Portugal
Joined 5854 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 61
15 June 2013 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Perhaps extreme forms of immersion might appear ridiculous to some, or perhaps any form
of extremism. For example choosing to read nothing but comic books in the target
language day in day out.

Or speaking to your cat only ever in L2, and to your dog in L3. (Cats and dogs rarely
speak to each other, so I don't think this is a form of animal cruelty).

That reminds me of the following:

Some friends of mine own a Norwegian Forest cat. An acquaintance said she was sorry for the cat not being able to understand their owners. When asked why, she replied: "Oh, but one here speaks Norwegian. Poor cat."

Edited by Luso on 15 June 2013 at 2:12am

2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5223 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 10 of 61
15 June 2013 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
In addition to the most ridiculous methods, there should be a section for the most outlandish claims. For example, without mentioning any names, here is the text from the home page of well-known language institute based in London, England:

"Regardless of your current level - whether you speak absolutely none or just some of the language you want to learn - our aim is to have you conversing in it by the end of your two days with us!

Unlike conventional language courses, there are no textbooks, there is no rote-memorisation and no lecturing is involved.

Most people who have ever tried to learn a language come out of the process convinced that they are actually incapable of learning one - in spite of the fact that they somehow managed to learn to speak their own language – and this when they were only toddlers!

When students come to learn a language with us, no one fails – that is an absolute promise! If you can speak English then we can teach you to speak another language and to speak it well."

Can you really learn to converse in two days?
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 61
15 June 2013 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Can you really learn to converse in two days?

Once again, you haven't defined the level.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4802 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 61
15 June 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
As long as you find asking for directions and buying something to eat to be a conversation, sure. :-)

The cookie method sounds good. :-D
2 persons have voted this message useful

tanya b
United States
Joined 4571 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 13 of 61
15 June 2013 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
For the most ridiculous language learning methods, here are my recommendations--

Sleep with TL dictionary under your pillow.

Work as panhandler in front of embassy of TL country.

Call total strangers in TL country, pretending to be long-lost relative.

Open up your studio apartment to impoverished refugees from TL country.

Pose as drunken illegal alien in order to be placed in Immigration holding cell with speakers of TL.

Stow away in taxi driven by TL speaker. Record his cell-phone conversations with loved ones.

To maximize language absorption into entire body, only wear clothing manufactured in TL country.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4802 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 14 of 61
15 June 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
You forgot: Eat only meals typical of the TL's countries.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4640 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 15 of 61
15 June 2013 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Marry a native speaker of your TL. Oh, and go to a foreign country and just let the language "soak in."

Oh, and this is a doozy: "If you want to learn how to read a newspaper in your TL, read a newspaper in your TL." Okaaaayy... how am I supposed to understand all those strange words, then?

Edited by kujichagulia on 15 June 2013 at 11:06am

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 61
15 June 2013 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
In the beginning you use a dictionary, or an online one.

When I started Romanian (I knew a little bit) I started talking to one of my friends (we
switched from English to Romanian). In the beginning she'd just translate a sentence if
she figured I would not understand; within two months she was only translating individual
words for me. She'd also correct me if I made any egregious grammar mistakes (but usually
let it slide). Within three months, I was chatting in Romanian, and we were having
discussions about university and future plans, and I could understand her point.

It takes a bit of time to get over the initial hurdle, but I got really good at chatting
in both Romanian and Russian this way. This is not to say I speak either perfectly, I
don't, but I can hold conversations in both.

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version