Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Anyone else enjoy Καθαρεύουσα literature?

Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4159 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 13
04 June 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
I'll look around too, maybe I'll find something.
1 person has voted this message useful

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4256 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 10 of 13
04 June 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:

Where do you find this kind of texts
Quote:
often in the public domain and available on-
line
?

Some are available in Google books. Searches there usually work best in Roman transliteration, using a long-mark
to distinguish ε/η, ο/ω.

Τhe real treasure trove, however, is Ἀνέμη (http://anemi.lib.uoc.gr/), which has digitized many of the books in the
Univ. of Crete library.

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4256 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 

Message 11 of 13
04 June 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:

Does Estia still come in katharevousa? When I was taking the panellinies exams it was, and we were supposed to
read it in order to become more familiar with those types of the language.

Ἑστία still uses the polytonic system and maintains a light veneer of καθαρεύουσα. Its current style would simply
have been regarded as καθομιλουμένη twenty or thirty years ago (use of gen. -έως in certain third decl. nouns,
preference for ὅτι over πως, consistent retention of final -ν on τὸν/τὴν/δὲν, etc., some more conservative spellings
and vocabulary choices). The puristic elements are not strong enough to be a stepping stone even to reading
simple καθαρεύουσα like Papadiamantis.

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4256 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 

Message 12 of 13
04 June 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:

Emmanuel Rhoidis (who also, IIRC, wrote a defence of demotic...in puristic)

Whether he was following it consciously or not, he had a good precedent in Dante's Latin defense of the vernacular,
De Vulgari Eloquentia.

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4256 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 

Message 13 of 13
04 June 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Lykeio wrote:

So, yes, divorced of its idealism its actually kind of cool. ESPECIALLY when authors play with
register and have lower class people talk in almost village like dimotic. Reminiscent
of those old Sanskrit plays. I do think though generally (modern) Greek prose has came
a long way since though. But once you get over the knee jerk reaction its nice to read
now and then.

One of the reasons that I enjoy well-written katharevousa is that I find it so clear. That's probably just a
function of the fact that I learned Ancient Greek before learning Modern Greek. I agree that Modern Greek
literature has come a long way, but Demotic literature has its excesses, too. Many demotic authors, especially of
yesteryear, apply dialectical forms with just as much prescriptivist fervor as the katharevousa authors. I love
Kazantzakis, but get annoyed with all the Cretan dialectic. I enjoy that type of thing in the mouth of a character,
since it makes the character seem more real, but in the basic narration of a novel (unless the story is being
narrated in the voice of a character, it becomes tedious). Unless I'm mistaken, student editions of Kazantzakis
have to be pretty heavily annotated just to explain all the vocabulary specific to Crete.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version