Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4344 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 17
03 May 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
reddd wrote:
So I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks looking in to different languages and two in particular have caught my eye. Mandarin and Japanese. The characters look pretty cool.

Many years ago I decided to learn Arabic because the script looked cool, and I wanted to learn a major non-Indo-European language. I realized after a while that cool script and some romantic and very vague notions about the culture weren't enough to maintain my study.

So in my experience if you are going to study Mandarin or Japanese you'd better to so more reasons than the fact that the characters look cool (which they do).

Keep in mind that by a rough estimate it takes FOUR times more work to learn either language than German. So imagine all the work you have ever done to learn German and than multiply it by four, and that will give you a vague idea of how much effort is involved.
5 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 17
03 May 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

reddd wrote:
So I'm asking this in the 'advice' section because I need some. I don't know which language I want to learn.

Two words: NORTHERN SAAMI

Now get to work! I'm bettin' on ya.

HA HA! YESSSSS!

Seriously though, If you are considering tackling Mandarin or Japanese, heed the words of Barry Farber:

Chinese is actually more of a life involvement than a language you choose to study. When you’re in your easy chair studying,
Chinese has more power to make you forget it’s dinner time than any other language. It has more power to draw you out of
bed earlier than necessary to sneak in a few more moments of study. There’s simply more there.

You really have to make these languages part of your life. (not that that is a good or bad thing, its just how it is)
3 persons have voted this message useful

reddd
United Kingdom
Joined 4074 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 11 of 17
05 May 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the good advice guys.

Cavesa - There are a lot of Polish people around here but my experience with them is that they like to keep themselves to themselves. :/

Paco - A big thing why I would be drawn to one of those languages is because of the writing system. I find it very intriguing. I realise that this alone wont give me the determination I need to continue but it might start something of, like a snowball effect. The last bit about Japanese culture being a bit exotic, I've watched a lot of vids and travel guides etc about the two countries and I find China interests me more, especially historically.

Chung - thanks for the links I had a read through all of them and they were very helpful and interesting. I actually had to look up Northern Saami as I'd never heard of it before :p

Serpent - Thanks for the amazon link I read a lot of it, it was extremely interesting. As to why I went of German I really don't know I just can't bring myself to do anything with it.

@eggcluck - thanks its very helpful to have your point of view.

I have come to the conclusion that I would really like to have a stab at one of these two languages but maybe I should start with an easier language? would really like to gain a qualification from a language since I have time at the moment to really study and it would make my CV look a lot better. So should I pick an easier language to have a go at first? Like French or German and work towards an exam or something or put all my time and effort in to Chinese/Japanese? The thing about me is that I'm an 'all or nothing' sort of person, which really does work against me a lot of the time, but when I find the language I really want to learn and enjoy it'll actually help me :P

Edited by reddd on 05 May 2013 at 4:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 12 of 17
05 May 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Go for what you find truly interesting. If you don't feel like learning French/German (and you don't need them professionally -I mean real need, not just the desire to make your CV look better), it doesn't make sense to learn it just because it's supposed to be easier. Your first fluent foreign language will take time and effort, no matter which one you pick.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 17
05 May 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Then start the snowball thing. Find a similar book for Mandarin - this one might be useful? I have no idea. Have fun learning ABOUT the characters. These are fun facts to know even if you decide you're not motivated enough to continue, and if you choose an easier language after the experiment, it will be like a breeze:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 14 of 17
05 May 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I guess some of the poles would feel flattered if you wanted to practice their language
with them and much more likely to let you in. But there is still the condition that you
would need to want to learn Polish first. That is conditio sine qua non for any
language.

Any language learnt to high level will look good on the CV(usually means B2+, for some
lower positions B1+). And you may find more opportunities thanks to a bit less usual
language. And even if you wouldn't use the language for job at all, it would still tell
a lot of positive things about you (dedication, work on yourself, ability to take what
you began with to an end etc.)

So, I think we have made a nice circle and are now standing near the point where we
started. Learn a bit more about the languages, the suggested books about Japanese and
Chinese writing sound really promising, learn more about the cultures and make a
decision based on all that. Perhaps ask uncle Google and aunt Wiki about movies, music
bands, authors etc. related to the languages. You might find something that will just
catch your attention and you'll know.

The question "What made you leave German?" was a really good one. Naming your weak
point (or allergy :-) ) can help you a lot with the decision.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 17
05 May 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
You may also want to just find out more about various languages. Volte (a forum member) has mentioned The Loom of Language; in this thread we've heard of Barry Farber (whose book this forum was named after). It seems like you have quite limited familiarity with some major languages, not to mention the relatively small ones.
1 person has voted this message useful

Romanzo
Diglot
United States
Joined 4115 days ago

15 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, French

Message 16 of 17
05 May 2013 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Do you have family or friends in other countries? Do you love music from a certain
country? These questions matter because you need to really love the culture of the
language in order to keep the motivation to learn it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version