18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4668 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 1 of 18
13 June 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone after the long break.

Another time I've come back to reading about shadowing. And I'd finally like to try it. BUT. To be honest, I don't know how to do it. I mean, let's take this link: http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowing . Ok, during the first 8 days I only take the first step, during another one the first and the second one and during the eleventh day steps no 1, 2 and 3? And what about the another 9 steps from the list? When, how?

I know, these are the questions of a total dumb, but I'd finally like to know how does it work in practice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 18
13 June 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
It's all up to you. Experiment. Shadowing describes the technique of speaking simultaneously with your recording rather than repeating. The only two kinds of shadowing I've done are shadowing with and without the accompanying text. I wouldn't call the first 'blind shadowing' because I understood almost everything and could think and write comfortably but lacked speaking skills.
I've also done scriptorium but never with texts that I had previously shadowed.

The article needs some editing, I would say... I've renamed the section that made all that stuff sound compulsory, at least.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5184 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 18
13 June 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Shadowing Step by Step by Prof A
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4668 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 4 of 18
13 June 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
I know this video...

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 18
13 June 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
So, what's your question again?

The method itself doesn't have any steps, you just repeat what you hear, as simultaneously as possibly. You follow the audio like a shadow.

However, if you want shadowing to add certain skills little by little (I remember ProfArguelles saying that each step peeled layers of an onion), do it in steps.

Blind shadowing - shadow whatever audio you hear, without the text in front of you. Do this for one lesson, three lessons, ten lessons, as many as you want. I think Arguelles suggests ten lessons.

Add each new step (read L1, read L1 - have a look at L2, read L2 - have a look at L1, read L2 etc.) to the earliest lesson you're studying. Add a new blind shadowing lesson at the end.
4 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4668 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 6 of 18
13 June 2013 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much.
If it's so easy then I don't understand why it was made so complicated on language wiki.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 18
13 June 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Basically, it's all summarized pretty well just below "Schedule":
"At one time, you should be doing 10 lessons of blind shadowing. As you add a new lesson each day, former lessons have the next step applied to them."

Maybe someone tried to summarize what Arguelles talks about in a number of his videos. He does mention the written aspect, alright. At some point, you want to be able to write in the target language, and doing that with material you've already covered (e.g. the Assimil lessons) would reinforce everything you've learned. But steps 1 - 5 are most important for (and most related to) shadowing itself.

Some of the steps 6 - 12 can be done at the same time. For instance, the analysis step (#6) is probably done anyway without waiting to "apply that step until the next day", and why not read aloud when you're at it? You're probably correcting the text while you're typing it (steps 8 - 10), and reading silently is something I would ignore, unless it was particlarly interesting (imagine "reading" a 45 second long Assimil dialogue which you've already shadowed a number of times, read, analysed and what not ... ). I might do (some of the) steps 6 - 12 as my 6th "scriptorium" step.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5674 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 8 of 18
14 June 2013 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
I'm just a bit confused about the order of the steps, i can see why you'd want to work your way to just looking at your TL text, but to me it's much easier to follow the audio when reading in the TL. Trying to shadow while reading the translation is incredibly difficult, especially for languages with very different structures/word order. I also have a hard time figuring out what sounds i'm supposed to be making until i've looked at the TL text. Do i just need to practice more and get the method down? I mean, does it get easier the more you go along?

When reading the translation, where should most of my concentration be? On the audio or the translation? And should i be trying to translate from into my TL or just try to repeat what i hear while reading? It's been explained many times before, but it seems really complicated and difficult.

EDIT: Also, while i don't think this is quite as important, how many lessons should you be doing a day? It mentions 10 blind-shadowing + whatever other steps you're on, does that come up to around 15 lessons a day?

Edited by Crush on 14 June 2013 at 8:31am

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version