Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
casamata
Joined 4071 days ago

237 posts - 377 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 33 of 34
03 June 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
If it's hard to give advice, one simple thing I would like to know is how much longer
would it
take for a French-speaker to learn German than Spanish? More than twice as long?

Thanks for your time and consideration.[/QUOTE]

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/lang uage-difficulty

German is about 20% more time-intensive than Spanish for an English speaker. But since you have a French base, that skews you even more towards Spanish.

Spanish is great if you want to talk to a lot of people in person in the US but German and French are great for other things, too. Maybe if you have a love for French literature or watching Montreal Canadian interviews in French or whatever, you might like to continue it to a more advanced level.

At the very least, I would recommend reaching a level high enough (B1-2?) in which you won't get confused with another language. For example, you don't have to think about conjugating verbs; you conjugate them automatically.

Edit: I just saw some other posts and you seem to have chosen to continue French with Spanish on the backburner later. I don't know what others think, but if you just look at it *economically*, I really don't think the investment in language learning is very worthwhile for a native English speaker in the US. It is much more about just being interested in the foreign culture or the challenge, in my biased opinion. I sure as heck don't learn Spanish for economic benefit; English is really all I need (and in most fields this applies) to make a good living.

Oh, and if you dedicate the same amount of time to languages but divide it into several languages, you won't speak them as well as just one language, obviously. I had a lot of classmates that after Spanish learned French or Portuguese and it was pretty obvious to me that their Spanish suffered. But if you doubled your time to languages and spent X time on French and X on Spanish, you will most likely speak two languages as well as you would have spoken one. But your major should be your priority and the languages a fun hobby that doesn't interfere with your grades.

Edited by casamata on 03 June 2013 at 8:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 34 of 34
03 June 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I think you should go for the one you like best, but yes, French gives you a head start on Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version