material is just an exercise in frustration.

Read some Mary Higgins Clark in French: I loved feeling like I was understanding so much, which was a nice change
from the Balzac and Moliere I learned in school!

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4018 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 77 of 116
09 February 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, VivianJ5! In fact, a Mary Higgins Clark novel is just waiting in my book shelf! And I have already read one in Dutch a while ago, for the very same reasons.

It's a good advice to return to basic stuff. I agree that one should not overcharge oneself with too difficult stuff. Personally, I hope that a good mix of entertainment and challenging material that requires me to look up some words on the one hand, and of more boring and monotonous exercises and language material, imprinting the grammar and vocabulary into my brain, on the other hand, will do it.

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4018 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 78 of 116
01 March 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
It's time for the monthly update.....

French
Although I had registered for the 6 week challenge, I didn't do a lot in February. Saying - only very few active vocabulary or grammar studies. I had already feared that I wouldn't have that much time and energy to study, but I couldn't even meet my very low expectations....

I did, however, watch a lot TV in the past four weeks, 995 minutes in total. Since May last year, I thus have had more than 10'000 minutes of listening practice, one third of my original goal.
When watching TV, I still prefer dubbed US series with familiar content. I have now added "The Voice Belgique" to my watching list, which is surprisingly easy to understand, and also fun.

I also had some successful conversations and finally see my speaking skills improve little by little.

Dutch

Not that much to report here either - but I continued to read "De Tweeling", with 150 pages left.

No targets for March, as I have still a lot of non-language-related activities planned in my free time. I am starting to realise that 2014 may not be the perfect year for me to study..... :-(
2 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5355 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 79 of 116
02 March 2014 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Hoi Suzie! Hoe gaat alles met je Nederlands? Alles goed in Belgie? Is het voorjaar daar al in de lucht te voelen? Hoop
alles gaat goed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4018 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 

Message 80 of 116
05 March 2014 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Hoi Vos! Wat leuk te hier te ontmoeten!
Voorjaar - 'tis niet alleen in de lucht, maar al in de planten! De krokussen bloeien, en even de rozen in mijn tuin krijgen al knoppen. Wat een gek weer - we hebben deze winter alleen twee dagen met ijs en sneeuw gehad. Ik ben een beetje teleurgesteld...ik hou van sneeuw....

I am usually not the sort of person that distributes links to YT videos with talking cats....but this one is really great...I have watched it over and over again in the past days....and I learned a lot of French by doing so!!

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version