13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
babeltower
Vietnam
Joined 4024 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 13
13 May 2013 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I am a new member so I am not sure if my question is suitable for this forum.

I don't know the difference between ALTER and ADJUST. They both show changes but it might
be different in meanings and some aspects. Please help me!
1 person has voted this message useful

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4740 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 2 of 13
13 May 2013 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
"Adjust", used by itself, implies a smaller change than "alter" does. Of course, you can
change that by using adjectives: "alter it slightly" means you didn't change much, or "it
was quite an adjustment" implies that there was a big change to get used to.

To use a sewing/tailoring metaphor, "adjust" has the feel of tweaking the hem of a dress,
while "alter" is a more drastic change that affects the style or fit a lot. If you adjust
something it may not even be noticeable, but to alter something will probably be more
visible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 13
13 May 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, babeltower! The answer mikonai gave you is correct. A common use of "alter" involves clothing. If your shirtsleeves are too long to fit properly, you might take them to a seamstress or tailor to have them "altered". They will be made shorter in order to fit you well. This is a significant change.

"Adjust" can be illustrated by a man wearing a tie that is slightly askew, a little "adjustment" will make the tie straight and more attractive. No major changes are needed for this, only a slight straightening in order to adjust it.

Edited by iguanamon on 13 May 2013 at 10:29pm

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5410 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 4 of 13
13 May 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I am no native speaker, but I would have thought that "alter" means "to change, so that it is different", but "to adjust" is "to change, so that it is fitting".
E.g. Give your eyes time to adjust (Then you will see better. They have been adapting).
The situation has altered (For the better or worse, who knows. It is different now).
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 13
14 May 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Afaiu the scale is as follows:
change - alter - adjust
:)
I'd rather say the situation has changed, if it's more or less completely different. altered would (IMO) require some additional words like "to some extent" or "somewhat".

babeltower
Vietnam
Joined 4024 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Studies: English

Message 6 of 13
14 May 2013 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
The idea of using the topic of clothing is very useful to me. I can see the difference.

Here is my example:

1. It's 7:58, Henry suddenly adjusted his coat, checked some points of speaking and got
into the room.
2. I took my shirt back to the shop to have it altered.

Are they clear?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 13
14 May 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
I would not use altered in this context. Adjusted is better.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 13
14 May 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Hehe, can't help picturing a rich guy taking his clothes to the shop etc and being told he just needs to iron them so that they could sit properly :D
given the natives' responses above, it seems like you're wrong about altered. it's just a bit less common than change or adjust. I remember being specifically taught when you should use alter rather than change.

Quote:
It's 7:58, Henry suddenly adjusted his coat, checked some points of speaking and got into the room.
I think adjust is correct here, but the whole sentence needs some adjusting:) I'd say right now you shouldn't worry about things that even natives might disagree upon. Concentrate on using the words you do know in a more natural way - I recommend you to read more and maybe use lang-8.com.

Edited by Serpent on 14 May 2013 at 8:23am

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version