Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
reddd
United Kingdom
Joined 4074 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 1 of 17
03 May 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I couldn't see a thread for this anywhere really but I'm sure there is one somewhere. So I'm asking this in the 'advice' section because I need some. I don't know which language I want to learn. Even typing this it sounds absolutely ridiculous. haahaa.. so anyway when I first found this site I thought I wanted to learn German but after studying it for a bit I decided I didn't like it as much as I thought I did. I learnt it at school for a bit and decided to carry it on afterwards but I'm not really motivated to learn it now. Weird. But my motivation and obsession to learn a language is still here, stronger than ever if anything. So I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks looking in to different languages and two in particular have caught my eye. Mandarin and Japanese. The characters look pretty cool. So obviously these are going to be insanely difficult for someone who is native to English. But these are the two that have stuck for some reason. So I need some advise from people who have studied either . Plus if I couldn't get the pronunciation right who would be more likely to understand what I had said. I CANT MAKE UP MY MIND! I know if I choose one language and get past the beginner stage it will be fine.

Edited by reddd on 03 May 2013 at 1:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 17
03 May 2013 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Actually, there have been many and many threads like yours. And usual conclusion was
something like "learn what you are the most interested in. as you are an English native
speaker, you don't need to care about obvious usefulness that much".

Both Japanese and Mandarin require extreme dedication and much more time than learning
a language closer to your native one. Especially if you are pondering your first trully
learned foreign language. If you are really motivated to learn one of these, go for it.
But if all that leads you there is "it looks cool" than I'm afraid you could burn out
fast.

German is not a bad choice at all. It gives access to a huge book market, music,
movies, travel opportunities. And it is much easier for an English native than
Manadarin or Japanese. But if you don't want to learn it anymore, than there is quite
no point.

As you aren't pressed to learn a specific language and don't have any time limit (or at
least you don't mention it), I'd recommend you to keep searching. Find something that
you like, that would open opportunities and culture you want, something with enough
learning sources, especially if you are learning your first foreign language.

I'd say nice options for a first foreign language for you could be as well:
1.a larger romance language (French, Spanish, Italian), there are tons of resources, a
lot of culture and travel opportunities, a lot of native speakers looking for language
exchange etc.
2.Polish or Russian, as they are as well not that hard when it comes to finding
resources, they both have great literature, some good movies, nice travel opportunities
and you might find quite a lot of immigrants in your area to practice speaking with
(depends on where in UK do you live probably)
3.a Scandinavian language. your experience with German could be helpful, there is a lot
to learn from (at least for Swedish and Norwegian), great countries for travelling
4.Mandarin or Japanese, if you are determined enough to tackle one of these challenges.
After all, there is no point in learning something else if you are sure nothing else
interests you.

Good luck with choosing. Take your time, look at logs of people learning the languages,
listen to some music or vlogs on youtube in the language etc. After all, you are not
choosing fun for a weekend. You're choosing a regular companion for the years to come.

10 persons have voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4088 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 3 of 17
03 May 2013 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum reddd!

Why do you want to learn a particular language? Only because the scripts look awesome?

I am glad to know someone finds Chinese characters and Japanese scripts fascinating,
but I am afraid this reason alone is unlikely to sustain the motivation you will need
to master these exotic East Asian languages unless you are either philological,
artistic or really passionate about the scripts. If you are going to learn a language
for the language itself, you might just dive into it; time will direct you, as in the
case of your German.

Or, aside from the language itself, will you want to learn because of the cultural
heritage and literary tradition behind and inside it? Will you see a particular
language, rather than simply as a construct some peoples speak, as a key to a whole new
world?

If this idea appeals to you, I think before commencing any form of studies of the
language of your choice, you will want to read not just about the language, but also
the people who speak it, their culture and history.

In fact, I think you have a good start already as you find the scripts awesome, for you
seems to be open and interested in foreign elements. Open-mindedness and
curiosity are what make language learning possible. Still, studying a language is a
life-long commitment. The statement is more true for you (I suppose you are British?)
to learn Chinese and/or Japanese. So you will want to make sure you are not trying to
challenge your pride, but you really like the language and the marvelous things it
represents and carries.

I shall add a few more words on choosing between the two. The two languages you are
interested in are actually quite different. Though both languages are in the Chinese-
cultural circle, Japanese is still not easy for Chinese people to learn, and Japanese
culture is considered a bit exotic. So it needs investigation.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you in your studies.

Paco

P.S. I have just found out that Cavesa left a comment a few minutes earlier than me. My
comment might be little complement to that detailed advice.

Edited by Paco on 03 May 2013 at 2:19am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 17
03 May 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
reddd wrote:
I couldn't see a thread for this anywhere really but I'm sure there is one somewhere.

Try the following on for size:

How did you choose your target language?
How to Choose Which Language to Learn
Need guidance in choosing a language
Help! I can’t decide on a language!

reddd wrote:
So I'm asking this in the 'advice' section because I need some. I don't know which language I want to learn.

Two words: NORTHERN SAAMI

Now get to work! I'm bettin' on ya.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4877 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 5 of 17
03 May 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Bulgarian might help if you're with UKIP in expecting a huge influx of migrants next year. (Not trying to inject
politics into this thread, just a quip!)
1 person has voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4065 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 6 of 17
03 May 2013 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I don't know where you are in the UK, but one could feasibly learn French, Italian, Spanish, or Polish with a
tremendous amount of ease (really any European language if you're in London). I hear the first three
languages almost daily here.

All this being said, it ultimately boils down to what will make you happy and suit your purposes. However,
jumping into tough languages for reasons that appear shaky (cool script), may lead to burn out and lack of
interest in language learning as a whole. I.E 'this is useless,I will never learn a foreign language!' Whatever
you choose, you want to avoid that.

I'm not attempting to talk you out of the languages, more just consider your motivations before you begin,
and decide if they're good enough reasons to pursue a language. And, yes, cool characters might be a
good enough reason for you!

(All this being said, I think Japanese sounds pretty cool).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 17
03 May 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
To satisfy your curiosity, I recommend "Read Japanese Today" by Len Walsh. It's an entertaining book that presents the various characters and explain how they developed from pictograms that had a more obvious meaning but took much longer to write/draw. A fascinating read even for someone who has no plans to learn Japanese (like me).
Don't try to learn everything the book tells you, just enjoy. When you've gone through it you'll know if your interest is strong enough to actually study Japanese, and you'll have a more realistic idea of what it takes.
(if you want to look inside the book on Amazon, go to page 31)

also, why is it that you don't like German? Have you discovered that you can't stand listening to it? Are you tired of the grammar? Maybe it's a genuine loss of interest but perhaps it's just the methods? Take a break now and have a look at lyricstraining.com and deutsche-welle.de when you've read the Japanese book :)

Edited by Serpent on 03 May 2013 at 11:51am

eggcluck
China
Joined 4512 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 17
03 May 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
I studied both Japanese and Mandarin. I concur with the others that liking the script is simply not enough, do not forget that as cool as they may seem to you you need to remember the reading, meaning and how to write and then repeat several thousand times.

I would recommend Japanese because there are less characters and extensive reading is easier thanks to hiragana, though Chinese children's books sometimes have pin yin in the same format. I feel Japanese resources are also much easier to come by online though most UK towns have a Chinese community where they do their shopping so Chinese language can be found there and I am sure they would be happy to tell you where they get their Chinese stuff.

Japanese would ease you into the characters in a more gentle fashion and when you are ready to add Chinese thanks to Japanese you will already have some character writing remembered and just need to plug in the Chinese meaning and reading, this will decrease your work load A LOT. Japanese pronunciation is also much more English speaker friendly and comes with a number of English loan words. While Chinese does have some English loan words, Japanese has a considerable larger amount of them. Japan is also a much more accessible destination for travel, with more open visa rules and less paranoia.

Hope this helps.

Edited by eggcluck on 03 May 2013 at 12:28pm

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version