Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4120 days ago

57 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 9 of 18
14 June 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
If we follow that schedule it means i will have to apply each step to every lesson 10 times. If the idea is to go through an Assimil book in 90 days; i don't see it viable. I would rather apply a new step after repeating the previous one twice. Such schedule would be;

Day 1
Blind Shadow lesson 1

Day 2
Blind Shadow lesson 1 and 2

Day 3
Blind Shadow lesson 2 and 3
Shadow and read English Transcription 1

Day 4
Blind Shadow lesson 3 and 4
Shadow and read English Transcription 1 and 2

and so on. Ideally I'd eventually reach a point where i have 10 lessons a day to do; and no more. And i'd be applying steps 6 to 12 to lessons i'm done shadowing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 18
14 June 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I'm just a bit confused about the order of the steps, i can see why you'd want to work your way to just looking at your TL text, but to me it's much easier to follow the audio when reading in the TL. Trying to shadow while reading the translation is incredibly difficult, especially for languages with very different structures/word order.
I've never done this and I don't think it's a must. I'll say what I've already added to the article: skip some steps if you feel like it. It's more of a guide to mastering Assimil than just a guide to shadowing. If Assimil is a supplement for you because your other resources don't have good audio or some such, you can ignore most of the steps.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 11 of 18
14 June 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
For Basque, for example, Assimil is one of my main resources. When listening a lot of times i can't make out words until i've seen them. Today i tried starting looking at the Basque (after having compared the translations and read the notes) and gradually working my way to the Spanish and by the end it felt like i'd learned the material much better, though it could be because i studied the lesson twice as long today (once normally and once again after reading some of the posts here).

I'm curious how the actual shadowing is supposed to work, should i be translating or just trying to repeat what i hear while reading? It's difficult to concentrate on all three at once, listening, shadowing, and reading. I think it'd be a good way to improve your active recall of words and grammar since i've been finding i can recognize words and understand sentences but can't actively recall them. And especially with the participles and conjugations i've been relying more on context to understand them. Actively producing them i think would make it easier to remember them.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 18
14 June 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
You definitely shouldn't be translating. Ideally you should be understanding, but not necessarily every single word. They should just sound clear enough for you to be able to shadow them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 13 of 18
14 June 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so what i say should be based more off what i hear than what i read. That's something i always wondered about. I'll try it out tomorrow, thanks!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 18
15 June 2013 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Here is Professor Arguelles' own text description (also of Scriptorium):

Shadowing & Scriptorium

and for reference, here are his own links to his videos:

Prof. Arguelles' videos

He lists 3 about shadowing, under "Other Methodological Videos:"

In addition, there is also a short (about 1 minute) video of him demonstrating shadowing Mandarin, while walking back and forth across
a bridge:

bridge shadowing video

You can also find a few shadowing videos on Youtube by other people.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 18
15 June 2013 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Anthony Lauder's take on Shadowing:

How to Listen 003 - Shadowing

Steve Kauffmann:

The language learning technique of
shadowing.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 18
15 June 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Jarel wrote:
If we follow that schedule it means I will have to apply each step to every lesson 10 times.

It does? The only step I see is being applied several times is blind shadowing, and that's only because Arguelles doesn't progress to the next step until he has blind shadowed a fair share of the language (e.g. ten Assimil lessons).

The amount of lessons you'd be studying each day would vary depending on the number of steps, how many times you're applying each step, and how many lessons you're blind shadowing before actually studying the content. My example (based on Arguelles' ten lessons, and then a new step per day):

Day 1: Blind shadow lesson 1
Day 2: Blind shadow lessons 1-2
Day 3: Blind shadow lessons 1-3
Day 4: Blind shadow lessons 1-4
Day 5: Blind shadow lessons 1-5
Day 6: Blind shadow lessons 1-6
Day 7: Blind shadow lessons 1-7
Day 8: Blind shadow lessons 1-8
Day 9: Blind shadow lessons 1-9
Day 10: Blind shadow lessons 1-10
Day 11: Blind shadow lessons 2-11, read L1 - lesson 1
Day 12: Blind shadow lessons 3-12, read L1 - lesson 2, read L1 and have a look at L2 - lesson 1
Day 13: Blind shadow lessons 4-13, read L1 - lesson 3, read L1 and have a look at L2 - lesson 2, read L2 and have a look at L1 - lesson 1
Day 14: Blind shadow lessons 5-14, read L1 - lesson 4, read L1 and have a look at L2 - lesson 3, read L2 and have a look at L1 - lesson 2, read L2 - lesson 1
Day 15: Blind shadow lessons 6-15, read L1 - lesson 5, read L1 and have a look at L2 - lesson 4, read L2 and have a look at L1 - lesson 2, read L2 - lesson 2 ... If you want to do something more with lesson 1, you could copy it by hand/type the text/read aloud/whatever, but I wouldn't do much more than that. Studying a short Assimil dialogue for over two weeks (albeit using different methods) is a lot of time. Even 10-15 of those add up to 30-45 minutes after a couple of weeks, and then the dialogues get longer and longer ...

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 15 June 2013 at 3:43pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version