Var
Diglot
United States
Joined 4016 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 9 of 34
20 May 2013 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Paco, thank you for the insightful comments. As you said, no language has "chosen me",
except perhaps French. I have to go by "statistics" (or rather, advice) because anything
else would just be a blind guess. Perhaps Korean would have a major influence in my life,
or perhaps German, French, or Spanish. I just want to choose the one that is most likely
to have a positive influence, that's all. It's a very difficult choice, but c'est la
vie

Edited by Var on 20 May 2013 at 2:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4086 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 10 of 34
20 May 2013 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Var wrote:
I just want to choose the one that is most likely
to have a positive influence, that's all.

Here you got it. I saw you edited the thread. Let's see what members in your field will
say about languages for economics.

Edited by Paco on 20 May 2013 at 2:22am

jtmc18
Diglot
United States
Joined 7054 days ago

119 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 11 of 34
20 May 2013 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Var,

I can't tell you which language to choose, but I can offer some insights from personal
experience. I'm in a rather unique position in that I come into contact with dozens of
languages every day- I work in national parks and I meet people from all over the
world. I know that your career field may be quite different, but as you are also from
the US the languages you're most likely to use are probably the same ones I encounter
daily.

Spanish- This language has opened an incredible number of doors for me. I encounter it
everywhere in the US, even here in Alaska, and I have even received a few job offers
thanks to my language skills. There are abundant resources for learning, many
countries to our south which speak it, and plenty of eager native speakers with whom to
practice. It is practically the second language of this country and the only one I had
no original doubts about learning. It is also similar to Portuguese if you want to
learn that later on. And, as a bonus, you would benefit substantially from the French
you already know.

German- I meet dozens of German speakers every day and they can almost always speak at
least some English. In many cases, they do not appreciate being offered park
literature in German, much less spoken to for any length of time in their language.
Several of my co-workers are proficient in German and it is much more difficult for
them to practice with native speakers than it is for me as a Spanish speaker. While
there's no doubt that learning German is beneficial, I expect that you have to speak it
quite well to benefit professionally from it. I have chosen to invest my time in
learning other Romance languages for now, but I may pick up German some time just for
personal interest. Job prospects are not a motivator for me.

Korean- I have met many Koreans and they love to practice their English with me. I
have been informed by several that English is now an important subject in schools. I
think you'd have to reach a high level of Korean before the language was useful in a
professional capacity.

Of course, there are many reasons to study languages besides professional or economic
benefits. Probably a more important factor for me is how much I can practice the
language in my environment- languages are, after all, largely about human interaction,
and that's primarily what I enjoy about them. Spanish was a no-brainer for me: I used
it three times just this morning (and I'm in Alaska- imagine being in Florida with that
skill!). Portuguese would be a good one to know also- I'm hearing it more and more
these days. You could probably learn both these languages in the time it would take to
learn German alone, to say nothing of Korean.

My opinion is worth what it cost you, but I do not regret my choice to learn Spanish.
Best of luck in your decision!
7 persons have voted this message useful

Var
Diglot
United States
Joined 4016 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes

Message 12 of 34
20 May 2013 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
jtmc18, your post was incredibly helpful, thank you. In fact, I think I've gotten as much
advice as I need to make a decision. The main thing going for German was the economics
factor, but as you've said (and I heard) German is something you really need to master to
be able to use it significantly. Also, it seems that Spanish, and perhaps Portuguese,
would offer better opportunities considering my major. Finally, Spanish is the lowest
time commitment which is truly important to me as I get situated in college.

The only question that remains is when I will begin studying. I'll either start within
the month or wait a year or two until I'm comfortable with my workload in college. That's
up for me to figure out though - thanks for you help, and thanks to everyone else in
facilitating this decision.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 34
20 May 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
First of all, you might want to avoid a few disappointments:

1.Any student going to study abroad in the language of the country goes there to, among
other huge reasons, immerse themselves in the language. So, unless the foreign students
need money, I wouldn't expect them to give you any practice.

2.This can happen in other situations as well. I can always lie "Me not speaks any
Englisch" but you are unlikely to get away with this :-)

Secondly, the language and the job opportunities:

1.Don't make a choice entirely based on job opportunities you can see now. Your view is
not that broad now at the beginning of the path and many will reveal themselves after
you learn the language. And after you finish your university studies.

2.You can already speak English so taking a popular language at all costs is not
necessary.

3.Germany is a huge economy now but many people are going there for jobs, they are not
waiting for you as their saint savior. On the other hand, there are rising economies
where a lot of opportunities are and will be. The whole South America is among them
(and Brazil is a leading force). So is Russia or India or Poland. Spanish is surely not
a bad language to choose.

4.By the time you are proficient at the chosen language and have your studies finished,
the world will be a bit different place and perhaps in an unexpected way. There were
times when people would say "learn Japanese, it's going to be sooo important in ten
years" and it didn't happen.

So what to do:

1.I don't think you have explored all your options. You are choosing a companion for
the rest of your life and you have included just a few languages in the choice. And
they are not even languages you are too passionate about. Take a bit of time to explore
what would various options offer to you. Both those you are considering and others.

2.Choose the one you would enjoy more as you will be more likely to learn it well and
therefore use it for the job as you wish. From the list of options you wrote, it seems
to be Spanish. And it would be a nice choice. Lots of learning sources, lots of natives
many of which seem to prefer it over English, great travel opportunities, probably a
lot of job opportunities, a lot of music and literature and movies,... And it will be
much easier as you already know French.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Var
Diglot
United States
Joined 4016 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes

Message 14 of 34
20 May 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Cavesa.

Regarding my choices being relatively few, it's simply because I am trying to "hedge my
bets" for which language would work best for me right now. It is hard to account for
"passion" in a decision because you have to truly understand something to be passionate
about it -- just as I can't simply look at a girl and know if I love her or not.

Spanish culture intrigues me. Korea, China, and Japan have very interesting an diverse
cultures, almost otherworldly. The Russian language sounds great to my ear and it has a
deep history. Arabic also has a very diverse history with many inspiring philosophers
and traditions. In short, I can see myself being passionate about any language.

From your and jtmc's post, I'm starting to realize that the ability to talk with
friends in a foreign language is massively important. It's the reason I started
learning Korean. Because of this, the fact that it is the quickest to learn already
knowing French, the promising opportunities in South America, the doors it opens for
Portuguese and Italian, the culture, and the opportunity it offers to refine my
language acquisition techniques, I agree that Spanish is the best choice.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 34
21 May 2013 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Well, than you might want to treat it like finding a girlfriend. Get to know a few of
those around you a bit in a friendly way, listen to them, find whether you have some
interests in common or whether she can open a whole new universe to you and than try
whether you'll make a good couple :-)

This parallel is not that original, there was even a wonderful funny thread about
divorces with languages, I recommend reading it.

A good thing to consider might as well be some of the opportunities your university
offers, such as going abroad for a semester or a summer stay in an enterprise abroad and
so on. These things might be a much better opportunity than foreigners in your courses
and many universities support such experience for their students.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6781 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 16 of 34
22 May 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
jtmc18 wrote:
German- I meet dozens of German speakers every day and they can almost
always speak at least some English. In many cases, they do not appreciate being offered
park literature in German, much less spoken to for any length of time in their language.
Several of my co-workers are proficient in German and it is much more difficult for them
to practice with native speakers than it is for me as a Spanish speaker.

Just curious - do you happen to know why these German speakers don't want to receive park
literature in German? I can understand if they don't like speaking with someone in
German if they believe that their English is more fluent than the other person's German,
but it seems a bit odd to me that they wouldn't even want written materials in their own
native language.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version